Roll Back Discussion

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, I got the sense that you think it shouldn't impact recreational golfers whereas I think it should.

yes, growing the rough negatively impacts the recreational golfer. Slower rounds, more lost balls, frustration.

a ball for an amateur that would go 5 yards less is much better and I hope it becomes a full rollback for all by 2030 or so

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
yes, growing the rough negatively impacts the recreational golfer. Slower rounds, more lost balls, frustration.

a ball for an amateur that would go 5 yards less is much better and I hope it becomes a full rollback for all by 2030 or so

The only courses that are going to need to grow the rough would be those hosting top level comps aren't they? Why would amateurs effectively benefit from making their home courses longer?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only courses that are going to need to grow the rough would be those hosting top level comps aren't they? Why would amateurs effectively benefit from making their home courses longer?

I was writing about the hundreds of courses across the globe that would simply ‘grow the rough’ as seems to be the fix from many here. they will be impacted.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats consistent with the R&A data I think.

The distance increase due to ball and club development happened in 1995-2005. Since then, there has been no distance gain, year to year, (despite the claims of those hoodwinked by the manufacturers unrelenting marketing).

Arcos data, doesnt go back that far. Within a margin of error, I would take that data to be no change in the last four years, though it does possibly indicate that technology maybe has gone back a little. Possibly they know that carbon heads and turbulators and the like are slightly counterproductive, but implement them nonetheless t have a story to tell each spring beyond just new colourways.

The horse bolted on distance 20 years ago. Its a shame the R&A and USGA didnt go with this ball limit (or another 15 yards shorter even) back then.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Since pros don’t have arcoss sensors on their clubs I got this from last years distance report. Looks like the big hike ended around 2005 but it has still increased since then.

Arcoss data is all very well but I haven’t heard many people saying there’s a distance problem for regular club golfers so I don’t think it is relevant in this debate. I cant remember most of the thread though so I could be wrong.
1680368597744.png

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Since pros don’t have arcoss sensors on their clubs I got this from last years distance report. Looks like the big hike ended around 2005 but it has still increased since then.

Arcoss data is all very well but I haven’t heard many people saying there’s a distance problem for regular club golfers so I don’t think it is relevant in this debate. I cant remember most of the thread though so I could be wrong.
View attachment 47188

One of the reasons I ditched modern clubs was because I wasn't experiencing golf's full spectrum.

If even a relatively short hitting old fart like me had noticed the change then long hitters must have their heads in the sand, or they just like drive, short iron par fours and not having any par fives that play as three shotters.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the reasons I ditched modern clubs was because I wasn't experiencing golf's full spectrum.

If even a relatively short hitting old fart like me had noticed the change then long hitters must have their heads in the sand, or they just like drive, short iron par fours and not having any par fives that play as three shotters.

What do you think a 400 yard hole should play (club-wise) for an average club golfer?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
What do you think a 400 yard hole should play (club-wise) for an average club golfer?
My understanding is that your average club golfer has a mid-teen (17.2) handicap. Obviously distance doesn't denote handicap as a very long hitter may have a terrible short game. But to answer your question I would say driver, hybrid.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My understanding is that your average club golfer has a mid-teen (17.2) handicap. Obviously distance doesn't denote handicap as a very long hitter may have a terrible short game. But to answer your question I would say driver, hybrid.

Do you think that’s what it is now, or what it should be? Or are they one and the same?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I don't care much about what anyone thinks it should be and after giving it a bit more thought I think I was being generous and that the average golfer in the UK is hitting driver, wood/hybrid and probably chipping at the end of all that.
The average golfers who are hitting driver, 8 iron are missing the green 30 yards right. If they are not then they are not average golfers, either that or terrible putters.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Average golfer is hard to define so here's a few options with today's equipment:

20 to 40 year old, 12 to 18 handicap - drive 250+ followed by short iron (8 or less) to green.
40 to 50 year old, 12 to 18 handicap - drive 240+ followed by 7 iron or less to green.
50 to 60 year old, 12 to 18 handicap - drive 220+ followed by mid-iron or hybrid to green.
60 to 70 year old, 12 to 18 handicap - drive 200'ish followed by fairway wood or long iron to green.

Assuming the course was built 1980 or earlier, the hole might have been designed to be played for the majority of players as drive 200+ followed by fairway wood or long iron to green.

The above of course are hypothetical and don't take into account any miss-hits.

It's the 325 to 350 yard holes that have really been made a mockery of though.

D-S

Visit site
Average golfer is hard to define so here's a few options with today's equipment:

20 to 40 year old, 12 to 18 handicap - drive 250+ followed by short iron (8 or less) to green.
40 to 50 year old, 12 to 18 handicap - drive 240+ followed by 7 iron or less to green.
50 to 60 year old, 12 to 18 handicap - drive 220+ followed by mid-iron or hybrid to green.
60 to 70 year old, 12 to 18 handicap - drive 200'ish followed by fairway wood or long iron to green.

Assuming the course was built 1980 or earlier, the hole might have been designed to be played for the majority of players as drive 200+ followed by fairway wood or long iron to green.

The above of course are hypothetical and don't take into account any miss-hits.

It's the 325 to 350 yard holes that have really been made a mockery of though.

From the report quoted in post 488, your driving yardages are about 20 yards out (too far) according to 2022 data.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a few too many forum distances being used here 😄. A 400yd hole is needing 3 shots to the green for about half of the field, based on most golfers I've played with over the years. The last shot may just be a dink, a punch or a little pitch but many will need that 3rd shot before the putter comes out.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
From the report quoted in post 488, your driving yardages are about 20 yards out (too far) according to 2022 data.

Those averages no doubt include all types of weather and course conditions, I'm imagining about good weather and course conditions.

From my experience, for a reasonably fit young to middle aged golfer, the need for long irons and fairway woods on all but the longest par fours no longer exists.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Those averages no doubt include all types of weather and course conditions, I'm imagining about good weather and course conditions.

From my experience, for a reasonably fit young to middle aged golfer, the need for long irons and fairway woods on all but the longest par fours no longer exists.
I would agree with this.
But we do need them on some of the stupidly long par 3s now.!