Shaft flex Vs shaft weight query

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought 2 clubs off eBay last week, one a driver and one a hybrid, same make, same shafts but stiff in the driver, reg in the hybrid (17*).

Now the driver is fine but the hybrid, apart from the very first time I hit it, is very much slicing for me, badly.

My 'old' hybrid is a Mizzy MP-CLK, reg flex (Fubuki) and weighs 84g. The newly purchased hybrid is a TEE XCG6 17* with a Matrix Ozik 5.1 reg shaft that weighs 53g so a huge difference.

I guess the weight aspect is why I'm noticing the difference(?) but if I were to acquire the same hybrid in stiff flex that weighs 64g would I expect to see better results?

If of any use I play regular irons and carry my 6i around 155-160.

Cheers

PS: The Mizzy will be back in the bag but I do like a tinker....

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
shaft weight is more relevant than shaft flex. however, neither would make a good shot a bad slice as you say. I

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
shaft weight is more relevant than shaft flex. however, neither would make a good shot a bad slice as you say. I

I would slightly disagree with that. I use heavier weighted shafts in my woods and hybrid because I find I slice the crap out of lighter shafts too.

You are right when you say that weight is more important flex, as I can play with a regular shaft as long as it is heavy. Likewise I use to use X-stiff shaft in my woods, but they where lightweight shafts.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bought 2 clubs off eBay last week, one a driver and one a hybrid, same make, same shafts but stiff in the driver, reg in the hybrid (17*).

Now the driver is fine but the hybrid, apart from the very first time I hit it, is very much slicing for me, badly.

My 'old' hybrid is a Mizzy MP-CLK, reg flex (Fubuki) and weighs 84g. The newly purchased hybrid is a TEE XCG6 17* with a Matrix Ozik 5.1 reg shaft that weighs 53g so a huge difference.

I guess the weight aspect is why I'm noticing the difference(?) but if I were to acquire the same hybrid in stiff flex that weighs 64g would I expect to see better results?

If of any use I play regular irons and carry my 6i around 155-160.

Cheers

PS: The Mizzy will be back in the bag but I do like a tinker....

Even 84 to 64 is HUGE!!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Yes! Weight is much more a factor than flex - which is more of a 'feel' factor. That said, I swing slower with a Reg flex than I do with a Stiff because i 'fear the likely slice'!

53gm is an extremely light shaft for a hybrid - possibly used deliberately to up the Iron Byron numbers. Not sure it needed to as TEE gear is (and has always been) pretty high performing anyway!

FWIW my old Rescue Mid has a (Stiff) 90gm (Fuji 904HB) shaft. The Adams hybrids have 85gm Matrix hQ3s

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even 84 to 64 is HUGE!!

Indeed, and it's something I'd completely overlooked. Strange really as I look at the weights of the driver shafts... (do i sound compulsive)

Yes! Weight is much more a factor than flex - which is more of a 'feel' factor. That said, I swing slower with a Reg flex than I do with a Stiff because i 'fear the likely slice'!

53gm is an extremely light shaft for a hybrid - possibly used deliberately to up the Iron Byron numbers. Not sure it needed to as TEE gear is (and has always been) pretty high performing anyway!

FWIW my old Rescue Mid has a (Stiff) 90gm (Fuji 904HB) shaft. The Adams hybrids have 85gm Matrix hQ3s

Yeah, I guess with my massive lack of spec knowledge I was wondering if the stiffer shaft with lighter weight would 'counter balance' itself in comparison to the mizzy regular shaft if that makes any sense at all :D

But I think the question has been answered for me rather easily so thanks all :thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah, I guess with my massive lack of spec knowledge I was wondering if the stiffer shaft with lighter weight would 'counter balance' itself in comparison to the mizzy regular shaft if that makes any sense at all :D

But I think the question has been answered for me rather easily so thanks all :thup:

From my memory of the Fubuki in the CLK range hybrid was that, although a made for variant, were very comparable to the original, albeit marginally more tip stiff.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I've certainly considered - but have never actually got around to trying it - an X Flex 39gm Miyazaki in a driver! The super-light shaft should allow me to swing faster, but the X flex should give me the confidence that I need to actually do that! A 49gm Regular certainly turned out to be a bad decision!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've certainly considered - but have never actually got around to trying it - an X Flex 39gm Miyazaki in a driver! The super-light shaft should allow me to swing faster, but the X flex should give me the confidence that I need to actually do that! A 49gm Regular certainly turned out to be a bad decision!

Tried it, its as horrible as you think it would be. Its just far too easy to lose the head, get quick... it failed for me as an experiment.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Indeed, and it's something I'd completely overlooked. Strange really as I look at the weights of the driver shafts... (do i sound compulsive)

Nope, not compulsive enough :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Mwa? .... Im not even into this stuff?! :D

:rofl:

You don't even look close!

Your sig hasn't changed for far to long! And nowhere near enough exotica in it! :rofl:

You should have been around in the BigHitter BombSquadGolf days!! :rofl:

Last edited: