Shot inside 100 yeards

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

what is the best way to play shots from inside 100 yards? I have been trying a pitch technique where the ball is at the back of my stance, my stance is very open and weight more on the front foot. I am struggling with distance control.

is this the best type of shot or should I focus my efforts on smaller swings with the 56 or 60 degree wedge?

as always your help is much appreciated.

cheers Gareth

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't know if it's the best way or not, but I play the shot exactly the same as a normal shot except for teh length of backswing and follow through.

That's down to about 60yds. Shorter than that and I start to make stuff up as I go along.

znuffzz

Head Pro
Visit site
iif it helps, i got more consistency by playing a normal shot with whatever wedge and then using either a 8 o'clock, 9 o'clock or 10 o'clock backswing...didnt move the ball around, didnt change anything

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
there isn't a single answer - what distance below 100yds, how does it match up to your 'normal' distaces with your wedges, greens? hazards? pin relative to problems and putting preferences?

on the basis that the greens huge, flat and the flags in the middle I would start from the perspective of 'the most natural shot' and work from there.

after that it's risk management - don't rely on bringing it back to the flag if you don't need too, don't risk the shot grabbing early if you can avoid it, land it as close to you as possible consistent with being able to predict it's roll out.

all a bit as Region3 points out!

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I tend to play fuller shots from 50yards to 100 yards with 1/2 or 3/4 swing. With practice you'll get to know what club to use.

From less than 50yards it'll depend on the lie and obstacles for me, I might chip and run or pitch one high hoping to land it soft.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i wouldnt always move the ball back, that sounds like a ticket for shanksvillie. play the ball from where it is, yes its nice to be super flash spinning balls back etc, but IMHO to much can go wrong from this position, the shot you want it for consistnecy.

normally i work on 6 distances over my 3 wedges as per your other thread on wedges,:thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi guys,

what is the best way to play shots from inside 100 yards? I have been trying a pitch technique where the ball is at the back of my stance, my stance is very open and weight more on the front foot. I am struggling with distance control.

is this the best type of shot or should I focus my efforts on smaller swings with the 56 or 60 degree wedge?

as always your help is much appreciated.

cheers Gareth

I worked on exactly that shot with my pro last week and from 100yards put about 20 balls on the green with p/w 9i 8i 7i and 6i with no shots missing the green - so I plan to practice it as the risk tariff is far less than a full gap wedge that I'd normally play

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I worked on exactly that shot with my pro last week and from 100yards put about 20 balls on the green with p/w 9i 8i 7i and 6i with no shots missing the green - so I plan to practice it as the risk tariff is far less than a full gap wedge that I'd normally play

hum maybe I just need to practice to get my distance control better.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me. With a good lie, no wind, no trouble I'd take a nice easy GW. No point in mullering a SW and compromising control.

If I have a bad lie, trouble in play, wind (not the trouser kind), then I'll play the shot the conditions demand.