Chorley GC vs Bolton Old Links?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic but surely Deane must be in trouble! We have had over 60 new members and at least 20 from Deane. Heard a rumour they are planning on selling land at the side of the 10

Played with a lad who’s just joined ours from Deane on Saturday. He said 20 of his mates had joined BOL too.

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just to restart this thread. I’ve Applied with Alan to get on the waiting list at BOL been thinking about joining for years but have finally bit the bullet. Hope your all still enjoying the course! Hopefully get a game with you all soon.

MDG

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting!

I didn’t really get a chance to play much in the end but have started a fresh course of lessons with Phil Newnes at Chilli Dip.

Still deciding between Bolton Golf Club and Bolton Old Links - looks like will have to join a waiting list and see who will let me in first!

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How's the tee booking availability mate? Heard comps where busy over summer but so was every club with the upsurge in numbers after covid. Has is settled down now etc? Course still looks class I walk through it every weekend (footpath at side of the 11th ?)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to restart this thread. I’ve Applied with Alan to get on the waiting list at BOL been thinking about joining for years but have finally bit the bullet. Hope your all still enjoying the course! Hopefully get a game with you all soon.

Any reason why your leaving Bolton Karl ? Couple of friends in work are thinking of applying there.

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Main one being the introduction of fairway mats from 150 yards and in. Never had that before and it's gone down like a lead balloon with members.

Also love old links mate. Course is brilliant and it's on my doorstep.

Not to much to complain about at Bolton, new greenkeeper has done a cracking job and the members are brilliant but just fancy a change aswell.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Interesting!

I didn’t really get a chance to play much in the end but have started a fresh course of lessons with Phil Newnes at Chilli Dip.

Still deciding between Bolton Golf Club and Bolton Old Links - looks like will have to join a waiting list and see who will let me in first!

Douglas Valley was my first club (1998-2000 I think) - give me a shout if you want to have a knock at Duxbury - several Chorley GC members have moved here/returned in the past few years due to grumbles about the way the course was being run.

Last edited:

MDG

Hacker
Visit site
Douglas Valley was my first club (1998-2000 I think) - give me a shout if you want to have a knock at Duxbury - several Chorley GC members have moved here/returned in the past few years due to grumbles about the way the course was being run.

Played Duxbury on some Mayors Golf Day a couple of years ago actually and it's closest to home. Quite enjoyed it from what I can remember, some interesting holes without it being too punishing?

Interesting quite a few members from Chorley have joined.

Will give you a shout when the sun shines again.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
How's the tee booking availability mate? Heard comps where busy over summer but so was every club with the upsurge in numbers after covid. Has is settled down now etc? Course still looks class I walk through it every weekend (footpath at side of the 11th ?)
For the first few weeks/months after lockdown it was difficult to get on, even for social golf. You really needed to be on the app as soon as the tee sheet opened. It's calmed down a lot since then.
It can still be a struggle now (especially now that the days are getting shorter) to get on the comps. If you're not on the app at 5pm on the previous Friday then forget about it. However, that's the cost of joining what appears to be the best club in the Wigan/Bolton area. In all honesty, it just takes a bit of planning and you'll never miss out.

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks mate sounds good. I'll be on and off with comps due to work. Mainly play Friday afternoons and Sunday mornings so fingers crossed I should be ok.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate sounds good. I'll be on and off with comps due to work. Mainly play Friday afternoons and Sunday mornings so fingers crossed I should be ok.

You’ll be fine with those times Karl.
Give us a shout when you get in and we’ll sort a game, can’t see it being too long..?

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was told on Saturday that there was six / seven on the waiting list for seven day membership, at the end of March you always get a few members dropping down from seven to five days membership, any time you want a knock just send us a message.