Scottish Fitba'

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your saying it’s not a penalty, but in your next sentence you are saying he’s got hold of his shirt, you just can’t get away with it these days, defender was incredibly stupid in my opinion.
Barry is a pal of mine and to say he’s not happy would be an understatement 😂😂
I would have said it WAS a penalty, albeit played for. However I've seen Robson saying there was a meeting in Glasgow last week where officials told clubs that not all shirt pulls in the box are penalties, the criteria being if the player wasn't going to get to the ball in the ref's opinion.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would have said it WAS a penalty, albeit played for. However I've seen Robson saying there was a meeting in Glasgow last week where officials told clubs that not all shirt pulls in the box are penalties, the criteria being if the player wasn't going to get to the ball in the ref's opinion.
Nah, see I get the shirt pull bit but for me there has to be some factoring of actually getting to the ball.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your saying it’s not a penalty, but in your next sentence you are saying he’s got hold of his shirt, you just can’t get away with it these days, defender was incredibly stupid in my opinion.
Barry is a pal of mine and to say he’s not happy would be an understatement 😂😂
See my above reply, I don't think Goldson had a cats chance of getting to the ball. If the only factor in a penalty is shirt pull then a player on the very edge of the opposite side of the box from the ball having a shirt pull would also be a penalty. See many of these?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the shirt doesn't get pulled in the first place, nothing else happens. It's utter stupidity every time by the shirt puller. They might get away with it but it is a risk, a gamble. No sympathy.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you watch it, he breaks free of the defender's grip, runs a couple of paces, then falls over like he's been shot.

Exactly the same thing happened in the last minute against Hearts at Ibrox, Hearts 1-0 up, Lundstrum blocks Haring, Haring panics and grabs Goldson, who collapses like a pack of cards. Do they actually practice that move in training?
Who's to say it's not the act of breaking free that takes him down. As I said, have someone pull your shirt, run forward and then either break free or have them let go and see what happens.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Who's to say it's not the act of breaking free that takes him down. As I said, have someone pull your shirt, run forward and then either break free or have them let go and see what happens.
Maybe he's got a bad case of vertigo as it seems to happen quite often. This might also explain his multiple handballs last season, none of which were punished.

68 league games now since they last conceded a penalty, some stat that.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe he's got a bad case of vertigo as it seems to happen quite often. This might also explain his multiple handballs last season, none of which were punished.

68 league games now since they last conceded a penalty, some stat that.
I haven't seen the Hearts incident but I have, personally, been on the end of a shirt pull when trying to accelerate off and fallen forward on many occasions. I don't believe that I have ever been diagnosed with, nor suffered any symptoms of vertigo.

That's quite a run, I see you mentioned handball incidents, have there been many other "questionable" incidents? I don't know as I don't tend to follow much Premiership other than the odd game on Sky or Viaplay.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree, but the Rangers forward made the most of it by diving
A much more 'professional' dive than the show pony earlier. 😦
I wouldn't disagree with that but if the defender doesn't have a handful of his shirt then he doesn't have the opportunity to dive / cheat. Two wrongs doesn't make a right but the first wrong triggers the option for the second to happen. Without the first........

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't disagree with that but if the defender doesn't have a handful of his shirt then he doesn't have the opportunity to dive / cheat. Two wrongs doesn't make a right but the first wrong triggers the option for the second to happen. Without the first........
The point is a perception, rightly or wrongly, that the judgements being made are not particularly ‘even-handed’…as it were. But that perception could just as easy be paranoia.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Celtic actually beat Motherwell in the previous game you referred to. Rangers had to rely on a 94th minute penalty to get a draw yesterday.

Talking of which, how come Goldson falls forward after being pulled back? And what about Lammers blocking the defender who then pulls Goldson's shirt? Not surprised Robson was raging.

Going back to Motherwell, all they did was get 11 men behind the ball. Rodgers is obsessed with keeping possession which is all well and good, but not when it gets ponderous with everything going sideways. If we don't get an early goal which forces the opposition to come out their shell, it is a struggle. We've seen the exact same thing twice already with 0-0 draws with St Mirren and Hibs. That's six points dropped now from games we totally dominated.
You're correct, Celtic scored in the 97th minute to avoid a draw. Celtics 2nd penalty on Saturday was because of a shirt being pulled, so it depends on the colour of the shirt being pulled, whether its a penalty or not 😆 🤣.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You're correct, Celtic scored in the 97th minute to avoid a draw. Celtics 2nd penalty on Saturday was because of a shirt being pulled, so it depends on the colour of the shirt being pulled, whether its a penalty or not 😆 🤣.
Hardly. Mikey Johnson would have had a tap in at the back post if the defender hadn't pulled him back, slightly different scenario from yesterday.

Good try though :D

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Or the colour of the shirt on the player doing the pulling. 68 games without conceding a penalty is remarkable, especially with VAR. Add to that a run of 44 games without conceding a penalty prior to that.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Or the colour of the shirt on the player doing the pulling. 68 games without conceding a penalty is remarkable, especially with VAR. Add to that a run of 44 games without conceding a penalty prior to that.
Ah! another conspiracy 🙄 Oh! Celtic have had 8 penalties, Rangers have had 7 this season sofar.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Penalty against Rangers a couple of weeks ago. Remember to reset your counter.😉