Sex discrimination in golf

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I genuinely don't understand how ladies having some relatively minor benefits/differences compared to men (shirts tucked/untucked, more tee time/competition entry options, etc) rubs people up the wrong way? Ladies literally could not join clubs or play golf until relatively recently, some courses still do have restrictions in place.

Making it as easy as possible for ladies to play and giving them a small range of times/competition to do so over and above what men get is naff all in the grand scheme of things.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My club has mixed competitions, and no restrictions on when ladies, men, juniors or seniors can play. There are limited times set aside for roll-ups for various sections, but there is no impact on the members beyond that.

As it should be in 2021.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm honestly baffled as to how this retort applies to my post!
I described a progressive situation where the club is run by paid professional managers instead of self-important member committees.
That sounds pretty third millennium to me.

This is a wind up right? Your last sentence was an absolute disgrace.

Visit site
Yours must be a member equity club.
I could never belong to one of those.
The self-importance of the committee members would make me homicidal.

I belong to a corporate owned club.
No huge initiation fee.
No assessments.
No membership committee to clear; the only thing that had to clear was my check.

Our club began life as a classic member equity club 115 years ago, shortly after you chaps taught us the game.
It went under circa 1970, and it was purchased from the creditors by a "legitimate business interest."
The 1906 Donald Ross layout was then beautifully restored.

The club is almost certainly a laundromat for revenues accrued elsewhere, but I could never afford a member equity club of comparable quality,
nor with my colorful background and ethnic name,
could I ever get past a stuffy membership committee.

We've got broads around. Don't see much of a problem. We can leave our shirts untucked if they're square-bottomed without tails--i.e., designed to be untucked.
No trouser restrictions except for no denim. Maybe if one played in a jock strap, somebody might object.

As part of the weekday playing geriatric crowd, slow playing ladies don't bother me.
I'm in no hurry, and some of them have decent asses.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm honestly baffled as to how this retort applies to my post!
I described a progressive situation where the club is run by paid professional managers instead of self-important member committees.
That sounds pretty third millennium to me.
You refer to lady members as ‘broads’ and wonder why people comment? Amazing!!!!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I genuinely don't understand how ladies having some relatively minor benefits/differences compared to men (shirts tucked/untucked, more tee time/competition entry options, etc) rubs people up the wrong way? Ladies literally could not join clubs or play golf until relatively recently, some courses still do have restrictions in place.

Making it as easy as possible for ladies to play and giving them a small range of times/competition to do so over and above what men get is naff all in the grand scheme of things.

(y)(y)

Lovely to hear and so wish your opinion was more prevalent than it sadly is.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe that greens fees should be linked to the tees you play from. OK, there's a big correlation to gender that way but not necessarily. I've played several courses where I felt I was being ripped off paying the same amount for a vastly inferior experience.
I think you should pay your green fee and choose your tee. I do, they may say oh that’s a competition tee only, but if I want to play from it, I will. Always have done this and I have been playing for 30years. No one has approached me to say no you cannot do that.
Just roll up and play, if you have a booking you have booked all the tees.

I don’t have any issues with lady golfers on any level. I don’t like any golfer who holds me up with slow play.

I do think there are and still are sections of the club that are derogatory to lady golfers, and those are also reflected back by the ladies.

I present myself as affable and happy to play with or without company.. I am no great socialite though, but I don’t interfere with their game unless someone is perpetually whinging on then I help.
I actually find the seniors harder work, some are hilarious and others are pompous old has beens who are used to people hanging on their every word.
Just play the game with anyone you all have a common interest surely you can take pleasure in playing with one another irrespective of gender

Billysboots

Visit site
I think you should pay your green fee and choose your tee. I do, they may say oh that’s a competition tee only, but if I want to play from it, I will. Always have done this and I have been playing for 30years. No one has approached me to say no you cannot do that.
Just roll up and play, if you have a booking you have booked all the tees.

Hmmm. I’m not too sure how the greenkeeping staff at clubs you visit would feel about that.

Are you saying you just do as you please or, if certain tees are out of play because of general maintenance, do you play off another tee in order to respect the greenkeepers and members of the club? Surely the tee of the day should be observed, unless a club official has agreed to your request to do otherwise.

My apologies if I have misunderstood, but your words come across as suggesting that, having paid a green fee, you have carte blanche to treat the course how you see fit.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Competition tees are named that for a reason.

Using them outside of competition gives you an unfair advantage over the rest of the members who respect that.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hmmm. I’m not too sure how the greenkeeping staff at clubs you visit would feel about that.

Are you saying you just do as you please or, if certain tees are out of play because of general maintenance, do you play off another tee in order to respect the greenkeepers and members of the club? Surely the tee of the day should be observed, unless a club official has agreed to your request to do otherwise.

My apologies if I have misunderstood, but your words come across as suggesting that, having paid a green fee, you have carte blanche to treat the course how you see fit.

as an aside, don't clubs simply remove the tee markers if they're not in play /not to be used that day?
Or at the very least move them next to an adjacent tee marker or another prepared teeing area (if they have extras ones)

The local club routinely does the latter two options not only for maintenance /recovery but also for strong winds /playability

evemccc

Visit site
I believe that greens fees should be linked to the tees you play from. OK, there's a big correlation to gender that way but not necessarily. I've played several courses where I felt I was being ripped off paying the same amount for a vastly inferior experience.

Green fees should be linked to what you score. With those shooting higher scores having to pay the most, and the +3 golfers being subsidised….after all, they’re not hitting the ball as much and so are getting a lesser experience and ‘less for their money’

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Green fees should be linked to what you score. With those shooting higher scores having to pay the most, and the +3 golfers being subsidised….after all, they’re not hitting the ball as much and so are getting a lesser experience and ‘less for their money’
Have you seen the divots that low handicappers take, creating all that lovely spin ?. Extra work for the greenkeepers so extra fees ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Funny!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Don’t bother going to clubs with tee maintenance going on , guaranteed disappointment. Ask in the pro shop if they have closed and not adjusted and offering a reduced experience then it’s a case of walking away or asking for a discounted green fee. I have usually been offered a reduced fee but I have not always taken them up.
If the course is fully open then why not?
I don’t want to play a shortened course or temporary greens especially if I have paid for it.
When I started golf I had to go through a process of learning the etiquette and playing with established members to learn how to behave and treat the course. So yeah I respect the course and you won’t know I have been there.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Competition tees are named that for a reason.

Using them outside of competition gives you an unfair advantage over the rest of the members who respect that.
Ah so revising for exams is cheating??
You could limit people to 1 round a week as well because they will get an unfair advantage by playing frequently..

Billysboots

Visit site
Seniors certainly should, no reason why not. Juniors, no. They have no income, are reliant on mum and dad paying.

I can’t disagree regarding seniors, I’m afraid. At our place, which I am sure reflects many clubs, the seniors play considerably more golf than many full 7-day members, the latter having to pay for that category of membership so they can play when they are free at weekends.

I get the argument regarding reduced income etc, but so many of our seniors play 3, 4 or 5 times a week, and do so at a fraction of the cost of those who can maybe get out twice if they’re lucky.

It does seem a little unjust.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t disagree regarding seniors, I’m afraid. At our place, which I am sure reflects many clubs, the seniors play considerably more golf than many full 7-day members, the latter having to pay for that category of membership so they can play when they are free at weekends.

I get the argument regarding reduced income etc, but so many of our seniors play 3, 4 or 5 times a week, and do so at a fraction of the cost of those who can maybe get out twice if they’re lucky.

It does seem a little unjust.
It’s true, and it does seem crazy, but most seniors opt for 5 day memberships as well. I think a 7 day membership should be same across all playing groups for parity.. but also in the end it would reduce the cost of a 7 day membership because they are not subsidising other groups .. now that is equality.
You could offer junior memberships that are related to the school terms and they pay a reduced rate to have access in those times, and even put in a roll up time for them mid week .. weekends should be only available to 7 day memberships.