Running a book

Ajones

Visit site
Hi

I've been 'running a book' (being a bookie) for the last 3 years for my society of about 20 people. This year I stepped it up a notch and built a very basic app as I'm quite interested in that sort of thing, plus running, while fun, was increasingly becoming challenging as more and more players joined our society. The app (it's a private app) just helps me publish the odds and take bets all before the game so I can concentrate on my game on the day. So I can come last in peace ?

Anyone else have a bookie in their group? Just wondered how they manage it and do you partake? Or is frowned upon in your group/club?

Happy golfing!

Lost_Cause

Visit site
Think it’s illegal to run a book in the UK unless you’re a registered bookmaker.... so in answer to your question, no we don’t run an illegal book at our club, and we haven’t made an app to make it easier for someone to report our illegal activity.

Ajones

Visit site
Yes I can see the flip side to it and interested to hear people's opinion on whether it adds a bit of fun or is discouraged and can cause problems. We only do max £5 bet and one year I donated any profit (£80) to charity and the following year just put the profit into the society fund.

I don't think my group have any issues with it, in fact quite the opposite, although once we did have a 'long conversation' concerning a new guy on his ethics

Sekiro

Visit site
We usually play putt-for-a-pint on the 18th/9th, never for money though (probably for the same reason mentioned above, it can result in bad blood over actual money lost, a pint keeps it simple and fun).