Chorley GC vs Bolton Old Links?

MDG

Hacker
Visit site
Evening,

Any thoughts or feedback on either of these courses for a potential new member?

Recently moved to the area and both within 20 mins from either home or work.

Have done a search and can see a few members of the forum are either current or have been members of each.

Interested to hear people’s opinions on both!

Cheers,
Michael

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi pal.

I’m an ex member at Chorley and a current member at Bolton old links.

In my humble opinion BOL is leagues ahead in many aspects as both a club and a course.

I’m just about to jump on the school run but will send some more info when I get back.

Plenty of BOL members on here currently too so I’m sure it won’t be long before they pipe up with advice.

Reactions: MDG

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to update on this.

For me the course at BOL is far superior in terms of layout, condition, views and athletics.

It’s also a MUCH more challenging course and the greens are lightening in Summer. Possibly some of the best inland greens I’ve played. Bold claim I know however they have to be seen to be believed.

The course is run by a number of very astute local Businessmen and I’d say it is extremely well managed. There no Committee role handed out to random members, based on time served etc

The greenkeeping staff are all golfers as far as I am aware. Some are cat 1 too so they know how to set up a course.

We’ve invested an few 100k on agricultural kit over the last few years and it really shows.
greens are a little scruffy right now. However beating in mind we have been on reduced staff and had zero rain for ages up here, that’s acceptable imo. They will be looking amazing again in a few weeks no doubt.

We are also building a state of the art new clubhouse and changing the hole routing in order to suit the new location

The pro shop is full of top quality gear. J Lindberg and galvin etc and the pro Sean is a top Lad. Lessons available in the indoor two bay track man studio.

Food in the clubhouse is cheap and decent.

It’s also a much friendlier place than Chorley. I’ve been here 3 years and not heard any examples of snootiness or other similar unpleasantness.

The membership are a very nice bunch. Lots of rollups etc which are great for new starters.

I just much prefer it to Chorley. Which whilst not being as bad as some. Really had a much more formal vibe about the place.

Happy to host as soon as these covid restrictions are lifted.

If you want a game soon though I’d ring up and ask to speak to Alan Schofield. Hes the membership manager. I’ve no doubt he will get you a free taster round no problems.

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
100% old links. I'd recommend my course Bolton golf club but we are currently at full membership. Again happy to host when covid allows.

MDG

Hacker
Visit site
Really appreciate all the responses and thank you for taking the time to outline your thoughts and feedback @tugglesf239 - much appreciated!

Looks fairly unanimous so far in favour of BOL!

Formal vibe isn't really going to work for me, for the most part I very much enjoy and of course respect a lot of the formalities within the game but things must move forward to safeguard the future of the game and some policies and procedures are clearly outdated.

Two more questions if I may:

1. I'm kidding myself if I think I'll be out in deepest darkest winter (especially originally being from the south!) but interested in drainage and course condition throughout the off season at BOL?
2. Can't tell online, are there any practice facilities at BOL? If not, no problem, will just nip to Chilli Dip as and when required.

Appreciate all the responses and advice, thank you.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really appreciate all the responses and thank you for taking the time to outline your thoughts and feedback @tugglesf239 - much appreciated!

Looks fairly unanimous so far in favour of BOL!

Formal vibe isn't really going to work for me, for the most part I very much enjoy and of course respect a lot of the formalities within the game but things must move forward to safeguard the future of the game and some policies and procedures are clearly outdated.

Two more questions if I may:

1. I'm kidding myself if I think I'll be out in deepest darkest winter (especially originally being from the south!) but interested in drainage and course condition throughout the off season at BOL?
2. Can't tell online, are there any practice facilities at BOL? If not, no problem, will just nip to Chilli Dip as and when required.

Appreciate all the responses and advice, thank you.

No probs pal.

Condition in winter Is much better than the majority of local courses. It’s moorland ground and not sat in huge piles of clay.

The wind we get helps to dry the course I imagine as well.

It can get windy up there. Which is a challenge but changes the course on a daily basis.

Practice wise we are ok. There is a grass range (well a patch of spare ground) that’s long enough to swing a wedge. Putting green is decent.

But like you said. Chilli dip is probably the best range for miles so I just use there

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
No probs pal.

Condition in winter Is much better than the majority of local courses. It’s moorland ground and not sat in huge piles of clay.

The wind we get helps to dry the course I imagine as well.

It can get windy up there. Which is a challenge but changes the course on a daily basis.

Practice wise we are ok. There is a grass range (well a patch of spare ground) that’s long enough to swing a wedge. Putting green is decent.

But like you said. Chilli dip is probably the best range for miles so I just use there

No mats in winter, temp greens or tees either (which sets it apart from the vast majority of courses in the area (although some are now seeing the light regarding fairway mats.)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening,

Any thoughts or feedback on either of these courses for a potential new member?

Recently moved to the area and both within 20 mins from either home or work.

Have done a search and can see a few members of the forum are either current or have been members of each.

Interested to hear people’s opinions on both!

Cheers,
Michael

100% BOL, Chorley is nice enough but Old Links is in a different league albeit for a similar price, the club has been investing in the course for some time now are the results are clear to see.

Without a doubt its a club on the up and is run extremely well and efficiently by an ambitious and switched on committee and with the plans for a new clubhouse coming together I’d strongly advise getting up there for a game and take it from there, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

MDG

Hacker
Visit site
Just a quick update on this, played a round with colleagues last week at Regent’s Park and now 3 of them are keen to find a club too.

Will try and get onto BOL soon but expect we’d all join somewhere together and they’re all open to BOL.

Being a new parent, just need to check when’s likeliest will be able to play at BOl and chances of getting a game!

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
All 6 & 7 day membership are are full, comps for the last two Saturdays have had over two hundred competitors quit a few people have left Dean GC and joined old links.

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Slightly off topic but surely Deane must be in trouble! We have had over 60 new members and at least 20 from Deane. Heard a rumour they are planning on selling land at the side of the 10