South West England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Meeksy1

Visit site
Hi. We are planning a golf trip to South West England. We are definitely going to play St Enodoc, Saunton (East & West) and Burnham & Berrow. We are very much links course fans. Our other options are Royal North Devon, Trevose or Perranporth. Out of those three, which other course would be best to play?

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi. We are planning a golf trip to South West England. We are definitely going to play St Enodoc, Saunton (East & West) and Burnham & Berrow. We are very much links course fans. Our other options are Royal North Devon, Trevose or Perranporth. Out of those three, which other course would be best to play?

Perranporth or Trevose

With the improvements over the last couple of years I would say Trevose is a better course but Perranporth is more fun

Royal North Devon is very much a marmite course - some very good holes but also some very bland ones

D-S

Visit site
Perranporth or Trevose

With the improvements over the last couple of years I would say Trevose is a better course but Perranporth is more fun

Royal North Devon is very much a marmite course - some very good holes but also some very bland ones
Really agree with this. Perranporth is a bit bonkers but it is real golf in a natural setting, very much a golf club.
Trevose is better than it was but is a bit more designed and has more of a resort feel. Given the other courses you are playing I would go for Perranporth as it a genuinely different experience.
RND is for the real purists but the clubhouse is worth a visit to look at the memorabilia of such an old club.
I have played all that you are going to quite often and would be interested to hear how you compare them. Personally I think Saunton East is the pick, but you have some memorable golf with terrific holes to look forward to.

evemccc

Visit site
The South-West seems a real hot-bed for links

All those above I’d like to play but I wonder what the general opinions are about Newquay, Bude, and the other links courses in Cornwall? Is there a big gap in quality of hole strategy and conditioning, between these and those listed above?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The South-West seems a real hot-bed for links

All those above I’d like to play but I wonder what the general opinions are about Newquay, Bude, and the other links courses in Cornwall? Is there a big gap in quality of hole strategy and conditioning, between these and those listed above?

Yes, probably. But I still have a huge affection for Bude. Great Holiday golf, not too tough on a nice day, but plenty to keep you interested. Inexpensive (relatively too)

As for the original post, I’d say there are good reasons to play any of the three.

RND for the history , the quirkiness and atmosphere. Clubhouse is a veritable museum!
Perranporth, you may hate it the first time you see it, but I love it. Lots of blind shots, but some super holes and sea views.
Trevose has a great beginning and end, less exciting in places, but well worth playing.

Havent checked, but I bet Perranporth is the best value for money!

The last few holes on Saunton East are a real test. (Some work going on on 16th fairway at the Mo, but won’t impact play). Don’t overlook the West, much of that is just as good as it’s neighbour.

D-S

Visit site
Newquay and Bude are both a bit quirky but still good fun. Newquay is squeezed into a tiny parcel of land and some holes suffer because of it. Bude has a large bank that you have to play blind over a few times which detracts slightly from it as well as having a few holes surrounded by a few roads.
A lot of the other coastal courses can be described as more clifftop than links, although West Cornwall is linksy, it again is crammed into a tiny space.

Meeksy1

Visit site
Perranporth or Trevose

Thanks mate appreciate the reply 👍

Meeksy1

Visit site
Really agree with this. Perranporth is a bit bonkers but it is real golf in a natural setting, very much a golf club.
Trevose is better than it was but is a bit more designed and has more of a resort feel. Given the other courses you are playing I would go for Perranporth as it a genuinely different experience.
RND is for the real purists but the clubhouse is worth a visit to look at the memorabilia of such an old club.
I have played all that you are going to quite often and would be interested to hear how you compare them. Personally I think Saunton East is the pick, but you have some memorable golf with terrific holes to look forward to.
Thanks for the reply mate. I have played Saunton East & West a few years ago and loved them both. I’ll let you know what I think of them all once I’ve played them. Cheers 👍

Meeksy1

Visit site
Yes, probably. But I still have a huge affection for Bude. Great Holiday golf, not too tough on a nice day, but plenty to keep you interested. Inexpensive (relatively too)

As for the original post, I’d say there are good reasons to play any of the three.

RND for the history , the quirkiness and atmosphere. Clubhouse is a veritable museum!
Perranporth, you may hate it the first time you see it, but I love it. Lots of blind shots, but some super holes and sea views.
Trevose has a great beginning and end, less exciting in places, but well worth playing.

Havent checked, but I bet Perranporth is the best value for money!

The last few holes on Saunton East are a real test. (Some work going on on 16th fairway at the Mo, but won’t impact play). Don’t overlook the West, much of that is just as good as it’s neighbour.
Thanks mate. Appreciate your reply. Perranporth getting good press from you guys 👍

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Easter Challenge at Saunton yesterday in a hoolie! 36 hole scratch medal, one round on each course.

Some very low handicappers shot some very high scores. 9 over won it!

Sam Mendoza (formerly of this parish) came second on 10 over. He put a video of the conditions on his Facebook. Strewth, not sure how anyone broke 100

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Perranporth is great, but challenging with all of the blind shots. There are a lot of fun shots to be hit, especially if the wind blows.

I love it to play once a year, but I’m not sure I could play there every week.

sunshine

Visit site
Easter Challenge at Saunton yesterday in a hoolie! 36 hole scratch medal, one round on each course.

Sam Mendoza (formerly of this parish) came second on 10 over. He put a video of the conditions on his Facebook. Strewth, not sure how anyone broke 100
This is why you are only a country member. Don’t think I would enjoy getting battered every week 🤣

D

Deleted member 31467

Didn't realise it had changed, always used to be a handicap competition with a scratch prize.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A +4 guy from our club played in this. Have just looked at his score on WHS and there is only one score recorded, a 10 over on the west. PCC was 3. He must not have fancied the second round.

IJames

Visit site
Back to the OP's question, I'd go with several other recommendations and opt for Perranporth! Course to enjoy, or even love, for its quirkiness, whereas the others are classic 'serious tests'! Play it in the middle of the week to split the others, or at the end to have something to smile about after!