Shallowing the club

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think the best thing you can do is practice dropping the club behind you. With or without a ball. Either hitting a recycle bin. Or a bale of hay… then swing. Just can’t do it by early extending. Have to do it while opening up low and to the left. But be careful the more you shallow it. The more the face will be super open in transition. So doing it with more a closed face intention is key

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the best thing you can do is practice dropping the club behind you. With or without a ball. Either hitting a recycle bin. Or a bale of hay… then swing. Just can’t do it by early extending. Have to do it while opening up low and to the left. But be careful the more you shallow it. The more the face will be super open in transition. So doing it with more a closed face intention is key

Completely disagree.
The best thing you can do is improve the impact position by changing as little as possible.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A slice isn't nice. If you're swinging over the top you will probably slice or push

Swing under the top, don't let the club get over your hands in the downswing, keep it under your hands and you have a better chance of making good impact.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shallowing happens, all else being correct, rather than needed deliberate action. Like lag. Try to do it, and you do more harm than good.
Does Young-Hoo Kwon ever mention shallowing ? If you turn into the correct back swing, then the shallowing will happen as a result. 'Draw the sword' I think is his usual line.
There may be two things here I think . One is that starting the club motion back down along the line of the shaft gets it started without swinging out of plane (neither high nor low). And, keeping it along the shaft line, and so minimum radius, allows maximum acceleration from the top.

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was going to start a thread about shallowing the club but I’ve come across this thread.
I’m really steep which has some benefits but I sometimes sky my driver which obviously isn’t ideal. I went to the range a while ago and I was slamming my irons into the mat like I normally would do on grass, it resulted in really bad tennis elbow which is still very painful now. As such I can’t practice as it’s too painful, reading here it seems the advice is not to change anything but I need to change something otherwise I’ll never improve 🤕
Help please 🙏

Tinkerman

Visit site
I was going to start a thread about shallowing the club but I’ve come across this thread.
I’m really steep which has some benefits but I sometimes sky my driver which obviously isn’t ideal. I went to the range a while ago and I was slamming my irons into the mat like I normally would do on grass, it resulted in really bad tennis elbow which is still very painful now. As such I can’t practice as it’s too painful, reading here it seems the advice is not to change anything but I need to change something otherwise I’ll never improve 🤕
Help please 🙏
I've been having exactly the same issue recently. Went for a fitting and was 7-8° down in my AoA with irons and only 1° up with the driver. Have been skying a few drives and have ended up with golfers elbow as you have due to the mats.

Get yourself a tennis/golfers elbow strap that goes on your forearm but below the elbow - that's really helped me and allowed me to play some golf again (no practice off mats though).

I had been using a pink tee and my driver was set to 10°. I'm now playing the driver in the 12° setting to get launch up and found using a wooden tee that tees the ball 2-3mm higher than pink has really worked - weird how being higher has stopped skying it. I'm also trying to hit up through the ball more with the driver but bumping my hips forward at setup i.e. reverse K setup.

For the irons I'm trying to keep more width as collapsing my arms in the backswing causes my steepness.

If you find something else that works for you I'd be interested in hearing about it.

HPIMG

Visit site
I’ve not read the other replies so not sure what’s been said but I was struggling to shallow the ball and how I fixed it was stand as far away from the ball without the weight going on your toes and move the ball more to the left for right handed golfer.
This will help you shallow as you have more room and the ball being more left will mean the club face won’t be open. As long as your good at transferring your weight you will never slice the ball again.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been having exactly the same issue recently. Went for a fitting and was 7-8° down in my AoA with irons and only 1° up with the driver. Have been skying a few drives and have ended up with golfers elbow as you have due to the mats.

Get yourself a tennis/golfers elbow strap that goes on your forearm but below the elbow - that's really helped me and allowed me to play some golf again (no practice off mats though).

I had been using a pink tee and my driver was set to 10°. I'm now playing the driver in the 12° setting to get launch up and found using a wooden tee that tees the ball 2-3mm higher than pink has really worked - weird how being higher has stopped skying it. I'm also trying to hit up through the ball more with the driver but bumping my hips forward at setup i.e. reverse K setup.

For the irons I'm trying to keep more width as collapsing my arms in the backswing causes my steepness.

If you find something else that works for you I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I am in my garage working on width every single day. I have a range mat out there. I don't hit balls but can do pretty much full swings and this has been my key for the last year or so.

Arm structure and width is the magic sauce to a good swing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just concentrate on my set up, if I am too close and the club toe is grounded and arms too close all the bad stuff comes out. Plus distance loss.
When I set up properly the club goes on the right path. If I miss target, that’s an aiming issue.
Some days I just drop into a good set up other days I feel like I am looking for it.
But to be honest my scoring has improved and my general golfing pleasure has increased.

TigerBear

Visit site
Shallowing is fine if it works for you or picking up the club for the first time.

Tiger doesn't shallow the club and he's done alright. You can get in all the right positions and square the face at impact all without shallowing, so not a thing to get too hung up on imo.