Rory and Keopka .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
These guys are 56yds longer than me with their 6 iron.
I hit 160yds they hit a par 3 216yds .
That’s just silly distance.
They will be longer as the clubs get lower.
Different game.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Gym time plus practice practice practice. At least Koepka has a gut like I do. That’s some sort of similarity in physique anyway...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s the technique to build clubhead speed throughout the downswing, using all the muscle groups possible.

That makes the difference.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Rory carrys his 6 iron a shade under 200, TV have a habit of giving the distance to the flag from the back of the back tee which often they're not hitting from. Sure these guys hit it long but they arnt as long as TV would have you think

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s just silly distance.
They will be longer as the clubs get lower.
Different game.
They are in America, the air is warmer and thinner so the ball goes further 🤔. Yeah, okay they play a different game.

If I can play golf bingo for a moment, watch the womens game, they play the same sport as we do 👍

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Are the loft degrees on their clubs the same as yours?
Somewhere in the the past I recall reading that professional golfers have ‘stronger’ lofts, and that today’s 5 iron has a loft similar to that of a 3 or 4 iron of 25 years ago.
Having said that I agree that other technology improvements and personal fitness regimes will have a significant impact, after all they do in other sports.

Just as a aside on the loft issue, is there any reason clubs aren’t just referenced by there loft degree rather than numbers 5, 6, 7 etc. Wedges are stamped 50, 52, 54, 56 etc why shouldn’t other clubs be stamped 27, 32 or whatever ?

D

Deleted member 18588

Are the loft degrees on their clubs the same as yours?
Somewhere in the the past I recall reading that professional golfers have ‘stronger’ lofts, and that today’s 5 iron has a loft similar to that of a 3 or 4 iron of 25 years ago.
Having said that I agree that other technology improvements and personal fitness regimes will have a significant impact, after all they do in other sports.

Just as a aside on the loft issue, is there any reason clubs aren’t just referenced by there loft degree rather than numbers 5, 6, 7 etc. Wedges are stamped 50, 52, 54, 56 etc why shouldn’t other clubs be stamped 27, 32 or whatever ?

I think you will find that Tour players irons generally have weaker lofts than those played by club golfers.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes I played off 1 at the peak of my game ,20yrs ago mind.
But got nowhere near them distances.
Do you think that can be taught or are you just naturally long.?

I think you can add a bit, but to keep the control and accuracy is difficult.
And if you think about, it only really affects the driver and maybe the 3 wood

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no different to comparisons with any other top sports man, you would run as fast as Usain Bolt, or Smash a Tennis ball like big Roge, so why would you comp yourself to two of the very best in golf?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

Does it help if I tell you that you hit your 6 iron rougly 56 yards longer than I do mine?

Also, you are comparing yourself with world class athletes here. I am pretty certain that you swim a lot slower than a Michael Phelps, too. But I wouldn't blame his swim suit for it. Actually, the pros normally play irons with much more classic lofts than what the average amateur player buys in a store nowadays. Rors and Brooks hit it a lot longer than you because a) they are naturally very talented and b) they spend a large amount of time both ont he driving range and in the gym.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unlike us they have people to look for their balls. Talent, training and time probably helps.

It's what's on the scorecard that matters.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
today’s 5 iron has a loft similar to that of a 3 or 4 iron of 25 years ago.

QUOTE]

That is right plus longer and lighter weight shafts ay least in the club that you will buy of the shelf.

Different manufacturers will have different lofts though according to what model you buy.

I have Mizuno Tour 900s and they have more loft than the bigger head Mizzies.

D

Deleted member 18588

The pro's irons do not have these stronger lofts.

Most of them are playing blades and those that aren't will likely be using shallow cavity backs.

They don't want the strong lofts and are far more concerned about the workability of their irons.

If you are trying to hit a controlled fade or draw clubs designed to help on the mishits of handicap golfers are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Siolag

Visit site
I’m totally convinced that after a few shots to get used the difference, Rory and Brooks would annihilate my course with my clubs.

As mentioned above, would you run a parkrun in 23 minutes and then say you’d take 10 minutes off that if you had Mo Farahs shoes?