Should The Open go to Ireland (ROI)?

The Lion

Visit site
I say yes. It’s about time. Now Portmarnock have got their act together re gender bigotry, that would be the best venue for the first Ireland Open Championship given its location, prestige, infrastructure, sizeable terrain et al.

In fact, since childhood I’ve always believed in an Open in Ireland. Such a concept would also help foster unity in sport and between our islands’ nations at a time of deep division.

Echo many here too that it’s The Open - not the British Open. FYI there are/were opens for England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales & NI. “The Open” covers all bases, and given its history, the role of G&I as a golfing entity, The Amateur finally returning to Portmarnock, plus strong golfing ties between all five nations, all suggest an Open in Eire would be a natural progression.

Other venues could include Ballybunion, Lahinch, County Louth, Royal Dublin & County Sigo, plus Ballyliffin and RCD in NI - if infrastructure issues can be addressed.

Finally, for what it’s worth, I also believe the US PGA should be played all over the world, including in Europe. Plus an autumn global World Championship Major should be added to level up the modern majors, given the far greater difficulty in winning now than in the past, due to far more intense competition than historically.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As an Irish man on here my answer is No.

To me leaving aside any politics or otherwise it's simply a different country.
For me even going to Portrush was stretching the boundaries as much as possible

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why Ireland in particular? Why not France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc? Because although it is just called The Open, it is still The (British) Open. It may be there in sub text, but that's what it is.

Why Ireland? Long standing association between the golf unions in GB, and I, Walker Cup, Ryder Cup used to be that way, common travel area.

And it isn't The British Open, that subtext inserted only by people of a certain persuasion.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
People getting their knickers in a twist over the incorrect use of the term British Open should also note that Ireland isn’t the correct term for any country in the world. ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, did you get the reaction you wanted? :sneaky:

No, although I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised.

The reaction I expected was more of a 'Maybe, that would be interesting' and a chat about some of the golf courses in Ireland that could, although very likely never will, be Open venues.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Everywhere I've been outside the UK, its called the "British" Open. No agenda, just to distinguishes it from the US Open.

Golf in Ireland is like rugby. One association that crosses the border.

Given that, if you remove the "issues" (if you can for the purposes of discussion) it's not completely barmy, as holding it at Portrush was popular....

No idea if Ethan was windung up any of the folk with axe to grind. Either way it would be an assumption on my part.

Treating it a a genuine question, I still think it's not right as its a UK event. (By implication, if not design. ) and when it was designed it was unique!

Any new course on the rota should be Porthcawl. Says the bloke who lives in Wales!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess it's up to the R&A where it is held.
They very clearly designate it the Open Championship and not the British Open. They have also already held it twice outside Britain all be it not outside the UK.
Personally I like to see it held on traditional links as that is part of it's character.
For country purposes my preference is Scotland as it is easier to attend. However introducing it to other places would not seem completely outlandish and Ireland with it's rich heritage of links courses sounds appropriate. Having said that I've only ever played on some of the ones in Donegal and have no idea how suitable any of the others would be.

If the main feature of the PGA 'European' tour can be the race to Dubai I see no rational reason why the Open championship of golf cannot be held in a country with a rich tradition of great links courses.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Ethan I’ll bite..

What’s your favourite, and what do you think the best course there is?

I think Portmarnock would be the obvious choice, great course, hosted many events previously, good access for local and international visitors, plenty of hotels and accommodation near by.

"PGA of America desperately try to increase interest in the 4th Major, that many consider inferior to The Player's Championship" could equally be the title of that article.

They could, but they nevertheless considered doing something which the experts of the forum said was not possible.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everywhere I've been outside the UK, its called the "British" Open. No agenda, just to distinguishes it from the US Open.

Golf in Ireland is like rugby. One association that crosses the border.

Given that, if you remove the "issues" (if you can for the purposes of discussion) it's not completely barmy, as holding it at Portrush was popular....

No idea if Ethan was windung up any of the folk with axe to grind. Either way it would be an assumption on my part.

Treating it a a genuine question, I still think it's not right as its a UK event. (By implication, if not design. ) and when it was designed it was unique!

Any new course on the rota should be Porthcawl. Says the bloke who lives in Wales!

It wasn't intended as a wind-up. I seem to remember it being discussed a few years back, maybe after the PGA was said to be considering the same. The unique aspect of The Open is that it is much less parochial and is really The World Open, so I don't see why so many have got into a tizzy about the idea.

evemccc

Visit site
I think Portmarnock would be the obvious choice, great course, hosted many events previously, good access for local and international visitors, plenty of hotels and accommodation near by.

They could, but they nevertheless considered doing something which the experts of the forum said was not possible.

Is that your favourite? I’m more interested in hearing about why people like their favourite / best courses?
I’ve heard good things about Old Head. Obvs Tom Watson raves about Ballybunion.
From what little I know the typical feature of Irish links courses are the dunes...Ballybunion is supposed to have major dunes

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Why not? It’s called the Open, and comes under the jurisdiction of the R&A. There’s a course good enough within spitting distance of Dublin. Nowhere else has the infrastructure to support it. I think it’s a good shout.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If Australia won Eurovision, would they hold it there? ?
I went to see the Tour de France in Huddersfield, so I suppose anything is possible these days.

badgergm

Visit site
It wasn't intended as a wind-up. I seem to remember it being discussed a few years back, maybe after the PGA was said to be considering the same. The unique aspect of The Open is that it is much less parochial and is really The World Open, so I don't see why so many have got into a tizzy about the idea.
It really isn’t the aworld Open, however much you’d like it to be. U
However much you’d like it to be, it really isn’t the World Open. Dont really see any reason to take it outside UK.