Rule re Hitting Bell post

Foreplay

Medal Winner
Visit site
You know the fairway bells that you ring to let players behind know the fairway is clear, well I hit a shot from about 150 yards away from one which hit the top of the bell post and rebounded back about 75 yards. Is this just bad luck and the ball should be played from where it lies or is there some kind of ruling regarding this sort of thing?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You know the fairway bells that you ring to let players behind know the fairway is clear, well I hit a shot from about 150 yards away from one which hit the top of the bell post and rebounded back about 75 yards. Is this just bad luck and the ball should be played from where it lies or is there some kind of ruling regarding this sort of thing?

Bummer, could have bounded forward on another day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Tough break but nothing in the rules to help. Did you hit the post or did you make it ring?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rub of the Green. I've hit a centre of fairway marker post with a perfect (ish) straight drive and bounced out of bounds.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember playing this hole at Clober GC that was up a steep hill off the tee to a blind hogs back fairway.

There was a marker post at the top of the hill. I hit a poor drive and came up short of it, but with maybe less than 150 to the green. The post was right on my line.

The old adage came into my head. Aim straight for the post as you will never be good enough to hit it. Sure enough I did just that and missed by a good 12 or 18 inches.

The guy I was playing with couldn't believe it and basically shouted 'are you off your nut?' fearing he would have been right in line if middled the post.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I once nailed the stone cairn on the original 9th hole at Turnberry and it rebounded into the ocean. Only after the round I found out there was a local rule and I could have replayed the shot.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I once nailed the stone cairn on the original 9th hole at Turnberry and it rebounded into the ocean. Only after the round I found out there was a local rule and I could have replayed the shot.
The LR would not have been approved by the R&A so it was a non qualifier anyway