Royal North Devon Erosion

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
If you haven't seen a large part of Royal North Devon Golf Club got washed away during the January storm.

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/...9.1034707797.1517211430-1010774049.1516181094

Given that it is the oldest course in England and so must be one of the oldest in the world, after the Scottish courses. Does something need to be done, or is it just a losing battle and one we must accept that eventually RND will be lost.

It will cost £millions to reinforce the cliff faces, far too much for a club like RND to do themselves. Should Natural England step in to preserve a golf course or even the EGU or R&A. It would be a massive shame for such an historical club to disappear but it will take a lot of work and a lot of money to preserve it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both natural England and the national trust now have a policy of not interfering with nature.

Even if the council had the money I suspect they would struggle to get approval.

Mike07

Head Pro
Visit site
Its a tricky one this... is it right spending huge sums of money on saving a golf course, or should that be spent doing something more worthwhile in the area.

I guess the real question is, does the works needed help more than just the landfill site and the golf course. Is this needed for this stretch of coastline as a whole..?

From a non golfers point of view, you'd be pretty disappointed to see money spent on saving a golf course..!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Luckily for them they have hundreds more acres of land behind the 11th green and 12th tee to add in a few more flat featureless holes. :rolleyes:

I admit that I do not have much affection for RND but saying that, I do not want to see the course destroyed. The stretch from 5 - 8 is by far and away the best part of what I consider a very very overrated track.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember a lot of erosion on one of my old courses caused by the 1998 storm.
My first look at the damage was, 'wow, god is a golf architect'. He had actually improved a couple of holes :lol:

The members were up in arms demanding all sorts of expensive measures take place.
I stood my ground and 20 years on no further damage has happened.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have to let it happen I'm afraid. I know a little about this, no expert mind if one is one the forum, based on a previous club that had erosion issues plus knowing someone who did drone work for Durham University for the geography dept on coastal erosion. If you protect one area then you create a bigger problem further down the coast. The bounce of the sea multiplies and is far more destructive than if you let it erode the original spot that you are trying to protect. It may even, not sure about this so an expert may correct me here, cause more devastation at more spots than just the next one down the line. In effect, you protect A but cause more damage at B, C, D and E than would happen if you let nature affect A naturally.

Incidentally, my old course, which was eroding rapidly, was actually saved by the removal of protection further up the coast. The intention was not to protect the golf course, it was just the lucky by product of a decision to let nature take its course. The erosion that had been happening down the coastline quite severely, at the golf course, affecting sand dunes, beach houses etc, virtually stopped overnight once the protection at the pinch point up the coast had been removed.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes its sad but as others say thats life.
Its so wild down there at times nothing can stop nature taking its course.

Im with others the course is overated because of its history although its a nice place to play golf in good conditions.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I am by no means saying we should protect it because it is a golf course, but for historical reasons.

I am not a particular fan of the course, Saunton is far far better. But to lose England's oldest course would be a shame

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its a shame but up here the clubs themselves are responsible for any sea/erosion defenses.

Golspie had one green washed away a few years ago in a big spring tide. They had to raise money themselves to replace and improve what the had.

My own home course has had and some damage in the past, the 5th Tee once sat about 30 yards right (from the current) in the Moray firth.

Anyone that has played Nairn might have noticed a rock sea defense running from the club Car park to past the 7th green all paid for and Maintained by the club out of its own pocket.

don't have any full images of the structure, but the top pf it can be seen here to the right. In places its more than 20ft highIMG_0365.jpg.

without this we would have lost more of the course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am by no means saying we should protect it because it is a golf course, but for historical reasons.

I am not a particular fan of the course, Saunton is far far better. But to lose England's oldest course would be a shame

The point here though is what are the consequences of saving this course? What will be damaged further down the coast? Actions have consequences in this situation. Go back 20 yrs and instant reaction would be to drop boulders in front of the cliffs, wooden planks etc. Now we know they cause a negative impact elsewhere you have to tread more carefully.