Lost ball or birdie ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Going back to the original question. If a ball is holed the hole is over for that player. If that player doesn't realise it's been holed, he may carry on playing with another ball. Those strokes won't count for the hole in play but do they have any other status? Isn't he practising? Or do the rules give a dispensation that "shots played under some misapprehension" do not count as practice?
Steven Rules has posted the rule. I'd imagine that in order to be penalised for practicing, the player has to have an intent to practice? If they believe they are actually still playing the hole, then I'd think it is safe to say their intent to practice is zero.

DickInShorts

Visit site
Just to ask - what stops people doing what Williamalex said above?

Say you play a ball and think it may not be findable/ terrible position that you don't really want to find it.

You can just drop a ball where you last played your shot from and continue with that one?

I ensure my playing fellow competitors know I’m not playing a provisional I consider I don’t want to find the previous shot by announcing quite clearly that my next shot is NOT a provisional.