Saturday Roll-up/fiddle rules

Jono_3

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all.

Ok so at our club we always do a Saturday morning roll-up. Everyone puts £3 in, which is £1 for best front 9, best back 9 and best overall score (stableford).

It used to be that if you win one of the three you lose a shot, win 2 lose 2 shots and win all the categories lose 3 shots, with an extra shot going for exceptional score (over 40 pts). Max cut is 4 shots at a time.

Now...people have made it over complicated because they felt they couldn't win (scoring in the 20's as 28 handicappers you're not likely to win anything!). There are now three categories of handicap. Category 3 lose 0.3 per person in the roll up (i.e. 10 players means 3 shots lost), Cat 2 is 0.2 and Cat 1 is 0.1. If you win two or three of the categories your cut is doubled or tripled, and if you don't win you gain 0.1 per person playing (i.e. 10 players 1 shot back).

So for example, the other week I won best back 9 and overall. There were 17 players. As a 14 handicap I was in category 2. I therefore lost 3.4 (i.e 17x0.2) for best back 9 and 3.4 for best overall, meaning I lost 6.8 from my handicap of 13.7 so I was playing off 6.9. After losing today with 10 players there I gained 1.0 so I'm now on 7.9.

I think it's now generally agreed that it's overly complicated for the sake of £3 and a bit of all fun competative golf. We're apparently having a chat next week about simplifying it.

I want to know what other people tend to play at their club to get some ideas. Looking forward to reading your suggestions

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i assume your roll up is run by either a statistician or an accountant lol

lose 2 shots for winning, 1 for 2nd and another shot if 40pts+, get a shot back each week dont win anything until back to your normal handicap

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have - play to your handicap and you lose two shots for the next two games regardless of whether you win or not. Score 3+ or better than your handicap you lose 3 shots for 2 weeks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saturday roll up - Balls drawn randomly, £3 per man (paid after). Prize for first and second, laid out on a sheet dependant on the number of entries, and handicaps adjusted for two weeks for the money winners.

Sunday roll up - £3 and random draw. Winner takes all. No handicap reductions and the last placed man becomes the winners "bitch" and has to order and serve the round that is mandatory for the winner to buy for all the competitors (and pocket whats left over) and make sure the empty glasses are returned to the bar. As a further humiliation we have a "best bitch" rosette (from a dog show someone was showing their dogs at) that they have to wear for the whole time. Trust me even if you're having a stinker, you really try and grind every single point you can to avoid coming last

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
7 pounds in.

Winner gets chopped a shot per past 36 points plus one for winning. Savage. Get it back a shot per week.

Get two drinks out of the kitty. Winner gets 10 pounds back, but has to do the ordering at the bar.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
At Shooters we played £3 in £2 goes on the round & £1 into the 2s pot, the round pot is split 67-33 1st and 2nd unless its a tie in which case its a straight split, and the 2s pot is split between whoever got a two (regardless of how many twos a person got they only got 1 share [much to my disagreement]). The overall winner(s) gets a 2-shot docking runner up(s) a 1-shot cut for 2 outings.

I've seen it a few times with groups trying to work in decimals and it never lasts too long it's too much work, and they revert to full shots.

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We play with our official handicaps - that's it - simples.

Correct answer if everyone playing is either:
Playing as a select group within a formal comp.
Or everyone submits a supplementary score.
If neither apply you have people improving or in a rich vien of form without being accessed for handicap purposes.

Jono_3

Hacker
Visit site

Absolutely right it is. There a 2 page fold out in the book to try and explain it and half of us still don't get it. Believe me you don't want to try and be putting down the scores in the book if you've had a couple in the club house afterwards.

HomerJ I love it! best bitch rosette! that's hilarious.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

lose 2 shots for winning, 1 for 2nd and another shot if 40pts+, get a shot back each week dont win anything until back to your normal handicap

Almost an exact match for ours - except you don't get anything back! Handicaps revert to formal ones twice a year when the clocks change.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours has just gone up to £5, official club handicap applies......fairly stable regular group and whilst there is some banter no one takes the mick with handicaps.

Since the prizes have gone up I think the max winner's payout is £25 so we pay well down the order, depending on entries. Also do a blind pairs where all cards who haven't won money are drawn into pairs and the highest combined score wins.

Works well for us.

Jono_3

Hacker
Visit site
Ours has just gone up to £5, official club handicap applies......fairly stable regular group and whilst there is some banter no one takes the mick with handicaps.

Since the prizes have gone up I think the max winner's payout is £25 so we pay well down the order, depending on entries. Also do a blind pairs where all cards who haven't won money are drawn into pairs and the highest combined score wins.

Works well for us.

On the blind pairs for those who haven't won money what does they win?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
£1.50 to enter, £1 to winner 50p for NTP, no cuts whilst on shorter course

Come April it's all change
£2 to enter prizes stay as previous, with 50p going in the charity tin, and remove blob and bunker fines

1 shot cut for winning and 0.5 for anything over 36 winning score or not

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I run a swindle for a group of around 15 regulars, played off full club handicap, as we play in the Saturday comp every week, which is always a qualifier.

£5 in, £1 front, £1 back, £2 overall and £1 twos pot.

In January we changed the rules so that the overall winner can’t also win front or back, so we always get 3 people picking up money each week.

2s is split equally between all 2s including multiple 2s, and rolls over to the following week if no one gets one.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
My place is really simple, play off scratch. $10 skins and $10 2's pot. To win a skin you have to win a hole outright and 2's are obvious. Normally 20 of us so a good bit of cash to be won. So basically if 6 holes get won outright between all the players then the $200 skin pot is split 6 ways and everyone who got get s a cut, but you can win multiple. Then 2's are usual split by how many there was, with an ace taking the pot.

Normally in the 4-ball we will have some side bets too. Great fun way to run a roll-up, so even if your having a bad day you can still win something as it only takes 1 good hole to get a cut of the pot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also do a blind pairs where all cards who haven't won money are drawn into pairs and the highest combined score wins.

Works well for us.

We also do blind pairs.

Last week I shot 43 points and won absolutely nothing.

There are a few of us who joined a long running swindle and would like to see it changed but the hints are not working.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't have one on weekends but the main one on Weds and Fri is pairs or teams of 4, £2 to enter all monies paid back with league table and winner over the season buys the Port for the Xmas dinner

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Normal handicaps, best nett score wins.

£5 / person. Pot goes behind the bar after the round & winner picks up the tab with winnings.

Not sure why it has to be so complicated!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my second society is more of a roll up

£5 for prizes... £2 in the twos club

winner gets a £10 AG voucher and the trophy
Sleeve of balls for the 2 NP we have

2s paid out for anyone who gets a 2.. they get a share of the pot (it rolls over) however if you get a Hole in one you get bugger all lol... yet hole in 2 on a par 4.. which is almost the same as a hole in 1.. gets the prize.. random