Should all trollys be banned in winter.

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is the current trend for everyone to have a trolley, once the preserve of the injured or the elderly golfer now it has become a must have for everyone,what happened to having a carry bag and stand,it makes my blood boil to see fit looking golfers churning up the turf near the greens in winter with what can only be described as sheds on wheels and what do they have in those massive bags?? i have always carried unless on holiday and use a buggy if asked to and carry the following,set of clubs,tees,6 balls,2 gloves,ball marker,pitch repair tool and a couple of pencils that is it,if it is raining i wear my all weathers and cant see the point of a brolly,if your worried about getting wet/sun or cold PLAY SNOOKER.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What is the current trend for everyone to have a trolley, once the preserve of the injured or the elderly golfer now it has become a must have for everyone,what happened to having a carry bag and stand,it makes my blood boil to see fit looking golfers churning up the turf near the greens in winter with what can only be described as sheds on wheels and what do they have in those massive bags?? i have always carried unless on holiday and use a buggy if asked to and carry the following,set of clubs,tees,6 balls,2 gloves,ball marker,pitch repair tool and a couple of pencils that is it,if it is raining i wear my all weathers and cant see the point of a brolly,if your worried about getting wet/sun or cold PLAY SNOOKER.

Thank goodness I fall into the "injured and elderly" catagory - I hate snooker!

I hope that this thread isn't going to degenerate into a "this is what I do so everyone should do the same" rant.

Chris

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At our club you can only use a trolly if you fit hedgehog tyres. But after seeing the damage these still do I tend to agree with you. The problem is that many clubs have a large seniors section and some of them can hardly walk the course let alone carry their clubs as well. As a spritly 58 year old I find carrying during the winter easier as the trolly users have to go further to avoid rope barriers around the greens. I just reduce the amount of clubs I carry.

Anders

Medal Winner
Visit site
There should be white lines or similar markings around the green, beyond which you can't take your trolley. As long as those are respected I don't have a problem with trolleys in the winter. Some clubs have them all year round, but I think that is a bit overkill. Common sense should prevail for most people as to where you take your trolley.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree with big nev, once the ropes come out it's more sensible to carry.

Originally i carried in summer too, but when i was playing 3 times a week, the lifting up of the bag and carelessly carrying it on one shoulder affected my back a bit, so i opted for the summer trolley in the end. Sadly, winter hours mean no after work golf, so down to once a week so carrying not so much of a strain.

harvey4banger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think carrying in the winter is a good idea, but it does pee me right of carrying when it's raining, that's almost like multi tasking juggling all that gear

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I look fit and healthy. I can run for an hour 3 times a week, and go to the gym etc.

However, there is a limit as to how long I can carry a golf bag for due to back and neck issues (my physio would have a fit if he saw me carrying at all). A lot of my friends of a similar age also look fit enough to carry, and most also have back issues, or old footy injuries. Ban trolleys, and we are all going to move to a course which allows them, as I am not paying for 12 months membership, and playing for 8 of them.

Funny how all the martyrs who carry all year come out with the same old guff come winter.

If you want to 'save' the golf course, you could stop playing. Or, you could lose some weight, to reduce the imprints your shoes make. Why just pick on trolley users?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want to carry, then carry! If you want to push/pull then do so! Just dont try to ram your own personal views down, other peoples throuts. Live and let live is what I say. Just go out and enjoy your own game.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I look fit and healthy. I can run for an hour 3 times a week, and go to the gym etc.

However, there is a limit as to how long I can carry a golf bag for due to back and neck issues (my physio would have a fit if he saw me carrying at all). A lot of my friends of a similar age also look fit enough to carry, and most also have back issues, or old footy injuries. Ban trolleys, and we are all going to move to a course which allows them, as I am not paying for 12 months membership, and playing for 8 of them.

Funny how all the martyrs who carry all year come out with the same old guff come winter.

If you want to 'save' the golf course, you could stop playing. Or, you could lose some weight, to reduce the imprints your shoes make. Why just pick on trolley users?

Ditto.....almost. I don't run for an hour 3 times a week, but I usually do about 6 hours (8 this week) of aikido a week and get thrown around an awful lot. Therefore I mostly use a trolley unless the course has a sign saying no trolley's. I do carry on occasion, did last week in fact. If you want to carry, then do so, your pleasure, but don't have a go at me for using a trolley if the course says they're ok to use.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I use an electric trolley all year. I'd prefer to carry but have health problems, the most recent being a heart attack... please can I not have a black mark against me??

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have no heath issues (bad bak, neck etc), only 29 years old. Do I use an electric trolly..... Yes!

Why?

Because I can.

When the no trollys sign is displayed I carry. To be quite honest this is a pretty pointless thread. Everyone has a preferance be it carry or trollying their clubs. Neither option is the stronger/weaker of the two. It's just personal preference regardless of age and mobility.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm perfectly capable of carrying my bag... but I use a trolley because I can afford one and I prefer it.

so stick your high and mighty opinion where the sun cannot provide illumination.

S

Snelly

No, trolleys should not be banned in winter. The damage they do is gone by Spring.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Our club rather stupidly have a blanket ban between set dates which means that whatever the weather trolleys cant be used without a doctors letter, it has been known for the ban to be on when the weather is glorious and then vice versa. At the end of the day a golf course is a field and I always assume that if the walk on/off areas are properly roped, then the winter damage will always repair in the spring.

Under the new equality laws it must be difficult to police who can and who cant get a medical dispensation to use a trolley. I was told by my club last year that I had to get a more up to date letter (at a cost of £25) saying that I needed to use a trolley when I had just had a hip replaced and now are just about to have the other one done, but, a member with Parkinsons didnt have to renew his letter as it wasnt curable. I wouldnt argue that he should have to get another letter, he absolutely shouldn't, but I asked "when have they found a cure for arthritus" and i am therefore, in essence, no different than the other guy - my point is that, as we get older, the need to use a trolley for winter golf is more necessary and bans are often devicive.

Chris

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Gilbert, have you come back? ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you impose a blanket ban unless for abnormal conditions you will preclude large swathes of membership particularly the seniors and women who quite honestly are the life blood of the club in winter.They are usually up a couple of times per week and will usually use the clubhouse for a drink and a bite after. If they can't trolley they can't play. Not good for the finances and more on your subs next year

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
the guys on the challenge tour without caddies use trolleys, they are young and superfit but don't carry and they only have 14 clubs like us all.

Agree with Gareth, pretty pointless thread

Doc

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks for coming...