Roll Back Discussion

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My opinion is growing the rough is missing the point. Holes like the 18th at st andrews, the current distance make this a 3 wood par 3, even if you manufactured a 5 yard wide fairway with 2 foor rough, its still not playing anything like how it was (i.e an easy drive, and a wedge off a hilly lie to a hard slopey green). If you just grow the rough, the game becomes even more one dimensional. Drive as far as you can, hack it near the green....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What you're saying doesn't make sense. Why is any of that an incentive for anyone to voluntarily give up distance vs their fellow competitors? It just sounds like you're saying you wish they would.
Whilst they love extra distance they also love ball control particularly from 8 iron in. To get the level of control they want, distance, spin etc, they need to know what the ball will do. If they are changing to two entirely different balls they will not get familiar enough with it to trust. They will choose one and stick with it, imo.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My opinion is growing the rough is missing the point. Holes like the 18th at st andrews, the current distance make this a 3 wood par 3, even if you manufactured a 5 yard wide fairway with 2 foor rough, its still not playing anything like how it was (i.e an easy drive, and a wedge off a hilly lie to a hard slopey green). If you just grow the rough, the game becomes even more one dimensional. Drive as far as you can, hack it near the green....

Does it matter if it's a 3 wood par 3 for the pros? (Not that it really is) I honestly don't get the logic of the argument that it's not playing how it was designed.

Sand Trapped

Visit site
Agree with Rory's interview with NLU in that the game is now purely bomb and gouge. Haven't seen mid-long irons into par 4s on a regular basis in a long time. Ripping back wedges gets a little boring (and is frankly, pretty unrelatable for us amateurs).

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
As this thread seems to be all about repeating things (well, nearly all threads are these days):

"We want a wound balata ball!"

(Or at least a ball with those characteristics)

It would increase the enjoyment of every golfer, from beginner to Pro, from junior to senior, both male and female.

Most golfers have never even hit one so don't knock it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As this thread seems to be all about repeating things (well, nearly all threads are these days):

(Or at least a ball with those characteristics)

It would increase the enjoyment of every golfer, from beginner to Pro, from junior to senior, both male and female.

Most golfers have never even hit one so don't knock it.
I have and you could slice or hook the Horlicks off them.
one misshit and it’s a gonna.
modern grooves in wedges would rip them to shreds.

apart from that they were great and would show who’s the best ball strikers.
a harder ball does require less skill.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I have and you could slice or hook the Horlicks off them.
one misshit and it’s a gonna.
modern grooves in wedges would rip them to shreds.

apart from that they were great and would show who’s the best ball strikers.
a harder ball does require less skill.

I did add or ball "with those characteristics" which is the only way it's ever going to happen as making a wound ball is expensive.

Here's another idea, and this one really has some mileage.

A lot of suggestions seem to have been aimed at discouraging Pros to take driver from the tee.
Well what about putting a fence or net in front of the tee so that they have to take a club with more loft to get over it?

Hell Yeah!

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I did add or ball "with those characteristics" which is the only way it's ever going to happen as making a wound ball is expensive.

A lot of suggestions seem to have been aimed at discouraging Pros to take driver from the tee.
Well what about putting a fence or net in front of the tee so that they have to take a club with more loft to get over it?

Hell Yeah!

Or a little windmill that they have to hit it through.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Hell Yeah!

How about 4 randomly selected golfers get given an exploding ball totally at random on day 1 of any event, if they're lucky enough to see their ball explode on the first tee of day 1 they automatically qualify to play Sunday equal with the leader at the start of the day!

THE DRAMA :ROFLMAO:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hell Yeah!
Yes they could lengthen the course by using someone back garden.;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
How about 4 randomly selected golfers get given an exploding ball totally at random on day 1 of any event, if they're lucky enough to see their ball explode on the first tee of day 1 they automatically qualify to play Sunday equal with the leader at the start of the day!

THE DRAMA :ROFLMAO:

I thought LIV were already doing this?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
You mean like this?

Alan Clifford

Visit site