Scottish Fitba'

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Terrible result for Celtic against a decent team. Maeda is probably the last player you would choose to be sent off, with his work rate it's like loosing two players.
Having watched us fall short this season it's really annoying to think there's £72 million in the bank rather than on the pitch.

Would 72mil spent on transfer fees and subsequent wages make enough difference to ‘probably’ reach knockout stage, if not then why spend it? (it sure doesn’t need spent to win the spfl)… so either way it’d basically be wasted

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Terrible result for Celtic against a decent team. Maeda is probably the last player you would choose to be sent off, with his work rate it's like loosing two players.
Having watched us fall short this season it's really annoying to think there's £72 million in the bank rather than on the pitch.
Ridiculous red card. The playacting and over reaction from the Athletico players and manager got him sent off. Totally calculated and cynical.

Saying that, we were totally outclassed. It was a painful watch.

Its all very well saying there is money in the bank, but top class players aren't going to chose the SPL. Consequently every signing is a gamble.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ridiculous red card. The playacting and over reaction from the Athletico players and manager got him sent off. Totally calculated and cynical.

Saying that, we were totally outclassed. It was a painful watch.

Its all very well saying there is money in the bank, but top class players aren't going to chose the SPL. Consequently every signing is a gamble.
I haven't seen it yet, but was it not VAR that got him sent off?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I haven't seen it yet, but was it not VAR that got him sent off?
You never seen a bad VAR decision? He caught the boy late, but there was no aggression in the challenge, his studs weren't up and he didn't leave the ground. A yellow at most, but the guy rolled around like he had been shot, half a dozen players were screaming at the ref and Simeone was having a coronary on the sidelines.

Predictably, within seconds of the red card being shown, the mortally wounded player was up and running about without a care.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
StJ losing a two goal lead to draw with Well the most disappointing result of the evening 😉 No matter. At least the team has started to score goals…and ‘off the bottom’ looks achievable. Hopeful that Levein will be able to sort things to prevent the team being ‘spooked’ from being two up at halftime.🙄

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Would 72mil spent on transfer fees and subsequent wages make enough difference to ‘probably’ reach knockout stage, if not then why spend it? (it sure doesn’t need spent to win the spfl)… so either way it’d basically be wasted
There's no guarantee of anything but Celtic haven't strengthened the first team this season, they're brought in too many "prospects" and not enough first team starters.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There's no guarantee of anything but Celtic haven't strengthened the first team this season, they're brought in too many "prospects" and not enough first team starters.

Why they would need to though, it’s not like every other team has improved, league is barely a two horse stroll, CL group stage (& money) was guaranteed this season and 72mil isn’t enough to 'probably' progress.
The likelihood is 3rd or 4th in a 4 team group, so how much of the 72 do you gamble on securing 3rd when the outcome of games most often turn on a red card not a credit card

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Why they would need to though, it’s not like every other team has improved, league is barely a two horse stroll, CL group stage (& money) was guaranteed this season and 72mil isn’t enough to 'probably' progress.
The likelihood is 3rd or 4th in a 4 team group, so how much of the 72 do you gamble on securing 3rd when the outcome of games most often turn on a red card not a credit card
It's about making the team the best it can be, at the moment the board are failing in that respect.
Third place in a group is more than achievable for Celtic.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's about making the team the best it can be, at the moment the board are failing in that respect.
Third place in a group is more than achievable for Celtic.

I dunno if it is, isn’t it about making the team the very best it needs to be? What’s the point blowing that stash & having a team that’ll wup spfl teams 8-0 every week in the hope everything falls into place on 3 or 4 euro nights

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I dunno if it is, isn’t it about making the team the very best it needs to be? What’s the point blowing that stash & having a team that’ll wup spfl teams 8-0 every week in the hope everything falls into place on 3 or 4 euro nights
No, I think you should always be trying to make it the best it can be. I'm not advocating spending all the money in one go but a better balance has to be struck. How many teams in world football no matter the level have got almost a full years worth of income sitting in the bank, not many I'd bet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In terms of Celtic, what state is the ground in, the training ground etc? It is too simplistic to think only of money in the bank from sales to be used purely for new buys. Part of that money may need to go on facilities, upgrades, etc They could just be sat on the money or that money could be ear marked for off field projects.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought Celtic had a strong team at the start of this season. Still do
Goalie was the only change needed IMVHO
I think if Ange had stayed they would have performed much better, certainly made the playoffs.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
In terms of Celtic, what state is the ground in, the training ground etc? It is too simplistic to think only of money in the bank from sales to be used purely for new buys. Part of that money may need to go on facilities, upgrades, etc They could just be sat on the money or that money could be ear marked for off field projects.
Ground is in good condition. There are plans to upgrade the training facilities but that is not a huge investment.
Celtic have too many accountants in the boardroom and not enough people with a bit of vision. Of our last 15 signings only one could be described as a guaranteed starter.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's worth noting that Man U and Newcastle have spent hundreds of millions over the last couple of years, and currently sit bottom of their CL groups. If Celtic were to go out and spend 40 or 50 million on players, there is no guarantee they would do any better in Europe.

The model now is spend what you need to in order to win the SPL and qualify for the CL. Then sit back, take the £30m tv and prize money, and hope for the best while expecting the worst.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
It's worth noting that Man U and Newcastle have spent hundreds of millions over the last couple of years, and currently sit bottom of their CL groups. If Celtic were to go out and spend 40 or 50 million on players, there is no guarantee they would do any better in Europe.

The model now is spend what you need to in order to win the SPL and qualify for the CL. Then sit back, take the £30m tv and prize money, and hope for the best while expecting the worst
Every year there's examples of rich clubs having a bad year but also clubs from smaller leagues having a good go, Copenhagen this year.
My point is Celtic can and should do more. They should be signing a marquee player every season, someone that should be capable of going straight into the team and improving it.
The last couple of campaigns taking out two bad defeats in Madrid Celtic have been competitive in every game.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Every year there's examples of rich clubs having a bad year but also clubs from smaller leagues having a good go, Copenhagen this year.
My point is Celtic can and should do more. They should be signing a marquee player every season, someone that should be capable of going straight into the team and improving it.
The last couple of campaigns taking out two bad defeats in Madrid Celtic have been competitive in every game.
I don't disagree. Unfortunately the policy over the last decade had been to buy multiple "projects" and hope some of them come good. Some have - VVD is a prime example - but a shocking amount of money has been wasted on £2-3 million pound gambles who have failed. I'd much rather see us sign 2 £10m players than 10 £2m players.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't disagree. Unfortunately the policy over the last decade had been to buy multiple "projects" and hope some of them come good. Some have - VVD is a prime example - but a shocking amount of money has been wasted on £2-3 million pound gambles who have failed. I'd much rather see us sign 2 £10m players than 10 £2m players.
Not got a problem with buying project players but there seems to be a haphazard approach to it. Three wingers in the summer to add to the ones already there. How do they get a chance?