Time to move

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Long story short, I’m pretty fed up with the state of my current place. It’s a shame as it has a great deal of potential and ticks a lot of boxes. However, I’m tired of putting up with poor just about everything really - apart from the members, the pro and the mates I’ve made, they’re all great people.

Thanks to to everyone for the feedback on Puttenham, although I haven’t played it which may seem unfair it hasn’t made the shortlist.

I have a bit of a dilemma that keeps going back and forth in my mind, and it’s down to deciding between 2 clubs. There’s pros and cons to each as there always is right?

Both clubs are in the “best in Surrey” category but the better of the 2 doesn’t have great practice areas and is a little cramped by comparison. It’s also more expensive but you get what you pay for - don’t you?

I like the option of having a large driving range, free balls and a decent short game area but this course is a good 30 minutes drive away compared to the better course (lesser practice facilities) which is literally on my doorstep.

Yes, only I know what I really want. My better half couldn’t care less - she just wants me to stop moaning about the condition of the course.

How important is proximity to home, course quality, practice facilities and prices to you? I’d be interested in hearing any thoughts.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
close to home over practise facilities for me, you can always find somewhere to hit balls if needed, the longer journey will annoy and/or limit how much you play at times

30 mins drive for a poorer course, not for me

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Fundy, yes I agree, and it’s one of the things I’m pondering. All good and well having the practice facilities but how much will
I use it if it’s the best part of an hour just to get there and back.....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As I've moved around UK & Europe in 50 years of playing golf I'm now at my 14th course. Some of the courses have had great practice facilities but at the end of the day its the course and the friendliness of the members that decides where you play. I've never moved on because of poor practice facilities. The practice facilities are a nice bonus, and there's always independent driving ranges.

I've had 30 min drives to get to some but its been the quality of the course that's made it worthwhile, not the 300yd driving range.

Good luck

If I put my preferences in order of importance it always comes out as greens @#1, then bunkers, then fairways, then rough.. You could be at the best layout in the world but if your approach play isn't rewarded you'll soon get cheesed off.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I pretty much gave up the game not simply because my course was 40 minutes away but was an easy choice to chuck it with it being so far away. Coming back to the game recently I live 3 minutes drive, door to door, tonight was the 5th night on the trot I've been up there this week, would I do that if my course was 40 minutes away ?? No chance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Convenience for me. My club has mediocre practice facilities but I can get there easily from home and straight through from work so it makes evening golf in the summer easy. If I want better facilities there are other options available. If I was moving clubs it would have to be to a better quality course

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. The convenience factor is perhaps something I’m under rating by comparison to you guys but you make a very valid point.

It sounds harsh but but I think I could move anywhere else in the area and the course would be better condition.

The better of the 2 courses is on my doorstep but is approx 25% more expensive.

Still very conflicted...

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. The convenience factor is perhaps something I’m under rating by comparison to you guys but you make a very valid point.

It sounds harsh but but I think I could move anywhere else in the area and the course would be better condition.

The better of the 2 courses is on my doorstep but is approx 25% more expensive.

Still very conflicted...

can I ask where you are and what the two options are?

i joined my first club ever in Jan, it’s 15 odd miles, 25 mins from home - I love it

I back on to a course at home, 30yard chip from by back garden but the course didn’t appeal for many reasons.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Cabby makes a very valid point about being able to go up on an evening. If it’s half an hour away you’ll rarely do it. Also, one of my favourite practice times is to go up after 7pm and just play half doz holes.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I play at a decent course with limited practice facilities but am a range member at a nearby 9 hole course. I'd much rather be at a decent course than travel, as it adds so much more time to the days golf and I'm unlikely to pop there for a few holes of on course practice or to do some putting etc

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even a practice area hermit like me would choose the closer course in this scenario.

Hour a day driving to the course? Not if I can avoid it.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey Jobr1850

I live on the doorstep of Camberley heath golf club, kind of on the wrong side but it’s still only 5 minutes drive. Was holding back on naming the clubs as I thought so many people would see CH as a complete no brainier being the course that it is.

The second club is Farnham Golf Club approx. 12 miles away. Little bit awkward to get to but as I mentioned, considerably cheaper and a large free ball driving range to members.

I work from home a lot so have a fair amount of flexibility, I also do a lot of driving for work - regularly doing 200 mile round trips to visit customers. I think this is why a 12 mile trip to the golf course doesn’t really phase me.

Both courses are better than my current place by a long long margin.

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I live 15 mins from CH and 25 from Farnham. It's a very personal choice down to the very reasons you listed. CH is a top 100 course isn't it? I joined Farnham who have a big contingent of ex MW members if you are looking/able to join be quick as I am pretty sure we are full.

D

Deleted member 1740

Hey Jobr1850

I live on the doorstep of Camberley heath golf club, kind of on the wrong side but it’s still only 5 minutes drive. Was holding back on naming the clubs as I thought so many people would see CH as a complete no brainier being the course that it is.

The second club is Farnham Golf Club approx. 12 miles away. Little bit awkward to get to but as I mentioned, considerably cheaper and a large free ball driving range to members.

I work from home a lot so have a fair amount of flexibility, I also do a lot of driving for work - regularly doing 200 mile round trips to visit customers. I think this is why a 12 mile trip to the golf course doesn’t really phase me.

Is your house the one on the left hand side of the 9th at Camberley :D

I thought Camberley was a cracking course when we played it at the H4H a few years ago.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hey Jobr1850

Like you I do a fair bit of driving, over 500 a week easily.
I think its why I don't mind the 15 miles down the road to play Golf - because I knew that course was my best option.

Good luck with deciding

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Travel for the best course is my advice. You will never regret it. I'm 25-30 minutes to my course but it's worth every minute of travel. Fantastic golf course, great test of golf, superb greens and to top it off fantastic practice facilities.

Always take the best option IMO.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I live 15 mins from CH and 25 from Farnham. It's a very personal choice down to the very reasons you listed. CH is a top 100 course isn't it? I joined Farnham who have a big contingent of ex MW members if you are looking/able to join be quick as I am pretty sure we are full.

hey there hooker,

Ive had a chat with the membership team and it’s all in hand.

Looking to play one of the days this coming week and will be deciding very soon.