Senior Open - Sunningdale

evemccc

Visit site
Advice sought for those who’ve been to / played Sunningdale — as I’ve got a ticket to the Senior Open this coming week

Which are the best holes to look out for, which holes make best viewing vantage points for spectators?

After going to the Open at RSG I was surprised to see the European Tour aren’t allowing own food to be brought in...? Is this the same for the ET event at Wentworth also (as I’ve a ticket for that too) Could be an expensive day..

orangepip

Visit site
I'm sure I brought food the last time out at Wentworth but these things could change I suppose ...

Based on my experience at the open, the par 3's will be good to watch - the 4th particularly. Also would be interesting to see them drive from the 10th. One notable feature of the old course is that there are a couple of great short par 4's which might be worth a watch and also interesting to see how they handle the 7th.
TBH it's such a fantastic course - you'll certainly want to play it after you see the pro's.

My only disappointment is not being able to go and watch as I'm at a wedding.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sunningdale (Old - the course being used) is a bit of a peculiar course for spectators as almost every hole is 'self-contained' as it meanders through the property. It's also quite hilly, so be prepared for some sore legs if not accustomed to that. Probably the most 'open' area for multi-hole viewing is around the green of 4th hole (a fabulous Par 3) where you can see the 3rd green, all play on 4 and the tee shots and 2nds on 5. Likewise, from around 9th green, you should see all play on that hole and, albeit from a distance, all on 10 - the view from the tee area being absolutely fabulous (my favourite golfing view!)! But, certainly on the first day, I'd suggest you pick a group and follow them. Senior events - even the Senior Open are much less crowded than normal ET ones, so you shouldn't need to rush for decent viewing! Oh and if you are not there from the start, consider walking the course from 18 'backwards' until you find a place that suits.
FWIW, Sunningdale station is about 5 mins walk (though up a hill) away and there's a Waitrose right next door to that if you don't want to bring car/food from home. Car parking could well be tight, so I suggest considering Egham or even Staines for parking if coming from London (Virginia Water is closer, but parking there is minimal) or Ascot if coming from the other direction. Better still...leave the car at home!

sunshine

Visit site
What a lovely course, but not great for spectating because the routing doesn't feature many holes that play alongside each other... expect a lot of walking.

Personally, I'd head to the far end to see the spectacular tee shots on 10, and players driving the green on the 9th and trying to get their tee shot within 8 feet like I did (eagle putt lipped out though :cry:). Also very interesting to see them play the short but strategic 11th, some will go for the green off the tee but I think most will choose another option so there will be lots of different strategies on show.

4LEX

Visit site
The best area for the lazy fan is between the 2nd fairway, 13th green and 14th tee. You've got a good view of the par 3 green, can see players hit their second into the 2nd and watch them driving off on the par 5. All within 50 yards of each other and very close to the clubhouse/tented village.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The best area for the lazy fan is between the 2nd fairway, 13th green and 14th tee. You've got a good view of the par 3 green, can see players hit their second into the 2nd and watch them driving off on the par 5. All within 50 yards of each other and very close to the clubhouse/tented village.
Indeed, a(nother) good place to watch multiple groups play shots on several holes without a lot of movement involved. Certainly a good place to head to later in the day, when feeling a bit weary/considering leaving.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Not sure what days you're going but this is for tomorrow and not the worst way to spend a day, flitting between groups..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 09.47.02.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 09.47.02.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 25

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Advice sought for those who’ve been to / played Sunningdale — as I’ve got a ticket to the Senior Open this coming week

Which are the best holes to look out for, which holes make best viewing vantage points for spectators?

After going to the Open at RSG I was surprised to see the European Tour aren’t allowing own food to be brought in...? Is this the same for the ET event at Wentworth also (as I’ve a ticket for that too) Could be an expensive day..

How can they police you bringing in your own food? Ridiculous

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site