Sharing a Fairway Mat

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a General Play round or a Q Comp would it be within the Rules to share one with others in your group or is it like clubs, part of a player's equipment?

salfordlad

Visit site
The only "equipment" you can't borrow from another player is clubs. Everything else is fair game to borrow.
Agreed. Now some fine print: you cannot use someone else's club for a stroke that counts. But you can, for example, practise putting with someone else's putter on or near the hole just completed.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed. Now some fine print: you cannot use someone else's club for a stroke that counts. But you can, for example, practise putting with someone else's putter on or near the hole just completed.
Fine, fine print (aka accounting font) - ok unless the Committee has prohibited such practice (in stroke play) by local Rule.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It might not be against the rules but it could be a royal pain in the backside for everyone else and slow a round down if people are sharing one mat. I guess that is for another part of the forum though.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. Was something that we'd only consider on an occasional basis where extremely wet course sections are encountered & time would be saved from searching for relief from casual water, if it even exists. Cheers

Steven Rules

Visit site
You did ask....

Clarification 4.1b(2)/1

Multiple Players May Carry Clubs in One Bag

The Rules do not restrict multiple players (such as partners) from carrying their clubs in one bag. However, to reduce the risk of penalty under Rule 4.1b (limit of 14 clubs per player), they should make sure the clubs are clearly identifiable to each player.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I didn't think you could borrow a ball.
As in the film Tin Cup
Can't remember the bit in the film, but it might be that they had different balls and I think PGA tournament rules are that you have to use the same make and model of ball throughout a round.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't remember the bit in the film, but it might be that they had different balls and I think PGA tournament rules are that you have to use the same make and model of ball throughout a round.
Playing the final hole in the US open, he only had 1 ball left, the commentator said if he put it in the water he wont be able to put a score card in

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing the final hole in the US open, he only had 1 ball left, the commentator said if he put it in the water he wont be able to put a score card in
Do we really think the Hollywood production paid very close attention to the real rules? Or it could be explained away by the fact that Roy uses a rarer tour ball that none of his fellow competitors were using, then the statement would have been true enough.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do we really think the Hollywood production paid very close attention to the real rules? Or it could be explained away by the fact that Roy uses a rarer tour ball that none of his fellow competitors were using, then the statement would have been true enough.
He probably used driving range balls 🤣 🤣.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Bachache alluded to this in #12. It is called the One Ball Rule and it is normally only in force in professional and elite amateur events. The player is required to use only a single type of ball for the round. It is enacted these days via Model Local Rule G-4. I have never seen it in place at club level and it would be ludicrous to do so.

Last edited:

AussieKB

Visit site
I remember years ago the Aussie Brett Ogle having a nightmare of a round at St. Mellion, and he said to his playing partners that he had run out of balls and was DQing, walking in and refusing the offer of balls from his playing partners.

I caddied for him when he was an Amateur in the early 80's in Perth Australia.

Could hit a 1 iron to die for, plus a nice bloke.

Swango1980

Visit site
I remember years ago the Aussie Brett Ogle having a nightmare of a round at St. Mellion, and he said to his playing partners that he had run out of balls and was DQing, walking in and refusing the offer of balls from his playing partners.

I caddied for him when he was an Amateur in the early 80's in Perth Australia.

Could hit a 1 iron to die for, plus a nice bloke.
Could strike a 1 iron to die for, but sadly in the wrong direction, resulting in many lost balls :)