Golf Season 2024

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our club captain forwarded a message from the North Staffs Golf League stating that due to the weather the golf season for league games is to be extended to 31st October. So steps have already been taken to ensure all games can be completedšŸ‘

Springveldt

Visit site
Can't blame them, the rain has been horrific for months now.

Chucking it down today again, both the parklands course and the links course are shut today.

No idea when the season is going to start in the North East, probably mid May if the rain ever stops.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Our course is open, but not playable, in my opinion. But I got some fresh air and exercise yesterday.

We have had a tradition of comps starting in April and winding down in September.
We will need to change this to May to October I feel.
The difference in the course condition in October and April is huge.
Last 3 years does not appear to be a blip, I fear. Could be a lasting change.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Another issue of course is the temperatures are now getting well into the teens, so the grass is gonna be growing rapidly, with ground too wet to take machinery..
I think itā€™ll realistically be late May, even June, before we see many courses in presentable competition condition.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course is open, but not playable, in my opinion. But I got some fresh air and exercise yesterday.

We have had a tradition of comps starting in April and winding down in September.
For the last several years that I can remember, October has still been perfect golfing conditions, and November has been mild too. Even December is often better than the February and March we've just had.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another issue of course is the temperatures are now getting well into the teens, so the grass is gonna be growing rapidly, with ground too wet to take machinery..
I think itā€™ll realistically be late May, even June, before we see many courses in presentable competition condition.
This...we're fortunate that even during the wettest times we've been able to get mowers on the course.
The Parkland courses around here have probably not been able to cut once yet....

Springveldt

Visit site
Is the nice water feature at your new place still there? šŸ¤£
Aye, it was getting smaller as well but the rain on Monday, yesterday and today may have increased it again. I asked a few long time members in the clubhouse about it and they said that anytime in the past that it happened the golf club could ask the fire brigade to pump it clear and it would cost Ā£250. Now they want Ā£2500 to do it, so the club try and clear it themselves with a portable generator but the rain this year means they haven't been able to clear it.

Luckily it's in a place that doesn't really effect play that much and adds a nice water feature to a few holes. :)

Springveldt

Visit site

One of my reasons for joining the local links course. If winters do stay mild and wet then the parkland courses don't really stand a chance of staying open and you are effectively paying for a 9 month membership at best. My parkland course (well not a member now as the new season started on Monday) must have been shut for around 100 days in total last season and hasn't had 18 main greens on since mid October last year.

Their idea of a temporary green is to just draw a white circle in the fairway 30 yards short of the green and stick a normal sized hole in it. I think they really need to give some thought on how to have better temp greens if this weather continues.

Zig

Visit site
Can't blame them, the rain has been horrific for months now.

Chucking it down today again, both the parklands course and the links course are shut today.

No idea when the season is going to start in the North East, probably mid May if the rain ever stops.
Played yesterday in our first midweek stableford.... grateful of one dry day amid several very wet ones! We're still wet/ball plugged in the rough in places, which feels crazy in April! Weather forecast for the next week looks like there's little respite too!

Springveldt

Visit site
Played yesterday in our first midweek stableford.... grateful of one dry day amid several very wet ones! We're still wet/ball plugged in the rough in places, which feels crazy in April! Weather forecast for the next week looks like there's little respite too!
Forecast looks horrible this week again and even if the rain does stop at the weekend it's basically gale force winds on Saturday and Sunday. Predicted gusts over 40mph each day.

My dog was gutted this morning as he missed out on our early morning walk. Rain was bouncing off the ground at 6:30am and hasn't stopped all day, forecast says it might stop at 6pm tonight. After getting soaked through on Monday my waterproof coat hadn't dried out enough in the garage so there was no way I was going out in it to get soaked again. Coat and hat are now over a radiator drying them out for tonight's walk.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site

I've been saying the exact same thing to my pals. The courses all over are so wet that it's going to take a good 6-8 weeks of dry warm weather for them to be in tournament condition. The weather has caused so much damage to the courses I've played recently.

Zig

Visit site
Forecast looks horrible this week again and even if the rain does stop at the weekend it's basically gale force winds on Saturday and Sunday. Predicted gusts over 40mph each day.

My dog was gutted this morning as he missed out on our early morning walk. Rain was bouncing off the ground at 6:30am and hasn't stopped all day, forecast says it might stop at 6pm tonight. After getting soaked through on Monday my waterproof coat hadn't dried out enough in the garage so there was no way I was going out in it to get soaked again. Coat and hat are now over a radiator drying them out for tonight's walk.
Haha... our lives are alike! I waited till 10 to brave it this morning... my 4YO boxer and me through the sand dunes at Hartlepool GC. Luckily avoided any rain!
Have booked in to play golf tomorrow afternoon (Seaton Carew) with a mate who's hardly played the last 4 months due to the weather (Boldon GC member). Hope the little bit of blue sky forecast holds out!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are struggling to play early matches in Manchester and district knockout, in the mixed thye have granted an extension to get the first round played, but the ladies which I am organising will not extend the date and both our course and the opponents are in terrible condition and neither are fully open. It is very frustrating

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I am getting so bored with this weather, was going to play today and I just couldn't motivate myself to play in 30mph wind and rain/drizzle :cry:

Looks like there's a storm bowling in for the weekend, although not strong enough to be named, 45mph winds predicted šŸ˜­

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One of my reasons for joining the local links course. If winters do stay mild and wet then the parkland courses don't really stand a chance of staying open and you are effectively paying for a 9 month membership at best. My parkland course (well not a member now as the new season started on Monday) must have been shut for around 100 days in total last season and hasn't had 18 main greens on since mid October last year.

Their idea of a temporary green is to just draw a white circle in the fairway 30 yards short of the green and stick a normal sized hole in it. I think they really need to give some thought on how to have better temp greens if this weather continues.
I think I have a 6 month membership now, May to October.
Our greens were great yesterday. 30 putts helped me get a very respectable score.
Greens, bunkers and tees is about all the greenkeepers have been able to pay attention to. They are all fine.
But they can't get mowers safely over the rough and fairways.