Short game practice or lessons

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
I'm very excited as I broke 90 for the first time on Friday...albeit with 89! But still, 89 is less than 90!

As expected, my short game is really rubbish though and I'm just interested to know whether focussing my lessons on this might help, or whether it's just a case of practice, practice, practice instead?

Will I gain much by asking for a short game lesson, or is it much the same as any lesson? Is the best way to improve short game just to practice short game without lessons?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To practice your short game is a great idea, but what to practice?
Have a lesson and practice what your pro shows you, either wise you may be practicing the wrong technique

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a 1 hour short game lesson booked for next week and can't wait for it as it is an area of my game that needs improvement. Correct technique and practice drills are what I am looking for as I am never really sure what is the best way to practice this

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
To practice your short game is a great idea, but what to practice?
Have a lesson and practice what your pro shows you, either wise you may be practicing the wrong technique

+1. I had a short game lesson that identified two common faults.

Too handsy & too long on the back swing meant I was decelerating through the ball. My chipping from 75 in is now good and bad golf rounds are still seeing below h/c scores because of my change in chipping/pitching technique.

I won March's medal hacking but my chipping saved me. Get it dialed baz

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
The consensus is clear - I'm going to ask my instructor to give me a short game lesson next time out!

I was thinking about what Padraig Harrington said in GM this month about how he could take a 20 handicapper, play all his shots from 100 yards in and he would be off a handicap of 5 - and it totally makes sense to me.

When I look at my 89 I can think of so many wasted shots, chips and blips that it rings true.

Neil_ingle

Hacker
Visit site
with you on this one.

i am often on or around the green in reg to then bogey or worse.

once saw a stat saying that over 70% of all shots are played from within 100 yards.

food for thought.

Neil

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
with you on this one.

i am often on or around the green in reg to then bogey or worse.

once saw a stat saying that over 70% of all shots are played from within 100 yards.

food for thought.

Neil

You should see that stat for pitch and putt courses!!