Should Golf be an Olympic Sport?

Visit site
Now that everyone is getting hyped up about London 2012 do golfers feel left out? Or should we just let them get on with it and enjoy our own Major tournaments?

There is part of me that would like to see golf in the Olympics, I know it would be an extra week to fit into the calendar but the Tennis pros manage it

BelliedWedge

Medal Winner
Visit site
Now that everyone is getting hyped up about London 2012 do golfers feel left out? Or should we just let them get on with it and enjoy our own Major tournaments?

There is part of me that would like to see golf in the Olympics, I know it would be an extra week to fit into the calendar but the Tennis pros manage it

The Olympics should be the pinnacle of that particular sport, so for that reason I say no to golf, football and tennis for starters.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No to golf in the Olympics for me. Just don't want it - the Olympics don't need it - golf doesn't need it. Tennis in the Olympics won't encourage more people to play tennis. Besides, the IOC would no doubt d**k around with the game into a form to make it 'less difficult' and 'less time consuming' - for the global TV audience. Only Olympic events should be those for which the Olympic motto 'Faster, Higher, Stronger' actually applies.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
another big NO from me. The Olympics is and has always been about speed and strength, neither is a pre-requisite for the build of a golfer.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only Olympic events should be those for which the Olympic motto 'Faster, Higher, Stronger' actually applies.

The Olympics is and has always been about speed and strength, neither is a pre-requisite for the build of a golfer.

Using that logic things like the shooting, horse riding etc should not be included right?

Playing a bit of devils advocate there as I too think golf should not be in the olympics, just not for the reason above. My reason is the olympics should be the pinnacle of the sport, if a sport has generated its own pinnacle through its popularity then it has a strong reason NOT to be in the olympics.

So shooting, athletics, BMX, cycling, swimming etc all get in.

Rugby 7s and the "U21s" football are debatable but probably there are more deserving sports out there so should be taken out.

Golf and Tennis, should be removed before the next games (bit late for this one)!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, as it isn't the pinnacle of the sport. Yes, if it was open to Amateurs. As it is, it is professionals only...which I am sure they are going to love fitting in between 2 majors, when they may want a break etc!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont mind any sports being in the Olympics as long as the people competing are AMATURE'S. Hard in this day and age I know as most Olympic atheletes make a living from their sport. If would be easy for golf to do though as yhere are amature world rankings.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont mind any sports being in the Olympics as long as the people competing are AMATEURS. Hard in this day and age I know as most Olympic athletes make a living from their sport. If would be easy for golf to do though as there are amature world rankings.

I think the days of amateurs at the Olympics is long gone, for it to work in the modern world is has to be the pinnacle of the sports competing for it to be successful both financially and as a spectator event. It does work in some instances, boxing for one suits the current setup perfectly as its a stepping stone and has a long history. It is the peak of amateur boxing.

For amateur golfers the Open (or the US Open/Masters if you are from the US) is still the pinnacle and therefore golf should NOT be in the Olympics whatever. Ask any top amateur, winning the Open would top a gold medal hands down EVERY time!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No although as it is is in next time round there's not a lot of debate. If it's to remain then I'd like to see it restricted to amateur players but thats as fanciful as this olympics passing off smoothly given the fact that the likes of Boris (turn up at an envelope opening) Johnson and and million and one no idea merchants have got involved

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Using that logic things like the shooting, horse riding etc should not be included right?

Shooting horses is an Olympic sport? I'm shocked :mad:

Back to the OP, it's a no from me as well. I would rather see other sports being given the coverage. For smaller sports, the olympics are a lifeline that maintains levels of particpation and interest through the oxygen of coverage on a global scale.

In those sports the Olympics provide a goal for the elite competitors that gives the sport a viable structure. In golf, the majors already fulfil that role, so I don't see the need to artificially create another tier of achievement.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't mind it being in the Olympics, but the format should be mixed 5 club foursomes bogey.

We'll see how many want to enter.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another big NO here.

And no tennis, no football, no road cycling(!); as others said if the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of the sport then it shouldn't be an Olympic sport.

D

Deleted member 1147

Personally I'd prefer the Olympics to be an amateur event. So no NBA stars, no premier league players, no tennis multi-millionaires. But top amateurs who embody the Olympic ideals (like in the old days) just like in boxing.

With regards golf it would be brilliant to have amateurs playing in it and with so many formats there could be plenty of enjoyment - singles, fourballs, foresomes, mixed, matchplay & strokeplay. With say 2 men & 2 women from each country.

But it is going to be in & as a professional sport - so I welcome it as it's better than no golf at all.

Also I don't think that we can say the top players wouldn't care so much just because it isn't the pinnacle for them - I'm sure Tiger would love an Olympic gold, afterall Jack hasn't got one!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it was an under 23's event yes.
Otherwise no, along with Rugby [15's], football and cricket.

They should not mess with mass appeal sports and promote less popular sports like baseball, lacrosse and tug o' war.