Seeking a club in or around Newcastle

Mark#33

Visit site
As an avid player in my youth, I have returned to the fold after a (very, very) long absence.

I was hoping for some advice on clubs to join in or around Newcastle upon Tyne. My priorities are: friendliness (given I will need to find playing partners), quality of the course, quality of club pro (given I will embark on a series of lessons).

All advice gratefully received.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome aboard. What sort of course are you looking for? How close to the centre do you want to be, how far would you travel?

To get things moving I'll start with 2 in Gosforth. City of Newcastle and Gosforth GC (known as the the Bridlepath). I haven't played City of Newcastle but it is well regarded. Gosforth isn't the longest but it's enjoyable and seems like a good members club ie friendly, when I've played it.

I wouldn't be too hung up on the pro being linked to the club. You can get lessons anywhere.

Mark#33

Visit site
Welcome aboard. What sort of course are you looking for? How close to the centre do you want to be, how far would you travel?

To get things moving I'll start with 2 in Gosforth. City of Newcastle and Gosforth GC (known as the the Bridlepath). I haven't played City of Newcastle but it is well regarded. Gosforth isn't the longest but it's enjoyable and seems like a good members club ie friendly, when I've played it.

I wouldn't be too hung up on the pro being linked to the club. You can get lessons anywhere.

Many thanks for the tips. I've checked out both the ones off the Great North Road and they're within walking distance of where I live. Gosforth seems really friendly, as you say. Both are closed to full membership right now, but expecting numbers to drop closer to next spring - although I can live with a week-day membership right now.

Proximity to Gosforth is a big plus. It is a time-consuming sport, so adding in an hour to an hour and a half just to get to the course and back is not ideal. Unless I hear any new recommendations, I'll be picking one of these two for sure.

Thanks again...

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you are within walking distance of the Bridlepath, I'd say it's a no-brainer. Lovely course, not the longest but always a pleasure to play. A mate of mine is a member and lives a 5 minute walk from the course. I get quite envious of him being able to have a couple of beers after a game then wander home.