Rules in club comps

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's right not a member of a club yet.
My club is open to non members also non golfers, free rules books are available to everyone.
Just ask you're PPs to keep you right on the rules and etiquette , we've all been there so don't worry. The majority of golfers are good guys.(y)

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Better to have something than face the rules (don't) know it all with nothing to come back with. You'll be amazed how many people are adamant about the rules and it turns out they are so far off the mark its laughable when pulled up and asked to prove it. There have been some threads on here regarding this matter and some of the so called rules people think are right are scary

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Better to have something than face the rules (don't) know it all with nothing to come back with. You'll be amazed how many people are adamant about the rules and it turns out they are so far off the mark its laughable when pulled up and asked to prove it. There have been some threads on here regarding this matter and some of the so called rules people think are right are scary
Are you suggesting the OP should study the rule book for years before playing a comp, but will still get it wrong anyway :LOL:

Diamond

Visit site
Whilst the R&A book is free for club members, and a big improvement on the previous edition, it's nowhere near as easy to use as this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3906852156/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_unFjEbED6HES3

Might seem extravagant to some to pay for a book when you can get one for free but I find it very useful. It's not a complete rule book but complements the official book and covers all the most common situations.
That is what I have bought for £3.50

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are you suggesting the OP should study the rule book for years before playing a comp, but will still get it wrong anyway :LOL:
No but better to be able to double check if in any doubt and as we know from previous threads so many seem to be "certain" of the rules and are incorrect. If the OP can get a basic understanding and ask where necessary, nothing wrong with double checking. Call the group behind through, look it up and proceed

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No but better to be able to double check if in any doubt and as we know from previous threads so many seem to be "certain" of the rules and are incorrect. If the OP can get a basic understanding and ask where necessary, nothing wrong with double checking. Call the group behind through, look it up and proceed
Like riding a bike , you fall lots of times, get bruised a bit, but learn as you go.
You can't expect a novice to stand and argue rules with experienced players, even though they may be wrong.
You learn from others and by your mistakes.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like riding a bike , you fall lots of times, get bruised a bit, but learn as you go.
You can't expect a novice to stand and argue rules with experienced players, even though they may be wrong.
You learn from others and by your mistakes.

And up to a point I totally agree. However, and dependant on the OP, as he hasn't joined a club yet, there is nothing to stop him using the simple guide, the R&A app or even their online quiz and learning some of the basics. That may at least give him a degree of background knowledge which a) may help him transgress initially and b) get him thinking if he thinks something is wrong even if he doesn't act on it at the time but goes away and check.

I do take your point. I got done by a doozy. Totally my fault and as you say learn by your mistakes. My old club didn't have a practice ground as such but you could play 1-3 and go down 18. The course was quiet and I wasn't due out in the roll up until later so went out and did the four holes. Went out none the wiser, shot the lights out and won only to find out someone had seen me playing the course. Rightly DQ'd and a lesson harshly learned.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Haha, you're pretty unlucky if you end up playing with a tosser like that I'd say. Most people would do the decent thing and advise you of any rule breaks before the occur so you know. And don't be afraid to ask fellow members on any rules you're not sure of before you proceed with something, it's the only way to learn.

At my club most of the comps are play with your own groups and times, such as the monthly medals & Stablefords, but the bigger comps, ones that only take place once a year, they are more likely to be drawn groups and club times.
When an absolute beginner I was told to put my ball on the tee and then, unless I knew exactly within the rules what I was doing and why, not touch it again until I was picking it out of the hole. If I was unsure what I could do in any situation I found myself, I simply had to ask a playing companion for advice on a ruling or procedure.

The fact is that you will soon know exactly what to do under the rules in the majority of common situations.

Tip - I always tee up at least a foot behind the tee markers...:)

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
It's a very good idea to get a general gist of the rules before entering comps. I've not read the book LincolnShep mentioned, but it sounds like a useful guide if it highlights the most common situations. Don't worry about being an expert, if you read this forum you'll see that golfers of all experiences still look for answers to particular situations. You'll also find these sorts of things being discussed in the club house after when something happens to highlight a particular issue. You'll find you'll naturally pick up a lot when playing with other people in comps, but I do agree, always confirm the rule at some point afterwards rather than blindly accepting it (even if it is quietly asking someone else at club after, or looking through the rule book at home).

The reason you may want to at least know a few of the basics, is you don't want to be the next guy. I was playing a doubles match against 2 guys who entered knock outs, but never entered any other competition. They only ever played together, so didn't have the benefit to pick any knowledge up from anyone else. The next 3 things happened in the same match, by the same player:

• we were looking for my ball in the rubbish left of the fairway. After a while, he approached me with a ball in his hand, and said "Is this it?". I said yes, but why is it in his hand?
  • he knocked a putt to about 6 feet, and then marked it while others played their turn. While everyone else played their shots, he went to the corner of the green and started hitting little practice putts until it was his turn to play again.
  • we couldn't agree what he scored on the 12th. I was sure it was a 7, he said a 6. As we went through each shot, it turned out he didn't count his air shot under the tree, because he didn't think it counted if he didn't hit it.
It was definitely an interesting round

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
  • we were looking for my ball in the rubbish left of the fairway. After a while, he approached me with a ball in his hand, and said "Is this it?". I said yes, but why is it in his hand?
I'm really interested in how you proceeded after this as I don't know what the correct procedure is? Do they just lose the hole because he picked up an opponent's ball without permission?

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm really interested in how you proceeded after this as I don't know what the correct procedure is? Do they just lose the hole because he picked up an opponent's ball without permission?
I believe the correct ruling is for him to replace my ball, and he gets a 1 stroke penalty (9.5b).

In the match, we never penalised him, I just got him to replace my ball. He put my ball right up against a tree, a point in which, as a right-hander, I had no swing or shot out of the rough. I just had to accept that is where he honestly found it.

Interestingly, had he been completely out of the hole (can't remember if he was), a 1 shot penalty wouldn't hurt him anyway. Could it be a cunning ploy for him to do this to give his partner a better chance of winning the hole? I'm thinking Patrick Reed might give this consideration for the next Ryder Cup :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe the correct ruling is for him to replace my ball, and he gets a 1 stroke penalty (9.5b).

In the match, we never penalised him, I just got him to replace my ball. He put my ball right up against a tree, a point in which, as a right-hander, I had no swing or shot out of the rough. I just had to accept that is where he honestly found it.

Interestingly, had he been completely out of the hole (can't remember if he was), a 1 shot penalty wouldn't hurt him anyway. Could it be a cunning ploy for him to do this to give his partner a better chance of winning the hole? I'm thinking Patrick Reed might give this consideration for the next Ryder Cup :)
I'd have thought picking your opponent's ball up would be tantamount to conceding the hole - like if you pick up their marker on the green for example. Maybe would be a touch harsh for an honest mistake, I'm guessing he 'assumed' you'd be taking a drop as he found it in an unplayable position.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tip - I always tee up at least a foot behind the tee markers...:)

Another vote on that one. You are allowed two club lengths back from the markers and is the loss of a yard really going to make that much difference.

I often go back to the middle or back of the teeing area because the area immediately between the tee markers is well worn, particularly at this time of the year, and the area I tee from has hardly been used.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another vote on that one. You are allowed two club lengths back from the markers and is the loss of a yard really going to make that much difference.

I often go back to the middle or back of the teeing area because the area immediately between the tee markers is well worn, particularly at this time of the year, and the area I tee from has hardly been used.
Yeah, tee boxes are scrappy and muddy at this time of year, and it's amazing how many people still tee up right on the line as far forward as possible like every cm counts.

Diamond

Visit site
Yeah, tee boxes are scrappy and muddy at this time of year, and it's amazing how many people still tee up right on the line as far forward as possible like every cm counts.
I am a beginner and I tend to tee up a yard behind, the grass is in better condition and I want to get in the habit of teeing up bhind the markers for when i play competitions.

In terms of lost balls I play a provisional off the tee (6 months in I tend to find original anyway) but me and a friend play a penalty and dropped ball if it is 2nd or 3rd shot. I understand that in a comp I would have to walk back and under new ruling it is 2 penalties not 1.

I think I must be getting better because I lost 2 balls on Sunday (18 holes) and found 3 so my ball collection is going up now when i play! I just feel sorry for anyone finding my Top Flyte or Pink Lady when I am finding Srixon and Titliest!

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I would suggest when you start to enter competitions to start with stableford ones. If anything happens like not finding your ball or falling foul of some rule just pick your ball up and move onto the next hole.

Diamond

Visit site
I am surprised how many courses still have the regular teeing areas even when they have the winter tees nearby.