Should Golf be an Olympic Sport?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
DFS
There is no such thing as an amateur golfer now [in the real sense]

Re my earlier post when I suggested that I might support an under 23's event. I would like to point out to new golfers that I mean age and not handicap.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was talking about this subject in a daily piece I am doing for American radio on the Olympics. I am all for EVERY sport being part of the Olympics now that amateur status has gone the way of the dodo and 3/4 difference in matchplay.

But I would like to see it as a matchplay event. Each country puts up one player. Limit to top 64 and then go from there. 18 holes per day. Yes we have the Accenture matchplay but doing it in this format would make a "Gold Medal Match" worth watching amongst the 14th heat for the 100m women's doggy-paddle.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Years back I wrote a joke article about livening up the Mens Downhill ski-ing by everyone starting at once. Now you watch the X-Games and they go down six at a time. Perhaps we could take golf to the next extreme with the Olympic golf event.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both have major events to compete in - majors, world chamionships, Ryder Cup, Commonwealths, Presidents Cup, Diamond League.
Both are hugely well paid, professional athletes.
I just don't see why one is deemed to have the right but the other isn't.

Ah right now I see where you're coming from. From the competitor's perspective that seems fair enough.

The Olympics seem to be taking in any and all popular sports as they try to expand. In my opinion, that cheapens the games and dilutes the value of the Olympics to the minority sports such as swimming and athletics for which the Olympics is the pinnacle.

It's all a matter of opinion. Personally I couldn't care less about athletics... except my interest might get piqued at the Olympics. I'm very into golf and watch it all the time..... but probably wouldn't be much interested in Olympic golf.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's all a matter of opinion. Personally I couldn't care less about athletics... except my interest might get piqued at the Olympics. I'm very into golf and watch it all the time..... but probably wouldn't be much interested in Olympic golf.

Exactly how i feel about Olympic Tennis & Football. It's difficult to get excited about watching a tournament when you know the players value grand slams/the premier league/the world cup more.

Olympic gold SHOULD be the pinnacle of an athletes career, not a nice little bonus/consolation prize for those who never won what they really wanted to.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Amateur golf not pros.
No team games, viz. football etc.
No sports that require subjective judging ( boxing excepted )
No sport that only a handfull of people know about.
No sport where you need twelve lessons to learn the rules.
There must be more but my brain hurts!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have always believed that Shinty should be included in the Olympics.

Off post rather, but can anyone tell me why I, as a born and bred midlander, who didn't leave the midlands till I went to college, was taught shinty at junior school? And the Gay Gordons come to that?

Olympic golf - as with most above, no. Isn't the pinnacle and never will be.

D

Deleted Member 1156

And no spectators. :p And no way for the sponsors to cash in on the winners etc.

Nice idea but with the amount of money involved in the whole thing these days, there's no way it could be restriced to amateurs only.

I'm not sure about that, boxing is still amateurs and that draws in crowds. There are plenty of other amateur events as well like judo, weightlifting, shooting and archery.