rules question?

mrwoo

Club Champion
Visit site
Was palying in a comp with Mrs Woo, when we had the following sittuation.

Both balls on the fairway about a foot apart.

Hers was behind mine, so I suggested that mine could be marked to enable her to play hers more easily.

She was unsure that this would be legal, so played hers with mine still in place. As it happens she played a good shot, but was I correct in assuming mine could be marked if it caused her a problem playing her shot?

Thanks,
Woo

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes. Rule 22 - 2 says:

"Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that another ball might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted.
A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see Rule 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned, unless it lies on the putting green (see Rule 21). "

mrwoo

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks, we have a fairly good knowledge of the rules, but occasionaly get sittuations like this where we are unsure.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
The important point with this rule is the player must request the ball is moved. The person who's ball it is can't just take it upon themselves to lift it.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
The important point with this rule is the player must request the ball is moved. The person who's ball it is can't just take it upon themselves to lift it.

Indeed. You can't take it on yourself to decide your ball is interfering with another player you have to wait to be asked.

However you can mark and lift your ball if you think it will assist another player (e.g. by acting as a backstop by the hole). You can also ask that any other ball that might assist another player is marked and lifted.

See Rule 22.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And is it ok to have the player who is closer play first?

If the 2 balls are only a couple of inches apart and the farthest from the hole plays first, it will destroy the lie for the closer ball.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site

If the 2 balls are only a couple of inches apart and the farthest from the hole plays first, it will destroy the lie for the closer ball.

You are entitled to the same lie as you had before the other guy played his shot. Same as in a bunker where you can replicate the lie you had before lifting it. I guess you just replace it as close as possible where the divot doesnt interfere on the fairway/rough

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Under Rule 22, in stroke play, a player required to lift a ball that is assisting or interfering with play may play first rather than lift his ball. See also Rule 10-2b - Order of Play - Stroke Play - Exceptions

That does not however apply in match play.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

You are entitled to the same lie as you had before the other guy played his shot. Same as in a bunker where you can replicate the lie you had before lifting it. I guess you just replace it as close as possible where the divot doesnt interfere on the fairway/rough

Rule 20-3b

"b. Lie of Ball to be Placed or Replaced Altered
If the original lie of a ball to be placed or replaced has been altered:
(i) except in a hazard, the ball must be placed in the nearest lie most similar to the original lie that is not more than one club-length from the original lie, not nearer the hole and not in a hazard;
(ii) in a water hazard, the ball must be placed in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that the ball must be placed in the water hazard;
(iii) in a bunker, the original lie must be re-created as nearly as possible and the ball must be placed in that lie."

Decision 20-3b/1 indicates that in a bunker if the original lie was in a footmark and that is obliterated by the other player's shot then you re-create the lie, footmark and all.

Interestingly, according to Decision 20-3b/2, even if a ball in a bunker isn't lifted but another player altered the lie of the ball in taking his stance (e.g. he made a mound of sand behind the ball) then in equity the original lie should be recreated.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Funnily enough this also includes if you had a bad lie. If you are in a divot you go back there. Even if the ball is sitting on a leaf you must also pick up the leaf and then replace your ball back on the leaf before playing the shot.

This very situation is covered in Barry Rhodes newsletter this week.