Rules Question

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So, in a Open comp team A puts all their gross scores on their card correctly and declares and signs for a total 86.

Team B's card is filled in and declares a 87 as does team C.

Team B is announced the winner on count-back from team C.

However, after a phone call the following day to the club, team A realises they added their card up incorrectly and in-fact have 88 points!

The club then announce team A the winners as their gross scores where correct but they added them up incorrectly and they (the club) have accepted this!

Is this right, if team A put 86 in the box or anywhere on the card and declared that score and signed for it, should the club be able to accept that they simply added up the gross scores incorrectly?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You're responsible for the total on each hole so I would guess in a team comp the same aplies.
The Committee is responsible for adding up the numbers and checking the cards - that's what me, LIG and AAChewer were doing at West Hill before dinner...
Screw up by the Committee and the result probably stands as the comp was closed..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It is up to the Committee to add up score cards, so they are wrong not to check and alter it. If, however, the result has been announced then, as I understand it, the result stands.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
You're responsible for the total on each hole so I would guess in a team comp the same aplies.
The Committee is responsible for adding up the numbers and checking the cards - that's what me, LIG and AAChewer were doing at West Hill before dinner...
Screw up by the Committee and the result probably stands as the comp was closed..

The gross totals were correct on team A's card but they themselves totalled them up incorrectly, not the committee as such a winner with a higher score (team B) was announced. Can they, as they have, look back at team A's card and find that the gross scores were added up wrong and then announce them winners?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The gross totals were correct on team A's card but they themselves totalled them up incorrectly, not the committee as such a winner with a higher score (team B) was announced. Can they, as they have, look back at team A's card and find that the gross scores were added up wrong and then announce them winners?

The announcement falls under Rule 34 A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Many team games fall outside of the rules of golf so the committee can do whatever it sees fit for their competition.

But, in order to avoid confusion such as outlined by Fish, they should declare the rules for the competition and every eventuality should be written into those rules.
When this is done I imagine it's common practice for the committee to write rules specific to their event, a scramble for instance, and then to add that the rules of golf shall apply to all other eventualities.

If they've done the above, and not written anything about the query as outlined by Fish, then the result should stand.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Committee should be sacked for not checking cards before announcing winners. We have procedure set in place for top 5 cards to be checked before the winners are announced.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
33-5/2 Wrong Handicap Applied by Committee Results in Player Not Receiving Prize

Q. In a stroke-play competition, A returns a card showing the handicap to which he is entitled and the Committee applies the wrong handicap or miscalculates the correct net score. This results in another competitor receiving a prize to which A was entitled. The error is discovered after the competition has closed. What is the ruling?

A. The Committee should correct its error by retrieving the prize and awarding it to A. There is no time limit for correcting such an error. Rule 34-1b is not applicable since it deals with penalties and not with Committee errors.