Should The Open go to Ireland (ROI)?

badgergm

Visit site
I think Portmarnock would be the obvious choice, great course, hosted many events previously, good access for local and international visitors, plenty of hotels and accommodation near by.

They could, but they nevertheless considered doing something which the experts of the forum said was not possible.
Portmarnock is fantastic - fond memory of getting Sevvy,s autograph in the locker room. Real gent.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It really isn’t the aworld Open, however much you’d like it to be. U

However much you’d like it to be, it really isn’t the World Open. Dont really see any reason to take it outside UK.
Well it's the championship run by the golf authority for most of the world so it's as much a world open as it is anything else.
Is there any reason why it should not take place in Ireland where it has already taken place twice all be it in a part that is under a different political rule but the same golfing authority?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Well it's the championship run by the golf authority for most of the world so it's as much a world open as it is anything else.
Is there any reason why it should not take place in Ireland where it has already taken place twice all be it in a part that is under a different political rule but the same golfing authority?
Is there any reason why it should.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with having a personal preference. I prefer it to remain in Scotland as I can attend more easily. I'm trying to look at it from the R&A's point of view and why they may consider it to move elsewhere. Although the headquarters and origins are in the UK it is an in international organisation with international membership and representation.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
R&A are a UK based organisation. Hosting the Open brings a large economic benefit to the local area where it is being staged.
I would prefer that was a part of the UK.

totally agree with this. It is a massive earner every few years for the small towns that host the event. It has to be played on a classic links of which we have got a large portion of the global tally. ROI has most of the rest of the classic links courses (Netherlands has a couple more) but for economic and historic reasons, i would keep in in the UK. As mentioned, it is time Wakes had a shot and Porthcawl is probably the best and only choice. There are already 10+ on the open rota - Turnberry deserves having its place back as it is magnificent - and i do not believe we need many more and should limit the total number.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Should we move the final of the Gaelic games to Wembley or Hampden?

Let's move Wimbledon to Croke Park.

It's a no from me thanks.
The Open is already peripatetic in nature in a fashion that those competitions are not. For an international body to look beyond the bounds of their headquarters would not be unreasonable.
The Portrush open was widely acclaimed as highly successful partly due to the fantastic crowds.
Why would they not want to build on that success?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Open is already peripatetic in nature in a fashion that those competitions are not. For an international body to look beyond the bounds of their headquarters would not be unreasonable.
The Portrush open was widely acclaimed as highly successful partly due to the fantastic crowds.
Why would they not want to build on that success?

it was great that it went back to Portrush and hopefully Wales soon. But every open i can remember has been successful for the crowds, support, local economy etc - so what are you wanting to build on specific from Portrush?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Suddenly many folks want Theeeee Open to become British.

Quite like the idea of moving it to Ireland as they were 'British' when Theeee Open first started.
Not adverse to moving it around the World either.

Those who say it should remain in Britain should also have a thought about it remaining in Scotland [or even St Andrews]

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it was great that it went back to Portrush and hopefully Wales soon. But every open i can remember has been successful for the crowds, support, local economy etc - so what are you wanting to build on specific from Portrush?
There are degrees of success.
The attendance was the second highest ever and the enthusiasm of the crowds was said to be the best.
It is not me who is wanting anything in particular, I have said elsewhere in the thread that from a personal point of view Scottish venues are my favourite.
I am positing reasons why the R&A would reasonably consider Irish venues.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Quite like the idea of moving it to Ireland as they were 'British' when Theeee Open first started.

Those who say it should remain in Britain should also have a thought about it remaining in Scotland [or even St Andrews]

Why would it be at St Andrews when it started in Prestwick?

English Courses were added 18 years after the introduction of the Claret Jug, so have basically been a part of the tournament for the majority of its existence

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ireland meh 50/50 not adverse

Anywhere else? Just no

It's the only major to finish on a Sunday at a sensible time

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Perhaps but that ship has sailed.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As the BBC doesn't seem interested in it anymore, what they could do is just scrap The Open Championship, make The Players a major and then the Americans wouldn't need a passport at all. :whistle:

Reactions: DCB

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why would it be at St Andrews when it started in Prestwick?

English Courses were added 18 years after the introduction of the Claret Jug, so have basically been a part of the tournament for the majority of its existence

Prestwick is not up to scratch any more, cone to think of it, St Andrews is probably on a wobbly peg.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
There's no reason why it shouldn't. The Open Championship is not tied to any country; the R&A could, if they wanted, host it outside the UK. Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland each have their own opens to determine their national champions; The Open Championship sits above any nation and determines the "champion golfer of the year".

However, I wouldn't be in favour of it moving, but that's because I'm a traditionalist. The most likely reason for a moving it would be an enormous sponsorship enticement and it would seem grubby to scrap years of tradition for money.