Scratch cards in this months mag.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm struggling to understand why anyone intelligent enough to work a device to access this forum would dial a scratch card number ????.

Agreed, in fact I agree so much that I've just rung them to complain. After being put on hold for 5 minutes, they got a piece of my mind. That'll teach them!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I always thought the arrangement with magazines and these scratch cards was that its ok for them to bundle them in to make money and its ok for us to throw them out with any cellophane outer wrapping.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did it not state the call charges on the card?

Probably, but what it doesn't say is how long the call takes - £12 to find out what you haven't won!

I wonder how many on here have found out for themselves like I did. And before the criticisms start - as I've already stated, I don't like them so had to find out before I could actually complain.
I deliberately made my OP in a light hearted way and even sending myself up a bit so as not to sound too detrimental to Golf Monthly.

I'm not too concerned about the money they make for GM, but what I can do is to exercise my choice to cancel my subscription if I so wish.

Finally, I'm disappointed to find this thread moved from The Lounge - after all it states, "Come inside and discuss anything". And nobody has had the decency to tell me why.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably, but what it doesn't say is how long the call takes - £12 to find out what you haven't won!

I wonder how many on here have found out for themselves like I did. And before the criticisms start - as I've already stated, I don't like them so had to find out before I could actually complain.
I deliberately made my OP in a light hearted way and even sending myself up a bit so as not to sound too detrimental to Golf Monthly.

I'm not too concerned about the money they make for GM, but what I can do is to exercise my choice to cancel my subscription if I so wish.

Finally, I'm disappointed to find this thread moved from The Lounge - after all it states, "Come inside and discuss anything". And nobody has had the decency to tell me why.

Can you not exercise your choice to read the small print and/or not call :confused:

It was moved as this is a more appropriate place for it.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why? It is a form of revenue for the magazine and has been pointed out no one forces you to call the number.

So because no one is forcing you to make the call that makes it OK?

These companies are conning people and it surprises me that GM would associate themselves with that. Yes most of us know to ignore it but there are plenty of unsuspecting folk that will be taken in by it. They prey on the vulnerable and extort money, end of.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
So because no one is forcing you to make the call that makes it OK?

These companies are conning people and it surprises me that GM would associate themselves with that. Yes most of us know to ignore it but there are plenty of unsuspecting folk that will be taken in by it. They prey on the vulnerable and extort money, end of.

Look at the average of the demographic of golfers and I would guess there aren't too many vulnerable people in there (rightly or wrongly) and again where is the element of personal responsibility gone? Why is it always someone else's fault?

Anyway you enjoy your high horse. End of. :rolleyes:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look at the average of the demographic of golfers and I would guess there aren't too many vulnerable people in there (rightly or wrongly) and again where is the element of personal responsibility gone? Why is it always someone else's fault?

Anyway you enjoy your high horse. End of. :rolleyes:

Gullible and susceptible to advertising yes - vulnerable no :)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look at the average of the demographic of golfers and I would guess there aren't too many vulnerable people in there

So teenagers don't play golf? They don't buy the magazine? You forget about other people in the house that might not even play golf? Fortunately I destroyed mine straightaway.

High horse? I'm entitled to my opinion and if I think that GM should not be endorsing these cards then I'm allowed to say. Mock me if you want.

D

Deleted member 15344

Aren't these cards put in by the distributors as opposed to GM ?

They give the magazine vital revenue.

They aren't illegal just need to be approached with common sense - it's not a com as such because they play by the rules - there is lots of small print. It's not GM's fault if people use them - it's a choice.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aren't these cards put in by the distributors as opposed to GM ?

They give the magazine vital revenue.

They aren't illegal just need to be approached with common sense - it's not a com as such because they play by the rules - there is lots of small print. It's not GM's fault if people use them - it's a choice.

I disagree, it is a con. Well it is in part GM's fault as I am sure they have a say in what goes in with the magazine especially if it could potentially harm their image or customer base. Of course no one will object to the magazine making a few extra quid, vital revenue as you put it. But do it off the back of advertising not by using scams.

I don't think many children or elderly will stop to read the small print, only when people like the OP (bill payer) sees the bill they realise it cost them £12 for a 3 minute phone call or whatever.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's legal - it's not a scam or a con - the rules and the small print are there for people to read

What goes it is from the distributor

These scratch cards are everywhere

The money they get from the phone calls covers the prizes they give out - everyone knows the high rate numbers

It's a choice to phone it and no sympathy for anyone who complains afterwards.

99.9% throw them straight into the bin

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you ever heard of www.saynoto0870.com? Its a simple website - gives you the relevant freephone / landline number attached to a premium rate number. Not sure if it would have scratchcard lines, but it's always good for 0870 / 0845 numbers for people like British Gas, Hotpoint, all that stuff. Well worth bookmarking.

Plus you can add to it, so if you find a freephone number which takes you to the same place as a premium number, you can add to the site to help others.

I saw it on BBC breakfast about a year ago, been using it ever since.