Greenkeeper''s Revenge at Bolton Old Links

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
or lots of people who have very limited free time and for whom a round of golf is bit of a luxury, and wouldn't want to turn up for a long awaited round and find the place turned into a playground.

the most miserable people in our golf club, as far as i can see, are the greenkeepers themselves. this looks like way too much effort for them...

Totally agree.
Can't see the point at all, or how it could be fun.

There you go Broadus, told you there were other miserable people about who would share your opinion :)

474989-statler-and-waldorf.jpg

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i would say grumpy rather than miserable. i'm definitely grumpy. but even in my best mood i cannot understand the attraction of playing this ridiculous form of golf.

ideally i look for my mix of golf to be 95% competitive (qualifying / team matches) and 5% social.

everyone has a different mix.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
i would say grumpy rather than miserable. i'm definitely grumpy. but even in my best mood i cannot understand the attraction of playing this ridiculous form of golf.

ideally i look for my mix of golf to be 95% competitive (qualifying / team matches) and 5% social.

everyone has a different mix.

I understand your sentiment but provided the club had done everything possible to advertise this was on, the majority should have been aware and so if they don't like the format shouldn't have rocked up for a game. As a one off every year, especially at the end of the year I don't see it as a problem but I do take your points

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
9 of the holes was just regular golf with extremely difficult pins.

At lee park it is well advertised before hand so not many turn up unawares. I am sure it was the same at Bolton.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you put your card in? Bad form if that's the case.

Overall, I had an absolute ball. I only got 25 points, but had a good laugh, none more so then when I had stiffed my chip to 3 foot on the first for what I thought would be a regulation par, if I got the 3 foot putt.......only to find that the real pin was at the other end of the green.

Cue a 30 foot putt, that turned into a 30 foot putt back from off the green, not once, but 3 times to finally get a blob.

I play over 100 games in most seasons, so why not something a little different? If its not your thing, dont play, or go elsewhere for a day out. If they do it next year, I'd suggest a forum meet, as 10-20 of us doing this would be a cracking laugh.

Gary - get on the blower lad.:thup:

That walk back up the hill on the 500 yard par was a killer though, and it's about a 1-in-4 hill - I got a Duke of Edinburgh award after for it.;)

Watching Gary's videos on youtube its a miracle you got 25 :rofl: