Rules in club comps

Diamond

Visit site
I am new to the sport and will join a club soon. When talking to friends they say that some people are like the mafia when it come to the rules of golf. They wait for you to tee off then loudly declare you were half an inch in front of the tee marker and penalise you for it.
This to me does not sound right. Surely even in a board comp you would say to a playing partner that they were teeing off a few inches further than the marker...or is golf really that cut throat.

On a similar theme do people get to play a board comp in a foursome with at least someone they know (a friend) or is it drawn randomly?

I ask because I can’t break 56 yet over 9 holes but I have set myself goals and intend to play comps, board comps and opens this year and I need to know what normal competitive competition will entail.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are some folk who will act the t**t during comps, and do things like you suggest. But most folk will do the right thing and give you the heads up if you are about to breach a rule.

As to groupings, that varies from club to club. Some will do random draws whilst others have "sign up" where you get to make up your own groups.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha, you're pretty unlucky if you end up playing with a tosser like that I'd say. Most people would do the decent thing and advise you of any rule breaks before the occur so you know. And don't be afraid to ask fellow members on any rules you're not sure of before you proceed with something, it's the only way to learn.

At my club most of the comps are play with your own groups and times, such as the monthly medals & Stablefords, but the bigger comps, ones that only take place once a year, they are more likely to be drawn groups and club times.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some idiots around and robinthehood spot on that many of the "infringements" are erroneous in their application at best or completely fictitious in the worse case. My advice is to keep a copy of the rule book in your bag and if you get into a situation ask the guy to show it to you in the book. Most guys are spot on and will advise you and usually have a general chat about the rules over a beer if you have any questions. Ask at your club when you join whether you are drawn and how you enter (pro shop or online)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The first club I joined was a local muni and I was in my first comp. it was a place where there was alway a queue on the first tee. We were about 3 groups in the queue and they club captain was in the group in front (no intros). Then a guy walks up and joins his group to which the captain announced he was awarding him a 2 shot penalty for being late for his tee. The poor guy went mental as there was still a good 10 before they could even stand on the tee So he stormed off. I never played another comp there and left at the end of the year.

Its the one an only time I’ve ever witnessed it. I’ve met in club matchplay comps which get ultra competitive and if I’ve infringed the rules the guys would let it slide or at worst ask me to retake my shot rather than lose the hole.

My advice would be to tell the guys to keep you right with the rules so they feel comfortable telling you but you’ll find even if they notice something late, they’ll be as lenient as possible. once you’ve played in a few different groups, you’ll find you slot and make some good mates.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would just like to point out that all the above behaviours can be seen in non club, non club competition, games as well as in all other sports and pastimes - ie they are human traits rather than golfing ones.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most players with any sense will tell you you are about to break a rule before you do it rather than after you have done it. The trouble is a lot of players believe they are breaking the advice rule if they do it.

The majority of players do not even know the full rules in the first place and only a few are likely to pick you up on small infringements of the most well known rules.

Best advice is to get to know the rules for yourself (the new book is very easy to read) rather than let others tell you them you will be amazed at how many times you will get told out of date rules.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd make sure before you join a club that the members there are positive and supportive to new members. A friendly and supportive membership makes all the difference to your experience.

sunshine

Visit site
Some idiots around and robinthehood spot on that many of the "infringements" are erroneous in their application at best or completely fictitious in the worse case. My advice is to keep a copy of the rule book in your bag and if you get into a situation ask the guy to show it to you in the book. Most guys are spot on and will advise you and usually have a general chat about the rules over a beer if you have any questions. Ask at your club when you join whether you are drawn and how you enter (pro shop or online)

Or download the R&A rules app on your phone. It's surprisingly user friendly.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I am new to the sport and will join a club soon. When talking to friends they say that some people are like the mafia when it come to the rules of golf. They wait for you to tee off then loudly declare you were half an inch in front of the tee marker and penalise you for it.
This to me does not sound right. Surely even in a board comp you would say to a playing partner that they were teeing off a few inches further than the marker...or is golf really that cut throat.

On a similar theme do people get to play a board comp in a foursome with at least someone they know (a friend) or is it drawn randomly?

I ask because I can’t break 56 yet over 9 holes but I have set myself goals and intend to play comps, board comps and opens this year and I need to know what normal competitive competition will entail.

In terms of the rules, some people do act like that. I'd like to think most people would be sensible enough and make sure to point out something like that to someone that was new to golf.

However, you can genuinely pick things up fairly quickly - especially if you make an effort to learn.

In terms of playing with people... some clubs will do random draws, where you play with different people each comp. Others will allow people to select their own times and people tend to engineer situations where they play with their mates. But at the vast majority of clubs there will be singles putting their names down to play with people they don't know or others who don't care and just simply select the time that suits them.

In terms of being worried about your standard of play. I'd like to think most people wouldn't worry too much. Best advice to give you is try not to take too much time and no one will much care what you score. If I saw someone taking 45 seconds to line up a 7 foot putt for a triple bogey, then I might get a bit annoyed, but I'd certainly suffer it for one round and be polite enough. And if I was playing with the same person again, I might politely mention pace of play a few times to try and put it on their agenda.

Swango1980

Visit site

I've been playing nearly every comp for 15 years, and this has only happened once. In club champs, 17th hole day 2, one of the guys in contention teed up a little ahead of the marker. His playing opponent, also in contention, noticed this, pointed it out to a third guy before he played the shot, and then once he hit it said he had to hit 3 off the tee. To be fair, the guy did hit 3 off the tee without getting too irate (although he was only about 16-17 years old). But, the guy that called the rule was highly criticised by all in the club house afterwards, basically being told that the right thing to do would have been to point it out before he played the shot. He had plenty of time to do so. Usually, when people fall foul of this rule, is that it is only noticed afterwards, where they accidentally teed off the yellows instead off whites.

In terms of how groups are formed, completely depends on the club you are at. For example, at our club, for regular stablefords you generally play in the slot you signed in on. For medals and board comps it is a completely random draw. For the Club Champs, it is handicap order (lowest first) in Day 1, and then gross score order (highest first) in Day 2.

A previous club always did it in handicap order, I guess so that similar level golfers always played together. I hated that, I generally always played with the same guys. Nice guys, but I never got to meet others at the club or play with golfers with all sorts of abilities. I'd imagine it would be horrific if a very unpleasant player had a similar handicap to yours, or you had a high handicap and always had to go out last. Another club I know of always put players out in the groups they signed up in. So, you'd have the same 3-4 guys play in the same group in competitions for decades. Not great if they become accustomed to their own spin on the rules that may not be consistent with others.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have bought a quick reference rule book off Ebay for £3.50 delivered.
Hope it's for the current rules!

The R&A rules book is free, has many guidance versions and an App....yet to see a third party quick reference that hasn't got either an error or important missing info (even the players version of the rules by the R&A Is missing really importantnanswers).
USGA sets some out better for a quick overview, inc pictures ?, again all free.

But good to show an interest ?

sunshine

Visit site

The R&A rules book is free, has many guidance versions and an App....yet to see a third party quick reference that hasn't got either an error or important missing info (even the players version of the rules by the R&A Is missing really importantnanswers).

Just spell it out, he's bought something off ebay that is available for free at every golf course ;). Like the mythological rule enforcer, there is always somebody somewhere looking to take the p.

Not to worry, it's only £3.50...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you are not a member of a club............

The book may be free but the R&A now charge £4.95 p&p

Diamond

Visit site
It
ts

I've been playing nearly every comp for 15 years, and this has only happened once. In club champs, 17th hole day 2, one of the guys in contention teed up a little ahead of the marker. His playing opponent, also in contention, noticed this, pointed it out to a third guy before he played the shot, and then once he hit it said he had to hit 3 off the tee. To be fair, the guy did hit 3 off the tee without getting too irate (although he was only about 16-17 years old). But, the guy that called the rule was highly criticised by all in the club house afterwards, basically being told that the right thing to do would have been to point it out before he played the shot. He had plenty of time to do so. Usually, when people fall foul of this rule, is that it is only noticed afterwards, where they accidentally teed off the yellows instead off whites.

In terms of how groups are formed, completely depends on the club you are at. For example, at our club, for regular stablefords you generally play in the slot you signed in on. For medals and board comps it is a completely random draw. For the Club Champs, it is handicap order (lowest first) in Day 1, and then gross score order (highest first) in Day 2.

A previous club always did it in handicap order, I guess so that similar level golfers always played together. I hated that, I generally always played with the same guys. Nice guys, but I never got to meet others at the club or play with golfers with all sorts of abilities. I'd imagine it would be horrific if a very unpleasant player had a similar handicap to yours, or you had a high handicap and always had to go out last. Another club I know of always put players out in the groups they signed up in. So, you'd have the same 3-4 guys play in the same group in competitions for decades. Not great if they become accustomed to their own spin on the rules that may not be consistent with others.
2019 version

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst the R&A book is free for club members, and a big improvement on the previous edition, it's nowhere near as easy to use as this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/3906852156/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_unFjEbED6HES3

Might seem extravagant to some to pay for a book when you can get one for free but I find it very useful. It's not a complete rule book but complements the official book and covers all the most common situations.