Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes as has been said a very entertaining game.
The good start won us the game.
Got battered up front,scrummed off the park,and gave more penalties away for infringements.
A wins a win though.
Oh and couldn’t win our own line out when it mattered.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes as has been said a very entertaining game.
The good start won us the game.
Got battered up front,scrummed off the park,and gave more penalties away for infringements.
A wins a win though.
Oh and couldn’t win our own line out when it mattered.
As a Tigers fan I am still not sure why Dolly was in the squad. A championship player with 3 decent Tigers performances under his belt. Genge getting covid did not help

HeftyHacker

Visit site
As a Tigers fan I am still not sure why Dolly was in the squad. A championship player with 3 decent Tigers performances under his belt. Genge getting covid did not help

It was apparently something to do with access to certain players due to Covid restrictions. Hence the somewhat bizarre callups for injury replacements through the AIs.

Great match if not always the highest quality. Brilliantly taken tries that were a minor miracle given the lack of platform we had. I think the Smith and Slade axis gives us a tonne of creativity in the backs and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had tuilagi stayed on given he's the most reliable line breaker in the squad.

Steward the find of the series for me though, phenomenal player who looks to the Manor born in the role of a modern fullback.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was apparently something to do with access to certain players due to Covid restrictions. Hence the somewhat bizarre callups for injury replacements through the AIs.

Great match if not always the highest quality. Brilliantly taken tries that were a minor miracle given the lack of platform we had. I think the Smith and Slade axis gives us a tonne of creativity in the backs and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had tuilagi stayed on given he's the most reliable line breaker in the squad.

Steward the find of the series for me though, phenomenal player who looks to the Manor born in the role of a modern fullback.

Steward has been superb since he first pulled on a Tigers shirt. Has a long international career ahead. Smith and Slade looked great but the only issue is if Jones tries to shoehorn Farrell in. Manu is a busted flush now, just not reliable physically to he able to build a back line with him in.

Grizzly

Visit site
What I think has been missed about the performance today is, that is exactly the type of situation in which England have lost in the past five years. They achieved parity in the pack in the first half but the Bokke brought something else in the second half, and had clearly "won" the referee, but where farrell/Ford England would have kept on with the same old, this version worked out a way.

Some of Eddie's selections make no sense but fair play to him, he has reinvented the attack.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really like the France kit. It's got the feel of an "Escape to Victory" away kit worn back to front.

_119488322_ryn304.jpg

D

Deleted member 15344

Great game between Bristol and Leicester

Ref was involved a bit too much and gave a few questionable decisions- and not sure why the accidental offside was ignored during the winning try phase

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great game between Bristol and Leicester

Ref was involved a bit too much and gave a few questionable decisions- and not sure why the accidental offside was ignored during the winning try phase

Still a great result in the Genge derby. One back for Lam's sub antics last year

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit of a thread resurrection but better than starting a new one.

Turmoil in Premiership rugby right now, Worcester have effectively been wound up, players contracts terminated. They are likely to be relegated, unlikely to play again this season. At the same time Wasps are close to going into administration, possibly as a protective measure but it is never good still.

Is this all feeding through from no crowds during Covid or are teams just paying too much out in wages?

Worrying times for club rugby.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Bit of a thread resurrection but better than starting a new one.

Turmoil in Premiership rugby right now, Worcester have effectively been wound up, players contracts terminated. They are likely to be relegated, unlikely to play again this season. At the same time Wasps are close to going into administration, possibly as a protective measure but it is never good still.

Is this all feeding through from no crowds during Covid or are teams just paying too much out in wages?

Worrying times for club rugby.

Worcester is a mess, I've got friends who are/ were employed there in various capacities - its a shambles. God knows what happens to the facilities etc, a whole mess of dodgy dealings from the owners.

On top of this - I heard a lot on the radio this morning about research into head injuries and brain issues later in life for Rugby players - insanely worrying stuff, to the point that really, Rugby needs seriously looking at.

I'm not the biggest fan of the sport myself, certainly wouldn't look to get my son into it over Golf or Football - but his grandpa was a STH at Worcester Warriors and to see the club fall apart is awful.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a massive rugby fan and you have a whole mess of stories going on here.

Worcester: Cowboy owners, looks like they have been assest stripped and left to rot. Not good at all.

Wasps: Relocated to Coventry and took out a massive bond on the Stadium. Covid has impacted on other facilities there but they are skint.

Rugby overall. About half the league attract viable crowds, the other half rely on investment or shrewd management to survive. Basic fact is that rugby has not kicked on as a spectator sport and half the teams have attendances that just cannot support current wage demands. Rugby players are not paid anywhere near football wages but the clubs still cannot afford the £500000.00 a year that some players demand. Needs to be a total re-evaluation of what clubs can pay. The TV money is not there and media coverage and air time is so skewed towards permiership football that no other sport stands a chance away from international level.

Medical Issues. With impact issues and the general dangerous nature of the sport, parents, clubs are schools simply do not want to take the risk of playing.

All sorts of issues and the moment and I started a thread a whilst ago about whether the end for rugby as a sport could be in sight. I am still not convinced it is not.

Grizzly

Visit site
I think with Worcester the issue is not the viability of the club as it was, but of the club as it is now the owners have asset stripped it. Its sad to see, and ought to be illegal.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Worcester is a mess, I've got friends who are/ were employed there in various capacities - its a shambles. God knows what happens to the facilities etc, a whole mess of dodgy dealings from the owners.
Having lost their home, I have never got to know why Worcester City FC turned down a move to share the stadium. They still have quite a big support for non-league.
On top of this - I heard a lot on the radio this morning about research into head injuries and brain issues later in life for Rugby players - insanely worrying stuff, to the point that really, Rugby needs seriously looking at.
Rugby players 15 times more likely to develop neurological brain disease.
I'm not the biggest fan of the sport myself, certainly wouldn't look to get my son into it over Golf or Football - but his grandpa was a STH at Worcester Warriors and to see the club fall apart is awful.
Neither am I but they do have a fantastic stadium which can be seen from the M5. £6 million unpaid tax bill.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Wasps: Relocated to Coventry and took out a massive bond on the Stadium. Covid has impacted on other facilities there but they are skint.
They even opened an elite training centre miles away at Henley in Arden, Warwickshire which is now deserted.