rules query on searching for lost ball

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
happened yesterday, teed off into thick rough, played provisional which also went into similar area of rough.
we start looking for 1st ball...........

so is it 5 mins for first ball and 5 mins for 2nd ball or 5 mins to find either as they are in the same area?

would it be a seperate 5 mins if they were further apart?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
5 minutes in total if close together.

5minutes for each ball if far apart, e.g.opposite sides of the fairway.

Decision 27/4

Now I hope you have played a provisional that is easily distinguished from the first ball you played. If you played a provisional of the same type/number etc with nothing to distinguish it from the first ball you have a problem if they end up beside each other.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
5 minutes in total if close together.

5minutes for each ball if far apart, e.g.opposite sides of the fairway.

Decision 27/4

Now I hope you have played a provisional that is easily distinguished from the first ball you played. If you played a provisional of the same type/number etc with nothing to distinguish it from the first ball you have a problem if they end up beside each other.

different markings of course, however, the answer sounds a bit wooly....'far apart' what determines far apart? 20 yards is far apart and as you cant find them straight away then who's to say they're not 5 yds or 50 yds apart?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is covered by decision 27/4 Time Permitted for Search for Original Ball and Provisional Ball

Q. Is a player allowed five minutes to search for his original ball and five more minutes to search for his provisional ball, or just a total of five minutes?

A. If the two balls are so close together that, in effect, both balls would be searched for simultaneously, a total of five minutes for search is allowed. Otherwise, the player is allowed to search five minutes for each ball.

I guess you just have to exercise some discretion and apply common sense.

Interstingly at the weekend we were discussing how seldom we actually time a search. Usually it's just a matter of guessing that we have been looking for about 5 minutes. I thought there might be a niche for a little timer for your golf bag, like a mini kitchen timer, pre set, that you can start and then it beeps after 5 mins (I don't wear a watch when I play).

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks mashie, even the official rule leaves itself open to interpretation!

Most people expect to find their ball quickly so don't time it, I don't know anyone ever who has timed it, most probably don't want to and a rough guess is fine for all of us. Carrying a timer just for lost ball searching is a bit like having your own policeman/referee with you, or if your the one with one do you adopt the referee stance!