Scottish Fitba'

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Back in 2012 Craig Levine played a 4-6-0 Scottish international team formation and was defeated 0-1, ATM I can't recall the opposition :confused:
Unlike Giovani he did have all his best strikers available for selection and was sacked not long after if I remember correctly.
Sakala and Roofe were available for both finals but neither started. I thought that was pretty bizarre. Surprised GVB hasn't faced much criticism for those decisions.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sakala and Roofe were available for both finals but neither started. I thought that was pretty bizarre. Surprised GVB hasn't faced much criticism for those decisions.

Possibly because, unlike Levein, GVB had success in not playing them previously (against Leipzig in both legs).

But unless I am wrong, which happens frequently, Levein played a 4-6-0 formation against the Czechs whereas against GVB played 5-3-2 and 5-4-1 against Leipzig and then 4-3-3 in the final, whilst no recognised striker was played, a striking position was still tactically factored in.

Levein had neither and that lack of a striking position was as much derided as the lack of striker. At least GVB gave Rangers a chance, and they did score as well as hold out very well.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I remember correctly a draw would have seen then into the European finals.
Fate can be so fickle.

Not quite. It was very early in the qualifying campaign, on the 2nd or 3rd game in (it was 2010 for Euro 2012) and I was unfortunate enough to have travelled for the game. And it was dirge, utter dirge. Levein’s hope was to catch them on the break.

We still had to play the Czech’s again at Hampden (2-2 I think that finished) and we still also had Spain twice which we lost both, although we gave them a scare at Hampden before going down 3-2, day before my birthday so it was a grand day out in Mt. Florida ?.

Eventually draws rather than losses did for us as we did better than expected at the time only losing the 3 games.
The Czech game away didn’t decide if we qualified but it certainly shaped the rest of the campaign and the mood.

That was my last campaign of attending all the home games and most of the aways.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The playoff system is a shambles, That was Inverness’s 6th game in the playoff’s.
With a thin bare squad and after a long season hard going.
Bring back 2 up 2 down!!
Indeed - though to be fair Saints have been absolutely clobbered by injuries this season - even yesterday they had seven 1st team squad out injured and just haven't got the resources to replace them adequately - plus they started very early with European games (hardly believe they played and put up a good showing against such as Galatasaray) and have been utterly rank all season - they were there for the taking. Pity it was ICT though as I'd have liked them to be back up.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Indeed - though to be fair Saints have been absolutely clobbered by injuries this season - even yesterday they had seven 1st team squad out injured and just haven't got the resources to replace them adequately - plus they started very early with European games (hardly believe they played and put up a good showing against such as Galatasaray) and have been utterly rank all season - they were there for the taking. Pity it was ICT though as I'd have liked them to be back up.

But to point out the obvious, the (fairer) 2up 2 down would've seen Arbroath into the premier league and both St J & ICT could've started their prep for next season much sooner :sneaky:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But to point out the obvious, the (fairer) 2up 2 down would've seen Arbroath into the premier league and both St J & ICT could've started their prep for next season much sooner :sneaky:
Yes - but as a number of folks have pointed - survival in the SPL means jobs are saved - not just players. Clubs in Scotland that aim to work within their means really do work within their means - and relegation to the Championship would have mean the loss of a fair few jobs at McDiarmid - and that was on the minds of players.

Besides, getting out of the Championship would probably have been very difficult since - as has been demonstrated this season - loss of just a couple of key players can severely impact a side such as St Johnstone and even staying up they are almost certain to lose Clark (their keeper) and McCart (central defender), and may also lose Hendry (key goal scorer) and Rooney (double cup final goal scoring legend) - all out of contract.

As the manager Callum Davidson pointed out last night - a team like St Johnstone has no right to be playing in the SPL - that they have been in the top flight since 2009-2010 is remarkable in that that is the longest spell (by a fair distance) that the club has ever spent in the top league of Scottish football. They were a Yo-Yo club and would very quickly revert to being one if they had been relegated.

But the players - even, and almost especially, those who know they are likely to be heading out of the door, voluntarily or not, really busted a gut last night, and the 5500 Saints supporters in the 7500 crowd really showed the players that they really care about the club and gave great support throughout. Finally - mention must be made of the 2000 ICT fans who made the trip south to urge their team on - made for a great atmosphere.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Roof isn't fully fit. Sakala doesn't quite offer enough to the team overall. That's how I see it.

Roofe got 3 minutes in the Europa League final and never got on the pitch at Hampden. I know he wasn't fully fit, but was 3 minutes over 2 games as much as he could give?

Sakala came on a sub after 75 mins in the Europa final, and got 15 mins in extra time in the SC Final. Itten (another striker) never got on.

I just don't understand why he persisted with an out of position midfielder up front when he had strikers available.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Roofe got 3 minutes in the Europa League final and never got on the pitch at Hampden. I know he wasn't fully fit, but was 3 minutes over 2 games as much as he could give?

Sakala came on a sub after 75 mins in the Europa final, and got 15 mins in extra time in the SC Final. Itten (another striker) never got on.

I just don't understand why he persisted with an out of position midfielder up front when he had strikers available.

When you become a manager you’ll understand ??

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking forward to The Scotland Game next week. Despite Ukraine being the opponents Scotland every day of the week for me.

Unsure whether it would be the same by fans North of The Border if England were playing Ukraine. Please tell me I am wrong.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking forward to The Scotland Game next week. Despite Ukraine being the opponents Scotland every day of the week for me.

Unsure whether it would be the same by fans North of The Border if England were playing Ukraine. Please tell me I am wrong.

I support England in every game except against Scotland.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I support England in every game except against Scotland.
I would be supporting England. I would not be in tears if Ukraine won - but I wouldn't be laughing.

Feeling nervous about the game. But if the Perth Saints can do it when it matters, then I have belief that Scotland can do likewise.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well - that's Shaun Rooney gone to...Fleetwood Town - as a Celtic fan he was no doubt attracted by their new manager - one Scott Brown.

Without exception Saints fans wish to the guy all the best of luck and success, as in just two seasons he became an absolute hero of iconic status for his headed goals in the two cup finals of season 20/21 and his magnificent last minute sign-off for the club in this season's SPL play-off final on Monday as he galloped (he doesn't really run :) ) around the ICT midfield and defence and dinked the goalie. Now that's the way to say cheerio and thankyou to the fans when you know you are leaving.

And then he got his shirt all tangled up as he tried to celebrate - typical :)