Driver Stiff shaft

Skytot

Visit site
This weekend I’ve borrowed my workmates Ping G425 driver stiff shaft . I’ve hit it really well , drawing it a bit when I normally fade/slice with my own driver. My normal driver is a TM R11 reg shaft as is all my other clubs .Without having a fitting does a Stiff shaft help with slicing the ball ? If I try and swing hard & fast with my Reg shaft driver it massively slices . Any opinions on this please ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it has the standard Ping Alta CB shaft in it they play a bit on the soft side.

I play regular in my TM M4 but stiff in my Ping 425 3 wood.

The first that always has to asked is is it a true slice just because a ball goes right it it not necessarily a slice.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The biggest problem with your question is that there is no industry standard on flex; one manufacturer’s regular is another’s stiff. On my last iron fitting the two options were a KBS in stiff or a Nippon in regular; same iron head, same swing, same day.

It may be that the profile, or the weight, of the shaft suit you better allowing you to time it or deliver it better.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Another consideration is the head.
I decided to try the G425 Max head in my stiff shaft, instead of the SFT, which I currently have. I gained more distance, but look the difference in dispersion, with the same shaft. The SFT is doing exactly what it should do and protecting me from far right. The Max with the weight in the heel still couldn't match the SFT for forgiveness.
Image 559 is mainly Max with maybe 6 out of them with the SFT (the two left are definitely the SFT!) and 611 is all SFT.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221030-183559_Toptracer.jpg
    Screenshot_20221030-183559_Toptracer.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20221030-183611_Toptracer.jpg
    Screenshot_20221030-183611_Toptracer.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Cheers for all your replies . Think it’s a fitting I need .

Yep. But if you are, go somewhere decent not just to American Golf.

Even if it cost you £50. You can then go to eBay and get a second hand club cheaper.

Skytot

Visit site
Yep. But if you are, go somewhere decent not just to American Golf.

Even if it cost you £50. You can then go to eBay and get a second hand club cheaper.
Yes definitely. I was recently fitted for some Mizuno 923HM irons and the experience was superb . Scottsdale at Warrington isn’t too far from me . Also I’ve become a bit of a Mizuno fan boy so might wait for their new driver next year

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 425 Max also has movable weights in the head .
It may have been set up with the weight in the heel .
This helps the toe close better.
It’s a great driver but spins off the chart for me, but it hits fairways.

Skytot

Visit site
The 425 Max also has movable weights in the head .
It may have been set up with the weight in the heel .
This helps the toe close better.
It’s a great driver but spins off the chart for me, but it hits fairways.
I’ve just gone and had a look at the Ping head . The weight is set at Neutral but what I didn’t realise is it’s the Ping g425 LST model not the max . Which means I think less spin

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
There's three heads. The Max, which has a 26gram weight that can be placed in 3 positions to help a fade or a draw, the SFT (straight face technology) which has a fixed 23gram weight in the heel, to promote a draw (I can still fade the backside off it!) or the LST, which as you say, is the low spin version, with a 17gram weight with 3 positions.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There's three heads. The Max, which has a 26gram weight that can be placed in 3 positions to help a fade or a draw, the SFT (straight face technology) which has a fixed 23gram weight in the heel, to promote a draw (I can still fade the backside off it!) or the LST, which as you say, is the low spin version, with a 17gram weight with 3 positions.

are you sure SFT doesn't stand for "silly face technology"

Ian_George

Visit site
It's actually Straight Flight Technology - with the additional weight in the heel promoting more closed face at strike.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I changed from a regular shaft M2 to a stiff SIM2 and have seen huge differences in my slice.

I find more fairways than ever before - so definitely something in it!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Need a fitting I think. I am currently testing a regular shaft having used a stiff driver shaft for many years. Have a tendency to leave the face open sometimes, and after discussions with my pro, thought a softer shaft might help square the face as the shaft has a bit more flex/whip at impact.

It has helped a bit but the jury is still out!!