Scottish Fitba'

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
You've got to hope common sense comes in. I fear Donkeycaster will unfortunately not have the balls to tell SKY that no, they won't wait until after the Old Firm game
Yep sadly SKY will play a major part in decision - Doncaster doesn't have much of an option, it's not a case of not having the balls, he doesn't have the power to say stop - that's up to whether the clubs would risk good chance of losing Tv money and having to pay penalty clauses to SKY.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Might be better from a public health point of view to leave dates as they are.
Plus, Rangers have more chance of winning at "paradise" with no crowd. ?

10 SPFL clubs support bringing forward the break. 2 support playing the next 3 games behind closed doors, then starting the break on 3 Jan as planned. No prizes for guessing who one of the two is, precisely for the reason suggested in your final sentence.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
10 SPFL clubs support bringing forward the break. 2 support playing the next 3 games behind closed doors, then starting the break on 3 Jan as planned. No prizes for guessing who one of the two is, precisely for the reason suggested in your final sentence.

I was joking but managed to fish you in.?

The real reason is that 3 of our important players will be away on international duty to Africa if the schedule is changed.

Decision will be up to Sky TV.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
quote from March 2020 -

“Furthermore, we are strongly opposed to playing games behind closed doors,” Robertson said. “Rangers fans have stuck by our club in the darkest of times. Their loyalty will not be forgotten and they will not be left behind.”

It will be interesting to see how he defends the current stance!

My understanding is Sky will be consulted but don't have the final decision. Their contract is for a fixed number of games, but the scheduling is down to the league. I think in any case, Sky would prefer to show an Old Firm game with a full house.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
There's no guarantee that fans would be allowed in after an early winter break so it's a strange one, I think. But no surprise that clubs are looking at it from a position of self-interest. Rangers will have players missing for more games if the break doesn't coincide with African Cup of Nations so they don't want to bring it forward. Celtic have a massive injury list at the moment so a break now suits them brilliantly.
9 of the 12 clubs are looking at it as it will cost them a significant amount of money that they can't afford - the other three are the Old Firm and Ross County who's chairman obviously thinks their wee run of form continuing is more important than the gate money they'd lose

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Every club will, rightly, look at their own interest. There isn't unanimity across the other ten clubs either.

IMO the SPFL needs to argue the case for the integrity of the competition. It might be deemed secondary, as it was in 2020, but needs to be considered.
Having been in the concourse of football grounds pre-match and half time every week this season I'd say there's a bigger chance of infection there than pretty much anywhere else I've been except pubs, add in mass travel (mainly supporters buses) and it's a recipe for expanding the latest variant of the virus - I said several weeks ago that we'd be shut down by new year - If games go ahead without fans I'll be there anyway so it makes no personal difference to me if they play now or not - it makes a massive difference to the fans who'll be locked out - and it might just avoid a fair few people getting ill if football stops for a bit.

The loss of massive amounts of money is how nine of the clubs are looking at it though and as with every other business that's how they should look at it.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Every club will, rightly, look at their own interest. There isn't unanimity across the other ten clubs either.

IMO the SPFL needs to argue the case for the integrity of the competition. It might be deemed secondary, as it was in 2020, but needs to be considered.

Something wrong here KAZ,-Integrity / SPFL??
Surely not compatible- in fact, DEFINETLY NOT COMPATIBLE ( admirable though the thought, intention may be), financial politics and playing squads will be the deciding factor methinks!
As davidy233 alludes-there is a starting point of 3 -any advances??
Think the sensible solution would be as the honourable williamalex1 states-JUST STOP THE WHOLE THING NOW:whistle:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I mentioned the three who may have had a motive other than money - the rest of the teams need the gate money they'd lose
Perfectly understood David but to extend (slightly) KAZ's mention of INTEGRITY then, despite rumours of fiduciary shortcomings at IBROX, don't you think that it would set an example in financial sacrifice and in having NO hidden agenda with No thought of financial gain for the season to be called off NOW??:whistle:
No relegation, no promotion, everyone starts a new season in the position that THIS SEASON has finished?
Some 'naysayers' may for reason of delusional grandeur object to this most sensible of solutions to a serious situation, but surely rational thought should play a pragmatic part in these trying times??
Love (and kisses) to all.(y)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Perfectly understood David but to extend (slightly) KAZ's mention of INTEGRITY then, despite rumours of fiduciary shortcomings at IBROX, don't you think that it would set an example in financial sacrifice and in having NO hidden agenda with No thought of financial gain for the season to be called off NOW??:whistle:
No relegation, no promotion, everyone starts a new season in the position that THIS SEASON has finished?
Some 'naysayers' may for reason of delusional grandeur object to this most sensible of solutions to a serious situation, but surely rational thought should play a pragmatic part in these trying times??
Love (and kisses) to all.(y)
Nope - only reason I'd have this season finish now is Arbroath promoted ;)

If they had played on I'd have liked to see the Old Firm TV coverage cancelled - that would stop the covid spreading house parties there would have been to watch it :whistle:.