Should Golf be an Olympic Sport?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A big no from me too but if it has to be in I reckon they should rumble the format away from the nromal week to week and make it a strokeplay 1 round with the top 16 playing matchplay from then in to find the winner.

D

Deleted member 1147

Many sports, for which we consider the Olympics to be the pinnacle, hold world championships and regional championships, leagues etc (athletics, boxing, badminton, swimming, track cycling, rowing etc) so why when other sports have majors, such as tennis & golf, do we not accept them having the Olympics as well?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many sports, for which we consider the Olympics to be the pinnacle, hold world championships and regional championships, leagues etc (athletics, boxing, badminton, swimming, track cycling, rowing etc) so why when other sports have majors, such as tennis & golf, do we not accept them having the Olympics as well?

Usain, would you prefer to win the Olympic 100 metres or the world championship? (He got DQ'd in the worlds and his comment was "at least it wasn't the Olympics")

Tiger, win the Open or the Olympics?

It's not the fact that there is a world championship, it's the relative prestige of these in the sport vs the Olympics.

Andy Murray was recently quoted that he'd rather have Olympic gold than a grand slam title. Not sure I believe him though...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Does any athlete (what ever sport) really represent their country? Do they do it for the flag, or for the personal glory, and the financial reward it brings?

Does the Olympics really represent the best of the best?

What if the top 20 sprinters at mens 100m were all Jamaican?

An Olympic gold at golf won't mean that the best golfer won. It will be the best golfer who could (or bothered to) turn up. In the top 50 in the World rankings, many won't qualify, as there are too many from their nation. So it will be a sub standard field, with Bolivians, Columbians, Trinidadians, Madagascans, etc making up the numbers. Great. What a spectacle.

International sport is never going to be as good to watch as it could be if the best were chosen to perform.

I'm out.

D

Deleted member 1147

International sport is never going to be as good to watch as it could be if the best were chosen to perform.

I certaily agree with that thinking - the top 5 in the American trials for the mens 100m were all sub 10 seconds - we don't have any (Gemili is our best at 10.05?) so why do we still get 2 in the competition?

As such they could just have two semi-finals made up of the Jamaicans, Yanks and T&Ts.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Does any athlete (what ever sport) really represent their country? Do they do it for the flag, or for the personal glory, and the financial reward it brings?

An Olympic gold at golf won't mean that the best golfer won. It will be the best golfer who could (or bothered to) turn up. In the top 50 in the World rankings, many won't qualify, as there are too many from their nation. So it will be a sub standard field, with Bolivians, Columbians, Trinidadians, Madagascans, etc making up the numbers. Great. What a spectacle.

I'm out.

Great post... I'm out too.

If darts isn't in then I'm out twice!

Is snooker in? :mad:

D

Deleted member 1147

That's not what I said at all. Or not what I meant at any rate.

If they had to choose Bolt would choose the Olympics, Tiger would choose the Open.

I'm sorry you didn't explicitly say that, I agree.

Both have major events to compete in - majors, world chamionships, Ryder Cup, Commonwealths, Presidents Cup, Diamond League.
Both are hugely well paid, professional athletes.
I just don't see why one is deemed to have the right but the other isn't.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If golf is to be in the Olympics then, for me, it should be elite amatuers only.

The pro's have the majors, as a pro said regading amatuers in the Olympics, "Let this be their major".

hackerjack99

Medal Winner
Visit site
If it was only offered to amateurs then i think it should be in the olympics. Pro golfers have majors and world golf championships ahead of the Olympics in the season and it would not be a big enough tournament in the pro's minds to warrant an extra week in the middle of august where players are collecting rder cup points and playing the pga.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There is no money in it for the Olympic association, or the host country if amateurs compete. It's all about bums on seats. Who's the biggest draw, Tiger, or some one only golf geeks have heard of?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
There is no money in it for the Olympic association, or the host country if amateurs compete. It's all about bums on seats. Who's the biggest draw, Tiger, or some one only golf geeks have heard of?

I see your point Murph, but in all honestly, how many athletes does Joe Soap know any way... Aside from Usain Bolt :mmm:

I think it would be set up nicely for elite amateurs myself.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Big YES from me...but I can't help but think the IOC have missed a trick by not making it an amateur event. I don't think the pros will be too enthused by it but I think it would have made a fantastic amateur event.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I'd prefer the Olympics to be an amateur event. So no NBA stars, no premier league players, no tennis multi-millionaires.
And no spectators. :p And no way for the sponsors to cash in on the winners etc.

Nice idea but with the amount of money involved in the whole thing these days, there's no way it could be restriced to amateurs only.