Shaw hill Chorley and Bolton old links

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi been a member at Old Links for 10 years best golf course in Bolton by far, ( the greens are fast) quite few low men from Chorley have left and come to Old Links, men’s comps are Saturday & Wednesday, also there are roll ups on Monday & Thursday mainly seniors draw is 10:00, the thrash play Wednesday, Friday & Sunday draw at 11:30, plenty crack in club house, if you are thinking of joining contact the club and they will arrange a free round with Alan Schofield fees from April 2018 are £940 by the way Dave plays in our group you are more than welcome to join us.

Cheers pal.

I’m booking a Friday off soon so that me and my mate can play both Wigan and BOL in the same day.

Must admit this thread has BOL in as clear favourite.

£940 is more than I thought. Saw the prices in the website and they were 899

Presuming that’s last years though.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shaw Hill will be a paddy field in winter I suspect, plus it's not a "members club" unless it's changed.

Chorley is a nice course but have heard similar (from 45pt Dave really).

BOL is a cracking course and will be in the nest nick all year round I would have thought.

Cheers Iain.

Anything boggy is straight of the list. Nothing worse than only getting 8 months playing time from a 12 month membership.

It’s the most expensive of the lot too..

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Before you make any decision, just remember that the travel time can have a massive effect on your ability to play. That extra 10-15 minutes in the car is important, especially if you find yourself with a couple of hours of spare time.

From where you are I'd be looking at Arley or Dean Wood (although you'll have to put up with Standish traffic). I wouldn't touch Gathurst at the moment.

Dean wood is just a royal pain to get to after work and I’ll play mostly after work during summer.

Standish traffic is the reason I chose to live at bleach works. I don’t have to wade through the crossroads in a morning.

Hindley was ruled out pretty quick tbh. My old man was a member and I was never stuck on the place TBH. Last played it maybe 10 years ago but it was full of little Hitlers. Course is deeply uninteresting too. It stays in good nick though to be fair.

Last edited:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought my ears were burning yesterday :D

I'll give you a shout in a few weeks Dave and we can go up to BOL for a game if you fancy a look around.
I think you'll be impressed, even now the condition of the course is superb.
Couple of recent photos here..

https://mobile.twitter.com/BoltonOldLinks/status/944136932682027008

https://mobile.twitter.com/BoltonOldLinks/status/959432270099738624

And here he is. Ha

Cheers Dave.

Pics looks lovely.

What’s the crack in winter? Temp tees and fairway matts

Noticed on Twitter that it is rarely on temp greens. Is that really the case?

Also. What is the comp booking system like?

Chorley was a nightmare trying to get a spot and felt totally rigged if you ask me.

What’s your like?

I’m defo up for a game though.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve left Shaw Hill this year, joined Pleasington instead, great improvement! Shaw Hill has had quite a few people leaving over the last couple of years, it’s a good layout but no matter how much the members want things to improve, it all comes down to one woman’s yay or nay.

Played Chorley a few times last year and it wa in miles better nick that SH.

Not played Old Links in a few years but at the time I thought it was on a par with Chorley.

Arley was good last time I played it, again this was a couple of years ago and I’ve never played it in winter so can’t comment on how it drains etc...

For where you are I’d say it’s an even choice between the latter 3.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
And here he is. Ha

Cheers Dave.

Pics looks lovely.

What’s the crack in winter? Temp tees and fairway matts

Noticed on Twitter that it is rarely on temp greens. Is that really the case?

Also. What is the comp booking system like?

Chorley was a nightmare trying to get a spot and felt totally rigged if you ask me.

What’s your like?

I’m defo up for a game though.

Just mats in Winter Mate and Play off the front of the usual tees.
The tees hold up really well and are still in great nick as in the photo.

It is quite rare that they go on temps but as you can imagine it does get frosty and frozen up there at times in the depths of winter.

If your passing Dave just pop in and speak to Sean the Pro who is also the General Manager. He's really helpful I'm sure he'll have a good chat with you.

Knowing what your like though I'd advise you to leave your wallet somewhere else as the pro shop is very well stocked :D

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ta bud.

I’m going to ring them in a mo.

Got a work mate that lives in Lancaster and hoping he might qualify for a county membership (he is bang on 50 Miles according to google)

Re your last point...

Why would I need to spend top dollar at a pro shop when I can happily survive on hand me downs for you, jocko and Danny?

You three have more stock that golf depot and marginally better customer service 😉

Also

My bags sorted now after getting my new 4 wood and u45 3 iron..

Possibly

Lastly

How many drivers you rocking currently? 😉

Back on the membership front.

I still need to do my due diligence on both courses (ruled out SH already)

But I’m pretty much decided on BOL TBH.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Bolton Old links last night and joined the moment i got in the bar afterwards. The condition of the course was far greater than any course i've played in these parts. The fact that we have just had a three day deluge was hardly noticeable.

Spectacular views and honestly some of the holes reminded me of a cross between Scottish inland courses like Braidhills or Mortan hall. I also felt a few of the holes visually reminded me of Formby / Hillside.

Have to say that feels very very welcoming.

And most importantly the San Miguel was lovely. Im so glad to be a member once more

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Bolton Old links last night and joined the moment i got in the bar afterwards. The condition of the course was far greater than any course i've played in these parts. The fact that we have just had a three day deluge was hardly noticeable.

Spectacular views and honestly some of the holes reminded me of a cross between Scottish inland courses like Braidhills or Mortan hall. I also felt a few of the holes visually reminded me of Formby / Hillside.

And most importantly the San Miguel was lovely. Im so glad to be a member once more

Good choice. Great course and great members. Always friendly and welcoming. Watch out for a guy who rocks up in a white van and offers to play you for a fiver..... I hear he's steady :)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

Great stuff Davey. Loved the course when I played it. Especially the holes high up at the back. 👍👍

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I think we now have 5 GM forummers who are now members of BOL.

Last one in organises a big meet there for one Sunday.....:rofl:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just out of interest what is wrong with Bolton Golf Club?

We regularly come down and it is always in good nick,greens true, friendly club. Perhaps we have missed something!

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m a member at bolton golf clubs. It’s always on very good nick and we don’t use matts etc in winter. But for a full adult membership Old links Is the better value, old links is a great track, I know when I move off my cheaper intermediate membership I’ll be looking at old links

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think sitting in the dark back room listening to obscure melody’s with 17 San Miguel inside you, qualifys as a social life.

Erm

Obviously I am referring to myself....

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we now have 5 GM forummers who are now members of BOL.

Last one in organises a big meet there for one Sunday.....:rofl:

Looks like that’s me then. 😁

Tell you what. If you can tolerate me for 36 holes and a dozen pints at Mottram, I’ll be more than glad to arrange.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We can sort something out mate when the weather picks up if there's some interest.

Sunday mornings are usually a good time. :thup:

Looks like that’s me then. 

Tell you what. If you can tolerate me for 36 holes and a dozen pints at Mottram, I’ll be more than glad to arrange.

Good stuff - get it sorted lads.

One Sunday when Liverpool are away, or playing on the satdee will do for me, Stu and macca-can.:thup: