Should the caddies get an Olympic medal?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nah, they are (a big) part of a players support team. But they don't participate in the actual play of the game

all the Olympic competitors get data/feedback/info, physical and mental support etc etc from those in their support team and those folks don't get medals

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what do they get?
No prize money so no win bonus.
Expensive week for the Pro....
On the basis that the Pro wouldn't be able to function on the course without their caddy, I think they should get something.
Does the "guide" get something in the blind skiing at the Winter Games:unsure:
They really are not that pathetic. Westwood shown quite comfortably that a pro can manage without a nailed on experienced caddy.

They manage better with their own caddy, they could manage perfectly well for one tournament with a local caddy who would be happy getting free gear and a chance to see the big boys close up.

Mandofred

Visit site
Take golf out of the Olympics....problem solved.

I know I'm a grump....but the time of the Olympics is over. When it began, it was a good chance to bring people around the world together since it was rather hard to do so. The world isn't the same anymore. World championship every year or two for every sport in their own locations....separate from the other sports. Grump over......

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No. Personally I think caddies are an anachronism. Although some of them deserve some sort of a medal for putting up with the treatment they receive from their employers.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Coxes get medals in the rowing. I would say caddies work harder physically, and have at least as much input into the success or not of the real sportsman they are helping. So for consistency, yes, as a team, golfers should have a caddy of the same nationality and they should get a medal.
Preumably the caddies are doing the job for free that week too, given that the golfers arent playing for prize money for a change.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Does anyone know how players get remunerated? I know there's no prize money and travel and costs are covered etc but the caddies still have to be paid for the week? Interesting to hear what some people think a gold medal is worth in terms of sponsorship - someone was saying Schaueffele would easily get $10m on the back of this? Worth keeping an eye on Slovakia's new hero in the coming months..

I'm now more in the camp of definitely deserves a medal (I think); they're not hitting the shots but they're out there the whole time and not on the sidelines and is way more input than 'just' prepping for the event

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No I think it’s ludicrous to suggest giving them a medal, Olympians train for years to be at their best for the Olympics

What does a caddie do? carry a bag and walk around for 5 hours, give the player some yardages when a laser could do exactly the same job.

It would devalue the achievement of winning a gold medal.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It was the pro that was invited by his country to represent the country at the olympics. i.e The invite to represent the UK was not made to Mr Tommy Fleetwood +1
If that pro decides to bring along a dedicated caddy to assist them then it's up to the player

If caddy's are to get medals then firstly they'd need to qualify, then be asked/invited by their country

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know how players get remunerated? I know there's no prize money and travel and costs are covered etc but the caddies still have to be paid for the week? Interesting to hear what some people think a gold medal is worth in terms of sponsorship - someone was saying Schaueffele would easily get $10m on the back of this? Worth keeping an eye on Slovakia's new hero in the coming months..

I'm now more in the camp of definitely deserves a medal (I think); they're not hitting the shots but they're out there the whole time and not on the sidelines and is way more input than 'just' prepping for the event

not sure about golf, but can go from my experience in sailing. No money was given for getting a medal, the athletes as part of the Team GB squad (including the ones which didn’t get selected for the Olympics, in sailing only 1 person/team can go per event) get paid a salary from the UK Sport funding. The salary does vary depending on how good you are though. They are also allowed to get a certain number is sponsors to bring in extra funds.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site

It's up to each country to decide on remuneration (the IOC do not award prize money). Some countries reward the athletes for medals, e.g. USA, pay medal winners $37,500 for a gold, $22,500 for a silver, and $15,000 for a bronze. Singapore pay $737,000, $369,000 and $184,000! (Countries with smaller teams tend to pay more than ones with larger ones). Team GB do not reward for medals

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe they should get a token item, like an 'honourary' medal but not a real, counting one. Otherwise it causes confusion if they're from a different country to their golfer, as mentioned earlier. e.g. if Schauffele had a Canadian caddie, would Canada then get +1 in the gold medal table? You can't really give gold to two countries at once can you? I don't think it works. So essentially you would have to make a rule that the players can only use caddies from the same nation.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
In terms of medals for caddies, I think they should get one, but it shouldn't count towards their countries total. Like other team sports, each member gets a medal, but it only counts as 1 in the medal table.

So if Schauffele did have a different nationality on the bag, he would get a medal but he won it as part of Team USA.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Blimey, what next? A medal for everyone seems to be the way we're going.
The word "diluting" comes to mind now , when I think of the Olympics.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You can imagine a caddy trying to explain to their grandkids what he got his gold medal for:

I carried the players bag _ what like a baggage handler
No I also walked the course to survey it _ what like a marathon runners coach
No I also gave advice_ what like all the long/high jump coaches do before and after every jump
No I cleaned the gear too_ ok grandad, time for your pills
:LOL:

As I said, a (very) valuable part of the support team... but its not a team event