Should The Open go to Ireland (ROI)?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is nothing in the rules that prevent it, is there?

If so, where should it go? Probably has to be east coast for transport reasons, so Portmarnock, European Club or Baltray (Co. Louth)? Portmarnock is the obvious choice.

If they could do Kerry, Ballybunion, Tralee and Waterville would be great, Lahinch not too far. Doonbeg is non grata along with Turnberry so long as Trump owns them. The Donegal and Connemara courses are too remote and hard to get to.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
No it’s a British tournament & ROI isn’t part of Britain. I don’t even think it should be held in NI as I believe Ireland should be a united country but that’s another issue

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, it has the courses, the fans and the player appeal of holding it.

Ireland is one the British Isles so all this talk of it not hosting the British Open is daft.

And of course it’s The Open anyway, never the British Open unless you’re trying to make a flawed nationalistic argument.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Irrelevant. Show me the rule where the course needs a passport.
It’s held by the r&a is widely known around the world as the British open and should never be held outside Britain. Does a person from roi feel British ? Why don’t we hold it in France ? Why not hold the Irish open in Scotland? I would call on a boycott of the r&a if this was even considered.

Ridgeman

Visit site
It’s held by the r&a is widely known around the world as the British open and should never be held outside Britain. Does a person from roi feel British ? Why don’t we hold it in France ? Why not hold the Irish open in Scotland? I would call on a boycott of the r&a if this was even considered.
While I fully agree that it shouldn't go to Eire, (not even sure it ever should have gone to England but thats another matter). However how exactly could we boycott the r&a? Ignore the rules of golf perhaps.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s held by the r&a is widely known around the world as the British open and should never be held outside Britain.

Keep digging that hole. The R&A are a worldwide authority, explicitly disallow use of the word British in all open related media and communication and have actively worked to promote the Open as not “British” but simply as The Open or The Open Championship.

The Open has always evolved. There was a time when it being held in England was considered outrageous.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

It is only called The British Open, wrongly, by Americans, many of whom think Scotland is part of England. It is actually The Open Championship and could be held anywhere in the R&A's jurisdiction.