Shoes

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
With the rise in the polarity in "spikeless" shoes, I was wondering if a pair of astro-turf football trainers would be suitable for use in the summer months. I have a pair of Nike Tiempo (pictured) just sitting round the house, that have only been worn a handful of times, and was wondering if I could use them.

72306.jpg

Thoughts? Are they allowed under the rules of golf? Are they suitable for tee and green, and would they give me the same level of stability as a pair of similar golf shoes?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
can't see why not. we have a guy at our place wears cricket shoes, not that he is a cricketer, just they were cheaper than golf shoes....cheapskate;)

D

Deleted member 15344

They look like football shoes and think most would be able to see they look like football shoes - would expect a number of courses wouldn't allow them

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
They look like football shoes and think most would be able to see they look like football shoes - would expect a number of courses wouldn't allow them

I don't get your point Phil

Most pairs of Adidas look like a normal training shoe.

Doesn't stop people wearing them to play golf in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

But that doesn't look like a normal "trainjng shoe" - that looks like an Astro football shoe to me

And the ones that people wear to golf are "golf shoes"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree. There are a few models out there that look like trainers. I don't see these as being too much different and they certainly don't scream "astro turf football boots" to me. I imagine there will be some clubs that would ban them on principle but I reckon many wouldn't give them a second look

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
They don't look like "Astro football boots" which is what I was saying the first picture was looking like - I know some golf shoes look like trainers - have some of them myself.

Bar the studs what is the difference between these and the ones in the OP

View attachment 18191

Point I make Phil is that neither look like golf shoes.

They both look like trainers with only minor differences.

I have no issues with them not looking like shoes. I have. Cracking pair of Ecco Street :thup:

Were Ricky Fowlers High Tops acceptable last week?

D

Deleted member 15344

Point I make Phil is that neither look like golf shoes.

They both look like trainers with only minor differences.

I have no issues with them not looking like shoes. I have. Cracking pair of Ecco Street :thup:

Were Ricky Fowlers High Tops acceptable last week?

I'm not sure where you are missing my point but will say it again - and to have a hint it's not because they look like "TRAINERS" it's because they look like "FOOTBALL ASTRO BOOTS" as can be seen by the thin shape and leather on the toe - which is exactly the same as the football boots I put up

I really don't know where you got the idea that I had an issue with them because they look like trainers ?!?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm not sure where you are missing my point but will say it again - and to have a hint it's not because they look like "TRAINERS" it's because they look like "FOOTBALL ASTRO BOOTS" as can be seen by the thin shape and leather on the toe - which is exactly the same as the football boots I put up

I really don't know where you got the idea that I had an issue with them because they look like trainers ?!?

I think we're missing each others point.

The shoes I linked look like running shoes to me, the same as you think the OP look like football boots.

Golf shoes have evolved massively in the last few years and have various shapes from classic shoe, to the casual Ecco styles, to Rickie Fowlers high tops.

To say they look like Astro Turf boots is no different to saying some look like Dunks, tennis shoes or Casual street shoes.

Take the quilted effect away from the toe area they're not a million miles from these.

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acat...lf-Shoes-Dark-Grey-Black-Orange.html#SID=2336

D

Deleted member 15344

I know lots of golf shoes have different styles and if they are manufactured as golf shoes then no issues

My point was that the shoes in the op are football boots and were made as football boots and clubs will not allow them - that's my point - as simple as that.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know lots of golf shoes have different styles and if they are manufactured as golf shoes then no issues

My point was that the shoes in the op are football boots and were made as football boots and clubs will not allow them - that's my point - as simple as that.

Does your home club make a point of checking it's members shoes conform on the first tee?

D

Deleted member 15344

Does your home club make a point of checking it's members shoes conform on the first tee?

The members do and the pro and the society organiser do and if someone is wearing the inappropriate footwear they are asked to change.