Driver Stiff shaft

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there not somebofy on
This weekend I’ve borrowed my workmates Ping G425 driver stiff shaft . I’ve hit it really well , drawing it a bit when I normally fade/slice with my own driver. My normal driver is a TM R11 reg shaft as is all my other clubs .Without having a fitting does a Stiff shaft help with slicing the ball ? If I try and swing hard & fast with my Reg shaft driver it massively slices . Any opinions on this please ?

https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/ping-g425-max-driver.113323/

Not sure what the rules are for new posters using the FS/wanted.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Need a fitting I think. I am currently testing a regular shaft having used a stiff driver shaft for many years. Have a tendency to leave the face open sometimes, and after discussions with my pro, thought a softer shaft might help square the face as the shaft has a bit more flex/whip at impact.

It has helped a bit but the jury is still out!!
I tried that earlier this year.
It just messed with my head, didn’t know what I was doing.
Went back to stiff.
Fitting yes I think your right ,just to clear your thinking.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s a school of thought that suggests the weight is more important than the flex, which to some degree was the case in a fitting I had.
Going for a fitting tomorrow.
What’s the theory about the weight over flex?
They must need to be in harmony.
I have been playing 95 gm and some say that’s to light for me that’s why I am inconsistent.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I have been playing 95 gm and some say that’s to light for me that’s why I am inconsistent.

It's here;

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2018/june/review-shaft-weight/

My experience was at a Mizuno fit at my club's studio. A few people cancelled and I managed to get up there earlier. Did the irons & he had time to try out woods. After a few shafts that didn't work overly well he asked me what I was using; a Mizuno driver with a regular Fubuki shaft. He looked a little surprised but set it up. Much improved. He then asked if he could try something? Crack on. I hit that driver (shaft change, same head), and then another driver (again, shaft change, same head). At which point he showed me the shafts & the figures. The shaft was the Fubuki, same weight but in R, S & X. The results were so close as to make no difference in terms of speed, smash factor, spin & dispersion. That might just mean that I'm :poop: regardless of the shaft, but it was an eye-opener. Incidentally looking at that article, I fall in one weight bracket for irons & another for woods, which seems to bear out another of the points.

Skytot

Visit site
Has anyone had a fitting and then not bought from the fitter, but used the data ? I’ve recently bought brand new Mizunos 923s , new winter boots ect . Spent a fortune this year after getting back into golf . I’ve got a putting fitting in a couple of weeks and thinking of tagging on a Driver fitting a hour later ,, but I’m thinking of using the recommended advice and buying 2nd hand to keep my cost down .

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
95gram. Please tell me that's iron shafts and not your driver?!?!? ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone had a fitting and then not bought from the fitter, but used the data ? I’ve recently bought brand new Mizunos 923s , new winter boots ect . Spent a fortune this year after getting back into golf . I’ve got a putting fitting in a couple of weeks and thinking of tagging on a Driver fitting a hour later ,, but I’m thinking of using the recommended advice and buying 2nd hand to keep my cost down .
If your paying for a fitting you are paying for the fitters time, equipment etc.
You are under no obligation to buy from them.
It’s in their interest to offer you a good deal on clubs.
But if you can find them elsewhere cheaper that is ok imo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mizuno pro225 project x IO 5.5 . 5/pw.

Great place to go for this.
Hit balls on the optimiser and DG 105 g stiff was number one.
Project x was number two but just flighted the ball better for me.
Swing speed with 7 iron was 79/80 mph ( not quite up to forum standards)
But I was very consistent with this shaft ,smash factor 138.
I was looking for control rather than length. These fit the bill. But we’re 6 yds longer than my pings.
Out onto the grass range it was freezing and blowing a hoolie.
Hit some nice shots but once up in the air they were going sideways.
Greg the fitter was really good at explaining things through.
Two weeks to build ,looking forward to that.
He’s going to look at my driver when I go to pick them up.

Highly recommend Birkdale if your serious about your golf.
On the expensive side but he price matched ,, .

Blue in Munich

Visit site

I was looking for control rather than length. These fit the bill. But we’re 6 yds longer than my pings.

Snap! Exactly what I was fitted for. ??

But they wanted £200 per stick and I wasn’t sufficiently impressed with the improvement over my existing clubs to change (MP-H5/MP-25 Nippon Modus 105R).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Snap! Exactly what I was fitted for. ??

But they wanted £200 per stick and I wasn’t sufficiently impressed with the improvement over my existing clubs to change (MP-H5/MP-25 Nippon Modus 105R).
Spooky the Nippon was number 3 on the optimiser , we must have similar swings.
At my age it’s spend it and enjoy it .
Or just leave it to my lad.
He’s getting the house so I am enjoying it while I can.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Spooky the Nippon was number 3 on the optimiser , we must have similar swings.
At my age it’s spend it and enjoy it .
Or just leave it to my lad.
He’s getting the house so I am enjoying it while I can.

More spookily we have a similar mindset... :eek:

I'm of much the same opinion and don't mind spending it, but the improvements weren't sufficient to justify it for me; ironically if he'd actually let me hit my current irons against the new ones to get a proper benchmark rather than taking my best guesstimate of distance he might have sold a set.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More spookily we have a similar mindset... :eek:

I'm of much the same opinion and don't mind spending it, but the improvements weren't sufficient to justify it for me; ironically if he'd actually let me hit my current irons against the new ones to get a proper benchmark rather than taking my best guesstimate of distance he might have sold a set.
Really .
I hit mine really well all in the blue margins.
He said “ they are a really good fit”
I just don’t like how chunky the ping 425 are it was a easy decision for me.
But I also had a little chip around the chipping green that’s were they were sold to me chalk and cheese.
I will get most of my money back off the pings.
If anyone wants a set G425 elevate 95 midsize grips mint con..

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Really .
I hit mine really well all in the blue margins.
He said “ they are a really good fit”
I just don’t like how chunky the ping 425 are it was a easy decision for me.
But I also had a little chip around the chipping green that’s were they were sold to me chalk and cheese.
I will get most of my money back off the pings.
If anyone wants a set G425 elevate 95 midsize grips mint con..

Mine asked me how far I hit my 7 iron, but didn't get me to hit mine to benchmark it with the trackman and balls we were using. Hit the 225 7 iron and after we sorted the figures he said he'd given me 15 yards over my quoted figure; which technically he had, but with a 30 degree 7 iron rather that a 34 degree 7 iron that I'd used as the benchmark. I didn't consider that a true 15 yard gain.

If I'd hit mine & had a real figure to compare apples to apples I might have considered it differently. I may still do, but off the back of what I considered an incomplete fit I wasn't prepared to drop nearly 2 grand. When spring comes around I might try them again with my own pro.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine asked me how far I hit my 7 iron, but didn't get me to hit mine to benchmark it with the trackman and balls we were using. Hit the 225 7 iron and after we sorted the figures he said he'd given me 15 yards over my quoted figure; which technically he had, but with a 30 degree 7 iron rather that a 34 degree 7 iron that I'd used as the benchmark. I didn't consider that a true 15 yard gain.

If I'd hit mine & had a real figure to compare apples to apples I might have considered it differently. I may still do, but off the back of what I considered an incomplete fit I wasn't prepared to drop nearly 2 grand. When spring comes around I might try them again with my own pro.
Yes I don’t blame you.
Normally it’s standard practice to start with your own to set a bench mark to beat as you say.
That’s how they prove the new shiny ones are better..
Very strange.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

Pleased you had a good experience, mate.

Skytot

Visit site
Top place Birkdale, especially when you consider they knock the fitting fee off if you purchase the clubs from them . I’m going to the House of golf in Manchester for a driver fitting £39 , similar at Scottsdale.