Running 2 bags - Anyone do this?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I keep my clubs in a locker at my golf club, which is very handy and means I can just get out of the car and walk in the front door of the club. Likewise after, just chuck them back in and don't have to go to the car park, then back in the locker room door. It's not a hardship, but just a faff.

Already I have fancied a hit at the range a couple of nights and not been bothered going to get my clubs and other weeks I’ve had my clubs in the car all week and not touched them.

This year, there will be 3 or 4 guys in my work playing and we will no doubt arrange evening golf at short notice when we realise potential for an early finish OR when the weather is just that good. I'd probably end up keeping the clubs in my car or at home all the time anyway through the summer.

I have been toying with the idea of keeping two bags on the go, one to keep in my locker and not think about and one to keep at home for such occasions.

To have 2 complete sets, I would need a bag, 3 wood, hybrid and 2 wedges. I have an older set or irons that are still playable and not dissimilar to the ones I play, 2 decent putters and 2 drivers.

The idea being that should I decide to buy or upgrade anything, then the current clubs can filter down to the 2nd set. I have money set aside that I could potentially buy all new irons and wedges, but I always feel the cost for brand new kit is not justified and that technology has not moved so much in the past 5 years that I would really notice a benefit from spending that money on brand new gear.

There’s so much second hand kit out there, that I could probably buy or replace a spare 1 of everything to the same or better standard for the cost of 1 set of brand new irons.

Anyone else keep 2 sets in play?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have an old set of wedges and a 7 iron that are almost identical spec to my current clubs, if im hitting balls/practising I tend to use those most of the time, saves the wear on the forged shorter irons (and used to stay in my locker). Otherwise I tend to use my main clubs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tend to use my old I25 irons, old G25 driver and hybrid for range sessions (nervous of losing the weights out of the I Series irons having had that with the I25's after prolonged bashing on range mats) and have an old 52 and 58 degree wedge and host of putters so in effect apart from a couple of fairway woods I'd be good to go. Got a spare carry bag so in theory I could keep my normal set in the locker and have a spare set if needed. Only issue is 9/10 I'd be at the club playing or practising no not a viable option and would rather use the I series

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend not to practise at the club even though there is a range and goodish short game area as there is a grass range nearer me that I prefer to use.
Also saves me dragging a bag and trolley home after every time I play.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Currently got at least 5 drivers, 8 ish sets of irons, about 12 wedges and 4 putters. Bit short on fairways and hybrids, so probably only around 5 ish. In 5 golf bags.
I have 2 complete sets on the go, but rotate others in as I feel like it.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I run 2 bags.....just swap the clubs over depending on how I'm feeling.
Trolley bag and Stand bag. Some Saturdays I'll carry and take 7/8 clubs. Some Saturdays I'll use a trolley and take the whole lot.

both bags live at home but are stocked up with balls, tees, towel etc, so its just a case of moving the necessary clubs.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
OCD would kill me, I'd want a complete matching set in both locations.

Fortunately for me the driving range is literally a 30 second drive from my house and the golf club all of 5 minutes so the clubs just remain at home.

Wolf

Visit site
With the exception of a couple extra Wedges I could be good to go. But my other set of irons would have to be an old set of TP9s which are stunning but about as forgiving as a jilted bride.

I'd use them go away on holiday maybe save my clubs getting bashed up in transit or for the odd summer round though

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
You can pick up a half decent set including bag for less than £50.
You can then use that set for social knocks or practice and my view is that it won't affect your serious play one iota.

Experience over the last year has convinced me that while custom fitting might offer slight advantages, unless you're physique is at one end of an extreme or you're an elite golfer it's generally a load of tosh scoring wise.

I have a multitude of sets complete with numerous bags and last year didn't play the same set for more than a week, often changing sets from round to round, including putters.

At the start of last year i only played vintage clubs for all rounds including qualifiers and my handicap changed by 0.1 after 16 qualifying competitions over the year.

To clarify, that was taking my playing handicap of 12.0 from using modern clubs with irons that were custom fitted for me, and then playing what most would regard as a load of old tat, shaft lengths and flexes that could be anywhere, usually shorter than today's and with much weaker lofts. Going from an Odyssey Anser style putter to pure blade putters of different weights, lengths and styles. At the end of the year my handicap was 12.1

Custom fitting?
Pah!

(Sorry, gone off topic into a bit of a custom fit rant there.)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
OCD would kill me, I'd want a complete matching set in both locations.

Fortunately for me the driving range is literally a 30 second drive from my house and the golf club all of 5 minutes so the clubs just remain at home.

Obviously if you enjoy buying and using new clubs most years, then you probably won't want to have a 'new' set and an 'old' set.

I have been humming and hawing over new clubs for the past wee while, but like I said, just can't justify £600 to £700 on irons that will still play the same rubbish shots as my current 5 year old Taylor Mades do.

In reality, any kind of cavity backed irons with standard lies and lofts, I am probably not going to notice the difference.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I keep a spare set for anyone that comes out here and wants a game.

A virtually brand new TM carry bag, cost nothing as it was a prize.

Driver: TM SLDR
3 wood: Titliest 915. Used for a few rounds before they were relegated to the 2nd bag.
2x Titliest 816 hybrids. Used for a few rounds before they were relegated to the 2nd bag.
Callaway Fusion iron with graphite shafts. 2nd hand on the local market, €55.
Lynx gap wedge, brand new. 2nd hand on the local market, €20.
Odyssey putter. 2nd hand on the local market, €10.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have two bags/sets on the go, but both are at home. I actually only use the one bag, but I swap clubs in and out of it for various reasons. Having two bags/sets, along with two trolleys (one electric and one manual), has proved useful when golf playing relatives or friends come to stay.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I keep my clubs in a locker at my golf club, which is very handy and means I can just get out of the car and walk in the front door of the club. Likewise after, just chuck them back in and don't have to go to the car park, then back in the locker room door. It's not a hardship, but just a faff.

Already I have fancied a hit at the range a couple of nights and not been bothered going to get my clubs and other weeks I’ve had my clubs in the car all week and not touched them.

This year, there will be 3 or 4 guys in my work playing and we will no doubt arrange evening golf at short notice when we realise potential for an early finish OR when the weather is just that good. I'd probably end up keeping the clubs in my car or at home all the time anyway through the summer.

I have been toying with the idea of keeping two bags on the go, one to keep in my locker and not think about and one to keep at home for such occasions.

To have 2 complete sets, I would need a bag, 3 wood, hybrid and 2 wedges. I have an older set or irons that are still playable and not dissimilar to the ones I play, 2 decent putters and 2 drivers.

The idea being that should I decide to buy or upgrade anything, then the current clubs can filter down to the 2nd set. I have money set aside that I could potentially buy all new irons and wedges, but I always feel the cost for brand new kit is not justified and that technology has not moved so much in the past 5 years that I would really notice a benefit from spending that money on brand new gear.

There’s so much second hand kit out there, that I could probably buy or replace a spare 1 of everything to the same or better standard for the cost of 1 set of brand new irons.

Anyone else keep 2 sets in play?
There was a time, when I was working in Scotland, when I had 3 sets - 1 at the Club (in Scotland), 1 at home and 1 in the boot of the car. Irons were all the same - TM300s w Rifle 6 - but Woods/hybrids were 'assorted'. For much of the time, I had a couple of 'spare' sets of the same irons too!

So I'd certainly gives the thumbs up to the idea!

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I don't need a second set, but if I did, then I'd build a really good set that you are just as pleased to play with as normal set.
To the extent that you could swap sections over if you fancied.

Two life lessons for me behind this;
a) It's only money - that's what everyone told me when I got divorced. (Probably cost me 300 golf club full sets) - you can tell I'm not bitter....grrrrr!
b) More seriously, life is way too short. I've been to far to many funerals.

So, go for it and enjoy the precious time you have on the course with kit you that makes you feel good.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can pick up a half decent set including bag for less than £50.
You can then use that set for social knocks or practice and my view is that it won't affect your serious play one iota.

Experience over the last year has convinced me that while custom fitting might offer slight advantages, unless you're physique is at one end of an extreme or you're an elite golfer it's generally a load of tosh scoring wise.

I have a multitude of sets complete with numerous bags and last year didn't play the same set for more than a week, often changing sets from round to round, including putters.

At the start of last year i only played vintage clubs for all rounds including qualifiers and my handicap changed by 0.1 after 16 qualifying competitions over the year.

To clarify, that was taking my playing handicap of 12.0 from using modern clubs with irons that were custom fitted for me, and then playing what most would regard as a load of old tat, shaft lengths and flexes that could be anywhere, usually shorter than today's and with much weaker lofts. Going from an Odyssey Anser style putter to pure blade putters of different weights, lengths and styles. At the end of the year my handicap was 12.1

Custom fitting?
Pah!

(Sorry, gone off topic into a bit of a custom fit rant there.)
So you have got worse though 😂🤷🏽‍♂️