Schumacher to return to F1

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have my reservations. Does the sport need him and does he need it. I understand why he is doing it re Massa's injury but it does also smack of a publicity thing for both him and Ferrari or is that me just having a jaundiced view of F1

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this actually a good policy for Ferrari? Possibly they see it as a way to negate the bad season (by their standards) they've been having but long term what's it going to do for them.
Their season is unlikely to get markedly better so surely this is the ideal time to bring on and race prove the 'next generation'. If by some miracle, they suddenly start winning what's it going to do (or say) for Massa and Raikkonnen?

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only person that's got anything to lose out of this scenario is Schumacher himself.
This is not a good idea for him, but terrific for F1. I predict the viewing figures for the European race will beat all records and hence advertising revenues will increase.
Everyone's a winner.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
The guy is a legend and as Tommo said he is still sharp but I think he will be on a crash diet for the next three weeks as he will want to be the lightest he can be.

F1 needs a story that for once is not all about legal procceedings regarding Bernie and Moseley and the romance of Shumi coming back will certainly do it.

I will be watching it!!!!!!!!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
We've said it before regarding F1 drivers on here. Each generation has it's ace. It's just always a shame when the sport is dominated by one character. With the improvements of McLaren and Ferrari, and the decline of the Brawn dominence, not forgetting Red Bull of course. This season is shaping up to be a cracker, and without the interference of the FIA or any marshalls rulings.

Personally, I would prefer to see Massa well and still racing, but as a publicity stunt and as a challenge to the 'youngsters', Michaels inclusion should make fascinating viewing.

Can you imagine he and Lewis going at it into the first corner. We're aware of both their reputations. No one will give!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have never liked bootmender, and view it as a sad day that he is back in F1. They should have entrusted one of their other drivers to have a go.

B

birdieman

It's still the dullest sport in the world (apart from horse racing and bowls) Schumacher or not.

It's supposed to be racing but no one ever overtakes. :D

Driver A has a faster car then driver B so driver A wins - not surprising that really is it?

Never seen what all the fuss is about myself.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
It's still the dullest sport in the world (apart from horse racing and bowls) Schumacher or not.

It's supposed to be racing but no one ever overtakes.

Driver A has a faster car then driver B so driver A wins - not surprising that really is it?

Never seen what all the fuss is about myself

this assessment of F1 made me chortle a lot as, like birdieman, I'm no fan for the same reasons. Used to watch it with my arl fella when it was Nikki Lauder, James Hunt etc and exciting.
If I want to see cards driving round and round in circles and not a lot else I'll go down to the Kingston Upon Thames one way system

...preparing to hide under the desk to avoid the flak I'm going to get

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I watch it only up to the first corner (I like it when they crash) after that it is procession driving.
The only overtaking amongst the leaders is done in the PITS, apt name for this game.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Mike and Dave3498.

Whilst I'll agree that F1 does have it's extremely dull occasions, and for some I'm sure that it is boring and dull, after all, you're welcome to your own opinions. However, dare I say it? That there are plenty that might also say the same of golf!! God forbid!

However. For some reason I can't help but think that I'm in the wrong place to put particular point of view across!

Let's put it this way. Having Schumacher back in F1 and in a competitive format is like having Greg Norman or Tom Watson vying for the trophy at The Open. Old past masters playing against the young'uns. The Open proved what a draw it is for anyone with the slightest interest in the sport.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let's put it this way. Having Schumacher back in F1 and in a competitive format is like having Greg Norman or Tom Watson vying for the trophy at The Open. Old past masters playing against the young'uns. The Open proved what a draw it is for anyone with the slightest interest in the sport.

Good point, well made.