Shaw hill Chorley and Bolton old links

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon campers.

Any members of Shaw Hill or BOL on here?

Sick and tired of being a nomad and both clubs are not that far from both my home (Standish) and work (Horwich)

My natural inclination would just be to re join Chorley but I have heard some really worrying things about it recently.

Any insight Is appreciated

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is he? I remember him talking about it but never realised he moved.

Cheers pal.
Haven't played Shaw Hill but enjoyed Chorley every time I've played it. However, it was very very wet last year so god knows what it's like this year. BOL is a great course but the clubhouse was a bit old fashioned last time I was there.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haven't played Shaw Hill but enjoyed Chorley every time I've played it. However, it was very very wet last year so god knows what it's like this year. BOL is a great course but the clubhouse was a bit old fashioned last time I was there.

I really rated Chorley and enjoyed my few years there.

I’m not going to start bashing it on here but I have heard from more than a few people that it’s going downhill fast.

Condition of the course and facilities being lost are the main gripes.

I do know the rain has been bad last few years but it is alway on temps and has been closed an awful lot recently.

Still follow them on twitter and they are closed when many other clubs in the vicinity are still open (who I also follow)

Have heard SH is a bit snooty but that’s possibly just idle chatter.

BOL is significantly cheaper and 10 mins from work.

Bit of a trek from home though. Maybe 25 mins on a clear run.

Still looking at Arley hall as well because I could literally stagger home from the clubhouse in about 5 mins.

Just the drainage that concerns me there.

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi been a member at Old Links for 10 years best golf course in Bolton by far, ( the greens are fast) quite few low men from Chorley have left and come to Old Links, men’s comps are Saturday & Wednesday, also there are roll ups on Monday & Thursday mainly seniors draw is 10:00, the thrash play Wednesday, Friday & Sunday draw at 11:30, plenty crack in club house, if you are thinking of joining contact the club and they will arrange a free round with Alan Schofield fees from April 2018 are £940 by the way Dave plays in our group you are more than welcome to join us.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi been a member at Old Links for 10 years best golf course in Bolton by far, ( the greens are fast) quite few low men from Chorley have left and come to Old Links, men’s comps are Saturday & Wednesday, also there are roll ups on Monday & Thursday mainly seniors draw is 10:00, the thrash play Wednesday, Friday & Sunday draw at 11:30, plenty crack in club house, if you are thinking of joining contact the club and they will arrange a free round with Alan Schofield fees from April 2018 are £940 by the way Dave plays in our group you are more than welcome to join us.

So I wasn't imagining it and Steady Dave is at BOL???

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shaw Hill will be a paddy field in winter I suspect, plus it's not a "members club" unless it's changed.

Chorley is a nice course but have heard similar (from 45pt Dave really).

BOL is a cracking course and will be in the nest nick all year round I would have thought.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is he? I remember him talking about it but never realised he moved.

Cheers pal.

Yep, Dave's back there....again.

I think he collects club ties.;)

Boxman and his missus are also members there, as is Graham (GJ Bike - hello fella) the fleet footed, chalk dispensing, northern soul splitster.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Afternoon campers.

Sick and tired of being a nomad and both clubs are not that far from both my home (Standish) and work (Horwich)

My natural inclination would just be to re join Chorley but I have heard some really worrying things about it recently.

BOL by a long way mate. Better course (imo ) and I've heard the same as you re the condition of Chorley.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before you make any decision, just remember that the travel time can have a massive effect on your ability to play. That extra 10-15 minutes in the car is important, especially if you find yourself with a couple of hours of spare time.

From where you are I'd be looking at Arley or Dean Wood (although you'll have to put up with Standish traffic). I wouldn't touch Gathurst at the moment.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Afternoon campers.

I thought my ears were burning yesterday :D

I'll give you a shout in a few weeks Dave and we can go up to BOL for a game if you fancy a look around.
I think you'll be impressed, even now the condition of the course is superb.
Couple of recent photos here..

https://mobile.twitter.com/BoltonOldLinks/status/944136932682027008

https://mobile.twitter.com/BoltonOldLinks/status/959432270099738624

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Before you make any decision, just remember that the travel time can have a massive effect on your ability to play. That extra 10-15 minutes in the car is important, especially if you find yourself with a couple of hours of spare time.

From where you are I'd be looking at Arley or Dean Wood (although you'll have to put up with Standish traffic). I wouldn't touch Gathurst at the moment.

You could also look at Hindley....