Should we get rid of the need for handiccp certificates for visitors to play?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But it doesn't just stop the oiks
I may be looking through Club websites, trying to decide which course to play, maybe even join, and if I don't have a handicap certificate and Club A demands one - according to their info - but course B doesn't then I'm automatically going to be more drawn to Club B.
To me, demanding handicap certificates or having handicap limits smacks of the Elitism that we all want to see eradicated from Golf today.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The thing that gets me is when a club says you must be under a 24 handicap etc to play. I would say that as a 26 handicap does that mean I am not good enough to play there. I drive the ball 240 yards, know all the rules and am quite anal about etiquette. I am not a slow player (two and a half hours on my own for 18 holes) nor do I take 120 shots so why am I penalised.

I'd actually be surprised if a club didn't accept your green fee on the basis of you being 26hcap when their 'limit' is 24 - especially if you can present a hcap certificate to prove it. I'm thinking that this limit is a bit like pubs and 'Over 21s only' rule as many will serve you if you can prove you are 18 or over.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We don't have a formal marshal for general daily play - though if a society is playing or if members complain to the office over a group - then our secretary jumps onto a buggy and off he goes to do a bit of marshalling.
I remember being in this position once and charged out on the jeep to see a 4 ball of members holding up the rest of the course.
I was getting ready to read the roit act when I glanced at the booking print out and noticed that there should have been a two ball in front of them.
The 4 ball told me in no uncertain terms to sort out that two ball as they were holding up the entire course.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I am going to make a statement that some will find elitist,but isn't meant to be,why can't those that have never bothered to join a club and get a h/c cert play their golf on municipal courses and learn the game and its rules,why should just being able to afford to play my or any other private members club be the only criteria needed.

Bit of a dangerous assumption to make that anyone who is not a member of a club is not a member because they do not know the rules or how to play the game. I'm not a member of a club for pure financial reasons, as due to my work/life balance it would not make financial sense for me to be a member. But I hope you are not inferring I should stick to municipals.

DCB

Visit site
Why have so many got a downer on municipal courses ? Yes there are some poor ones but there are also some good ones. Or is it different down South ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need to be careful with this. Most sensible clubs will allow a player without a handicap certificate to play so long as there is some suggestion they have half a clue what they are doing. Some of the US municipals which have no restrictions end up destroyed with divots and damage everywhere, and the rounds take 6 hours.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may be looking through Club websites, trying to decide which course to play, maybe even join, and if I don't have a handicap certificate and Club A demands one - according to their info - but course B doesn't then I'm automatically going to be more drawn to Club B.

I would be drawn the other way....and when they say they don't permit 4 balls I make a booking straight away! :whoo:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of a dangerous assumption to make that anyone who is not a member of a club is not a member because they do not know the rules or how to play the game. I'm not a member of a club for pure financial reasons, as due to my work/life balance it would not make financial sense for me to be a member. But I hope you are not inferring I should stick to municipals.
if you look at it from the eyes of someone who has committed to spending over a £1000 to join a club and then over £800 a year in green fees,why should we have any happy hacker with £30 in his pocket from playing the course,when I was referring to municipal courses it was only the fact these are there for those that had chosen for one thing or another to not be a member of a club.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In over 25 years of playing golf I've only been asked to produce a handicap certificate twice.
Once at Vilamoura Old and the other at Woodhall Spa the year before last. They didn't ask for them there this year.
If you look (and act) like a golfer when you walk in the pro shop to pay your green fee, they won't ask for one.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
if you look at it from the eyes of someone who has committed to spending over a £1000 to join a club and then over £800 a year in green fees,why should we have any happy hacker with £30 in his pocket from playing the course

Because, as a lot of clubs are losing members, a whole lot of courses will probably need the visitors fees to survive financially? Is it really a sensible business plan for any club to say 'unless you can stump up £1800 you can not play this course'?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because, as a lot of clubs are losing members, a whole lot of courses will probably need the visitors fees to survive financially? Is it really a sensible business plan for any club to say 'unless you can stump up £1800 you can not play this course'?
we do have visitors but the numbers are strictly limited and no societies on a weekend (or there was !!!!!) the problem I have with your statement is it assumes that just because you can afford to play a round on a private members club,it is your god given right to and for your £30 you expect to be treated as a full member,I like all members of golf clubs have made our choices and committed our finances to play that course,as far as I am concerned a full member takes priority over a day tripper.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think handicap limits are needed. I'd personally set them at 12 for really top courses.

BUt what defines a "12" handicap? The Guy might be brilliant Tee to Green but a rubbish putter or it could be the other way round - is a 13 handicapper really that much worse than a 12...? 12.4 vs 12.5?

In over 25 years of playing golf I've only been asked to produce a handicap certificate twice.
Once at Vilamoura Old and the other at Woodhall Spa the year before last. They didn't ask for them there this year.
If you look (and act) like a golfer when you walk in the pro shop to pay your green fee, they won't ask for one.

Then why promote that they want them on the Website? Anyone - even Fragger - can look and act like a Golfer for 5 minutes in the shop.
If they say on the site that they require them then they should insist on them - if not why bother?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then why promote that they want them on the Website? Anyone - even Fragger - can look and act like a Golfer for 5 minutes in the shop.

not in this he doesn't

Chapsschwarz.jpg:eek::eek::eek:

I think some places pretend to ask for them to keep the members happy, it gives an illusion of exclusivity. There is a big sign at our place stating they are required, they are never asked for. It keeps some of the more traditional members quiet. :thup:

not sure why you would limit vistors to a 12 handicap, you may aswell say cat 1 and be done with it. enjoy paying another £500 on your subs :D

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
We all need visitors at our private clubs to generate a much needed income that keeps our annual fees down. What I do not want though is casual golfers turning up that are not what we would call 'real golfers' turning the place into something like the local pay and play. I have noticed lately a few visitors turning up on the winter deals that are not in the category of what I would call 'real golfers'.

I have seen them hacking chunks out of the fairway as they keep nudging the ball forward, even though they did replace them I am worried what they do when they are not in view of others. Also the fact that they are taking forever to get round as they are obviously not use to playing somewhere that is tight and take forever searching for balls and trying to get them out of the trees.

I am not a golfing snob, although I may come across as one in this post. I am just of the opinion like a couple of others have mentioned that I pay my money to be part of a club, with a good course and do not want people who may come once a year, with no respect for the course or etiquette of the game, to interfere my enjoyment.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not in this he doesn't

View attachment 4089:eek::eek::eek:

I think some places pretend to ask for them to keep the members happy, it gives an illusion of exclusivity. There is a big sign at our place stating they are required, they are never asked for. It keeps some of the more traditional members quiet. :thup:

not sure why you would limit visitors to a 12 handicap, you may as well say cat 1 and be done with it. enjoy paying another £500 on your subs :D
i do pay more for my membership than other local clubs and we have a £1000 joining fee for this very reason,and i would pay more for the guarantee of me being able to walk onto the course when ever i liked and not be held up,i can go on a sunday afternoon and be the only one on the course THAT is what i am paying for.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
no certificates required at Gleneagles and they advertise the fact, at £155 per head they want as many 4 balls as possible. I've seen people turn up at the tee to find the starter calling the bag store to get a 'proper' pair of golf shoes and some balls sent over asap.

5.5 hour rounds werent uncommon even on medal days as the 'guests' were usually out before and sometimes in-between the medals.

Money talks

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I do feel there is a need on certain courses, some of the hardest courses could put someone off the game totally.

I have found a lot of courses ask your handicap when you book and that's usually enough. I will find out this year as its the first time in 15 years I won't be a member at a club.