Royal St Georges - Tuesday 28th February 2017

D

Deleted member 21258

After a couple of very tough weeks personally, with my Dadpassing away last week, was not really in the right frame of mind for golf tbh.

However managed to get myself there, with my guest Paul and played with Fish and Paperboy. What three brilliant people to have a round of golf with, really enjoyed the company and thanks to all three for a greatday.:thup:

Thank goodness we had Fish, top guy, who had played the course before, as there were a number of blind shots, which meant on one occasion I played a great iron shot towards a green,only to find all my playing partners were walking to a different green, cost me a blob:mad::rofl:

The course, clubhouse and setting was brilliant and the greens rolled so smoothly, love it all. Thought this would be a once only trip to RSG but may well look to go again in the future. The food was great and the banana toffee pie to finish with was the topping on the day. No one aspect was I disappointed with.

Managed to play okay and won third prize with 33 points(19 front nine, 14 back nine), going to take the family ten pin bowling with the winnings.

A big thanks to Wookie for organising the day and letting me attend, thank you.

Once again would like to say thank you for Robin, Simon and Paul for the great relaxing company all day.:cheers:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Well I opened the curtains and could see a calm sea, at last, 1 of the organisers had got it right, and more importantly, with no disrespect to Littlestone or RCP, if you want 1 day out of the 3 to be the better drier day it has to be on Royal St George's day, well done Simon (Wookie) :clap:

A quick breakfast due to an earlier tee time and a quick drive to RSG, again the barriers weren't down on the Toll so it was head down and straight through them both :smirk:

As soon as you arrive at RSG it just oozes class, I put my things in the changing room and went through to meet some old faces and again some new forumites on their first meet and some just on their first day of the 3 day meet on the Kent coast.

I was paired up with Darren Williams and his guest Paul along with Simon (Paperboy), again some new blood to play with, being Darren, but I had seen him at Woburn and Cooden.

We met up on the practice putting ground and headed for the 1st tee.

21.jpg

22.jpg

19.jpg

Simon was apprehensive with only his first round in 5 months the day before but he nailed his first drive, in fact we all drove really well and for the first time in the 3 days I fired mine up the middle of the fairway.

Playing with 3 people who hadn't played RSG before had me advising the best line off the tee and describing the hole a little, I had bought a new strokesaver and I was remembering the holes as I reached them from the year before.

My front 9 was very indifferent, I started well off the tee and then started cutting everything, the first big slice coming on the elevated 5th tee, the worse place to go right into the hilly grass, apparently a few groups heard me tell myself off :eek: but we found my ball and I thought I'd scrambled 2 points but it was only a par 5 in the bogey column, stupid card!!

I was scrambling for my life and although I thought my game was poor I was actually scoring well, again due to my putting and reading the pace and line of the greens. Just the 2 par's as I stood on the 9th with 16 points but just like last year I blobbed that bloody hole :angry: Darren turned with an impressive 19 points and I just knew that bloody 9th was going to cost me!

I had a quiet word with myself as we walked to the 10th, settled myself and struck a decent drive up the fairway, another 4w up the hill to the front of the green ensured a par and I thought I could turn this card around. A series of nett pars followed but I was still struggling badly off the tee and I found myself fighting the driver all the way around, no baby draws on show today, what a difference a day can make, but why?

Simon had to retire injured just after the turn, he attempted to play another hole but was in too much discomfort and the right decision to walk the rest of the round was the right one. To be fair he was striking the ball really well on the front and then his body gave up :(

Paul was great fun, I've never seen anyone find so many bunkers, the greenkeepers can have a day off on Wednesday morning :rofl:

Blobs on 14 & 16 killed what I had worked hard to scramble back, I then thought I was playing the 17th as a par 5 but that was in the bogey column, it was really only a par 4, I'd done this earlier so should have know better :confused:

Daren decided to go for the wrong green with his second shot on the 15th I think, you can see the 12th & 15th flags in the distance and it wasn't obvious which to go for, Paul warned me just as I was about to do the same but Darren had already pulled the trigger :eek:

I don't think I was on the fairway on the 18th but I came off with a par, my drive went right as it had been for 70% of the round, a wild 4w put me further to the right nearly taking out a walker with his dogs, but a great wedge into the green and my hot putter drained the single putt for 3 points :whoo:

Fairways are so overrated :smirk:

31 points in what was a constant battle with my driver, it could have been so much better if I'd have driven like the last 2 days :confused:

Great showers in the changing room and then all dolled up for the anticipated RSG meal.

The seafood starter is always amazing..

8.jpg

After a grueling round I needed a decent starter :eek:

13.jpg

The carvery has a great choice of quality meats and a pie and something for the veggies along with excellent veg & roasties.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

I didn't want to go overboard with such a long drive home, a full belly makes me tired and after 3 days of golf I was pretty much flagged out as it was.

2.jpg

The sweets were all laid out just in front of my table.

5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I went for the Lemon Cheesecake.

6.jpg

A quality golf course with a quality clubhouse with excellent food and service, and my beer in a pewter tankard :cheers:

7.jpg

What's not to like..

Thanks to my playing partners Darren who came in 3rd with 33 points, Paul & Simon along with Wookie for another well organised meet :thup:

Congratulations also to Charlie (Hooker) on winning the accumulative over the 3-days beating me back to 2nd, his 36-32-32 against my 28-35-31 was some great consistent shooting over the 3-days, I think we need to run our own handicap book :whistle:

Have we got the dates for next year yet :D

Fish

Banned
Visit site
As the RSG thread seems the most popular, I'm putting this 'Name & Shame' picture on here :cool:

This individual was spotted on the practice putting green with alignment sticks on a forum meet :eek: whilst the rest of were supping beer before going out :cheers:

The next thing we'll see is hundreds of discs around the place snigger.gif

7.jpg

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
As the RSG thread seems the most popular, I'm putting this 'Name & Shame' picture on here :cool:

This individual was spotted on the practice putting green with alignment sticks on a forum meet :eek: whilst the rest of were supping beer before going out :cheers:

The next thing we'll see is hundreds of discs around the place View attachment 22085

View attachment 22086

That has to be a fine.

I got told off for practicing my three putts.:(

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
What a couple of days in Kent! Travelled down on Monday morning bright-eyed & bushy tailed to be met with 10 mile traffic jam on M11 (I know, my fault for living in the middle of no-where). Eventually got to RCP 40 mins before my tee-time. After parking in a field I managed to get my clubs, shoes, etc. out of the boot just in time for the rain to begin. The clubhouse was fantastic & just exactly as you imagined a 'Royal' club should look like.

Royal Cinque Ports:
After layering-up with Galvin Green apparel I headed for the sanctuary of the Pro-Shop awning sheltering from 40mph+ wind & horizontal rain. My playing partners Chris3081, Mike Friend & Davemc where a pleasure to play with during the day. The rain even relented on the outward 7-8 holes allowing some decent scoring to be had & a couple of rare birdies (one of which on the 1st Par 5 netted me my first 'Spanish' for a while). All was to change as predicted as we stood on the 9th tee looking at Armageddon arriving fro the left behind the clubhouse. 20 minutes later the Galvin Greens were letting moisture & we'd lost all feeling in our hands. Even the sausage baps & tea in the Halfway Hut couldn't revive us & it was a struggle to keep going until the rain relented on 15th. Regardless the Craic was had & thoroughly enjoyed.

After our dinner the lovely Secretary overheard me talking about my sodden Galvin Greens, socks, hat, etc. & offered to put them in their industrial Tumble-dryer if I had time. Once dry (& after a couple of post dinner G&T's) she asked if I'd be back later in the year to use their half-price offer for Golf Society guests. I said definitely & hopefully will not be needing the use of her tumble-dryer in the summer. Already working on dates & venues for a return trip in the warmer months ahead.

Well done to Chris for all his hard work arranging the day & hope you enjoyed Rod Stewart later that evening. Some pics of the day https://youtu.be/fCL65L_cWc0

The evening in King's Head pub was on a Par with the day. Great company, good banter, decent food & getting very wet (this time from the inside via bar) :cheers: Thought it must be time to retire after noting Fish had departed to bed, before checking my watch to see it was only 9.30! Glad I stayed another hour so while we sorted out Brexit, Trump, Slow Pay, Aim Point & Membership Fees not to mention how we were going to get Hooker's Galvin Greens (I'm being sponsored) back from RCP.

Royal St. George's:
Awoke to blue(ish) skies, a millpond on the North Sea & the smell of bacon & eggs in the pub. Breakfast was superb & they catered for us in great manner knowing we were off to play golf at RSG.

Without wishing to repeat the theme, we were made to park in a field again for some strange reason. However this time there was no rain & barely a zephyr of wind to be had transferring our gear to the sumptuous & welcoming changing room. All the old scorecards, prints & stories on the walls really whetted the taste buds for the challenge ahead.

After meeting my playing partners mervswerve, backwoodsman & lee Nixon on the 1st we were lucky enough to have a conversation with the head green-keeper who seemed genuinely interested in our outing & explained a little of what him & his staff were trying to do to the course & greens. It gave us a great insight as to the conditioning of the course as we attempted to play it during our round. The banter was good all the way round & it's worth noting that Lee plays like a Cat 1 golfer 30% of the time with some ridiculous recovery & approach shots. It was a pleasure to watch. Found out Merv's club Newark was twinned with my new club Gog Magog so we shall be sorting a home & away fixture very soon.

As for the course. Some of the topography & dunes on the way out were a natural reminder of the trip to Trump last year, absolutely stunning. Despite some of the blind shots required the course was surprisingly playable, albeit off the yellow/forward tees. Looking back at the Championship tees off some of the holes, especially the 4th just shows you how good these top players are to negotiate it in under par 70 over 7,200 yards long.
The conditioning was exceptional for the time of year & the greens were a thing of beauty wrapped up in devil's clothing. They were quicker than they appeared & very subtle in design with hogbacks everywhere, hence my 39 putts! :eek:

I'd have to rate it just behind Carnoustie in my order of merit & it's great to think The Open will be back here in 2020 after having seen Darren Clarke raise the Claret Jug here only 6 years ago. With that in mind I thought the Stroke-Saver was a font of knowledge & made the paying of the holes very enjoyable knowing where to go & what had happened in various Open or Amateur Championships down the years.

Again a big thank you to Wookie for arranging the day & the weather along with Chris & his Lenovo laptop for getting all the scores collated in good fashion. The 3-course Carvery was a thing of beauty in a wonderful setting. A montage of the day can be see by clicking the link https://youtu.be/yCVP_E1Y0TE
Congratulations to Hooker (who I had a good chat with on Mon evening) on your fine shooting. Great darts mate. Hope the prize-money goes towards a new pair of Galvin Green trousers (sponsors commitment sorted) ;)

To those of you who endured Littlestone on Sunday my thoughts go out to you & well done for coming back for some more afterwards at RCP & RSG.

Look forward to meeting up with Forum friends old & new throughout the coming year. Happy golfing...:swing:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Another great couple of days golf in Kent. Big thanks to the old boy for sorting out RCP which is always a pleasure to play. Definitely up for a return in the summer if you guarantee better weather Chris. Hard to be worse.:eek:

Another big thanks to Simon for sorting out RSG and getting the weather right. Big :thup: for putting us out first so we got millionaires golf. Didn't see the group behind after the 6th. Were they very slow ?:whistle:

Finally thanks to Mike for doing all the scoring. Apologies for not handing in a card at RCP, but after trying to complete two cards that turned to mush, I gave up. To be fair it wasn't hard keeping Another Doubles score on the back nine.:D Mike did get his own back by losing four of my points at RSG, and calling me Rupert. He also called Simon, Chris, so perhaps it was not personal, but an age thing.:whistle:

I did seem to get the rough end of the draw playing with known knobs. I exclude Mike from this group. :cheers: Chris, Paul, Phil, Paul, Simon, Mike really enjoyed your company. I knew Slasher would not mention my putting woes to anyone.:whistle: 44 putts round RSG, after hitting 10 greens in regulation.:eek:

Looking forward to the next one.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there's an echo in here - great day at RSG. Given it was only the end of Feb, couldn't really have asked for better course or conditions.

Thank you Mark, Merve & Lee for putting up with me for the duration. Couldn't help but smile a little as they recounted tales of RCP the day before - while all the time thinking "well at least I picked the right day". Nice to see that Mark captured the full glory of my trousers in his photo montage.

I enjoyed it more than last year - having familiarity with the layout & knowing where to play makes all the difference. And was good that, unlike last year, practically all the bunkers were in play And believe me, I played in most of them. (IIRC, last year, nearly all the front 9 bunkers were GUR?).

Great day, great company - and thanks to all who contributed to organising the day - esp Simon.

Anyone taking bookings for next year yet?

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Enjoyed your company for the first 8 holes (downwind) before we went our separate ways off the tee :fore: Catch up with you later in the year at Tandridge or if you're up near Cambridge you can play at mine :thup:
Thank you to everyone for making us feel so welcome on our first forum meet. Chrisd - thanks again for all the hard work.

You are a talented bunch of golfers, but more importantly a good friendly bunch who don't mind taking the piss where necessary.

The organisation was superb - it can't be easy but it does make for a fantastic experience for everyone who came. The courses were superb and even though the weather was horrific patience paid off with blue skies yesterday. Both are fantastic, but RSG is definitely in my top 3 of all time.

I'm interested if you go back to RCP later in the summer - just make sure the forecast is for no wind and blue skies. Likewise if anyone is looking to play Tandridge in Surrey in the summer just let me know and we can arrange a game as my guest.

Thanks for the laughs and the odd fantastic shot. See you at another meet soon.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Got to be honest, i am not sure i fancy RCP when the rough is up. My 17 odd points were hard fought when it was all cut down.

An interesting three days. All very different.

Littlestone was new to me. I tried to back over Oddsocks in the car park, but he was too nimble. Not something he will hear often. As he pointed out, i reverse way faster than i drive forwards.

Lovely golf course, especially the last three holes. Very pretty par 3 17th. It helps that i got a par though. Note to fish, no driver required.
Thanks to BiM for organising, and Paul, Mike, and Lee for the company. Lee, nice hat.

Kings head. Hmm. Paperboy kicked the proverbial out if it. Me, may be. Note to self, 5 percent lager is not session beer. Curry was good, thanks to the curry crew, a good night out.

RCP for breakfast. Should have stayed there. 18 holes of horrific weather. A tumble on the second, coating me in mud, and twisting my gimpy ankle. Took 7 holes minimum before i could get the ball off the deck. Sorry Rupert. At the turn we were 15 points combined to Fish and Ash's 45 odd. No wonder we lost.

But... we are made of pretty sterling stuff. As we turned into the wet stuff, we found some form, and the nastier it got, the more they crumbled. We won the back nine, to reduce the losses to a solitary nugget. A moral victory as far as i am concerned.

Good points, my Galvins, whilst muddy, were awesome. Bad points, i am rubbish at playing golf in them, and they now neec washing.

Thanks to ChrisD for organising, and thanks to my partners for putting up with me being grumpy. Oh, and Fish thought i would bail, no chance. I bunged a wedge, but being old, and experienced in these matters, i bunged it up, so i didn't have far to go and get it. Ash, on the other hand, had to go and find his 5 wood.

Oh, and thanks to Blundel for getting some height on his shank, or we would all be dead. Well, possibly. It would have been touch and go at the very least.

Kings Head. Usual crew. I had the full on gimp going, as my ankle was not good. Slasher was a mess. Fish bailed early. Hooker was on half rations, pacing himself. A good night in the pub once again.

R st Georges. An over night Lazarus moment, as my ankle has 90% fixed over night. Stunning day. Stunning course. Historic club house. Every thing you would want it to be. A fun round with Chris, Mike, and Steve. I love this place. Thanks to Wookie for organising.

Drive home. Meh.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not a lot that hasn't already been said about how good RSG is (especially when the sun brightens the course up). It just seems to get better each time we play it. They have already been in touch with next years date so stick 27th February in your diary if you are interested. Unfortunately despite my large hint in the bar to the assistant secretary there was no offer of half price golf during the summer!

Thanks again to Mike for sorting the scoring out and Chris for RCP. All in all another very enjoyable trip.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Given that Wookie has kindly offered to sort RSG for next year i guess it'd be worthwhile trying to order some better weather and see RCP all its glory, even just to be able to see it would be a bonus given how dark and gloomy it was this time.

I will confirm once I've spoken to them and checked the date!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It just seems to get better each time we play it.

They have already been in touch with next years date so stick 27th February in your diary if you are interested

I think we will start to notice even greater playing & visual improvements with the impending 2020 Open now in the Calendar. .

Date firmly placed in the calendar 👍🏌️⛳

D

Deleted member 17920

Simon,

Are you limited on numbers for RSG.

It would be nice to play RSG then Turnberrry a few weeks later.

2 open rota courses in a month. Quality.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
:rofl:
Got to be honest, i am not sure i fancy RCP when the rough is up. My 17 odd points were hard fought when it was all cut down.

An interesting three days. All very different.

Littlestone was new to me. I tried to back over Oddsocks in the car park, but he was too nimble. Not something he will hear often. As he pointed out, i reverse way faster than i drive forwards.

Lovely golf course, especially the last three holes. Very pretty par 3 17th. It helps that i got a par though. Note to fish, no driver required.
Thanks to BiM for organising, and Paul, Mike, and Lee for the company. Lee, nice hat.

Kings head. Hmm. Paperboy kicked the proverbial out if it. Me, may be. Note to self, 5 percent lager is not session beer. Curry was good, thanks to the curry crew, a good night out.

RCP for breakfast. Should have stayed there. 18 holes of horrific weather. A tumble on the second, coating me in mud, and twisting my gimpy ankle. Took 7 holes minimum before i could get the ball off the deck. Sorry Rupert. At the turn we were 15 points combined to Fish and Ash's 45 odd. No wonder we lost.

But... we are made of pretty sterling stuff. As we turned into the wet stuff, we found some form, and the nastier it got, the more they crumbled. We won the back nine, to reduce the losses to a solitary nugget. A moral victory as far as i am concerned.

Good points, my Galvins, whilst muddy, were awesome. Bad points, i am rubbish at playing golf in them, and they now neec washing.

Thanks to ChrisD for organising, and thanks to my partners for putting up with me being grumpy. Oh, and Fish thought i would bail, no chance. I bunged a wedge, but being old, and experienced in these matters, i bunged it up, so i didn't have far to go and get it. Ash, on the other hand, had to go and find his 5 wood.

Oh, and thanks to Blundel for getting some height on his shank, or we would all be dead. Well, possibly. It would have been touch and go at the very least.

Kings Head. Usual crew. I had the full on gimp going, as my ankle was not good. Slasher was a mess. Fish bailed early. Hooker was on half rations, pacing himself. A good night in the pub once again.

R st Georges. An over night Lazarus moment, as my ankle has 90% fixed over night. Stunning day. Stunning course. Historic club house. Every thing you would want it to be. A fun round with Chris, Mike, and Steve. I love this place. Thanks to Wookie for organising.

Drive home. Meh.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Conveniently free in Feb/March/April next year...bring it on! :thup:

Played this wonderful course last year with Mid-Am guys www.northforeland.co.uk Well worth a look.
Given that Wookie has kindly offered to sort RSG for next year i guess it'd be worthwhile trying to order some better weather and see RCP all its glory, even just to be able to see it would be a bonus given how dark and gloomy it was this time.

I will confirm once I've spoken to them and checked the date!